Pink Floyd SACD of "wish you were here" analogue productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEG, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

Is all the hoopla and all that right? I'm a 2 channel guy. $35 bucks. Worth it? Thanks.

2. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

This has been previously released, it's a reissue of the original SACD that came out some years back.

People quibble about the surround mix, some like it, some don't. But the stereo mix is a hi res transfer of the original stereo mix, IIRC, and I always thought it sounded very nice. I'd probably rate it as my second favorite behind the 2-track early Japanese CD version.

To be honest, WYWH is one of those albums where almost every mastering sounds at least pretty good. But if you're after a hi resolution version of it, I'd say go for it.

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I agree, it's not hoopla. It's a re-issue. AP is also re-issuing the 5.1 Hybrid of DSotM. Nothing that hasn't been discussed before. If you missed out before, this is your chance to get a copy.

tmtomh and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Get it for the 5.1
    If not your thing, just grab an old one. (I didn't care much for this mastering)
    However the book design and postcards are very nice :)

5. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I would get it for the 5.1 which is the only way I listen to it recently but IMO the stereo mix is the worst I have ever heard,my favorite stereo version BTW is the Japan 2 track as well .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    Espen R likes this.
  6. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Which Japanese 2 track version? I have a 2000 paper sleeve version, ripping now

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Edit: 35DP 4. Now that I look on Discogs, there was more than one release of this catalogue number.

c-eling and Bill Mac like this.
  8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Crazy, the SACD stereo is by far my preferred version. It has the most space, depth, and detail. I have the Japanese 2-track and it’s great, but lacks that extra oomph of the SACD. I also prefer the SACD over the 24/96 hi-res version on the Immersion set.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. Once the original WYWH APO SACD was OOP the prices went crazy. Those that paid crazy money are probably not to happy that a "Special Limited Edition" release is being reissued. Does the reissued SACD have "Special Limited Edition" text on the book spine?

[​IMG]

Original APO SACD - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Reissued APO SACD - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I'm not a huge fan of James Guthrie's WYWH 5.1 mix. Lately I prefer the 4.0 quad mix off of the WYWH Immersion set Blu-ray.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I like the Black Faced W. German CD the best for stereo, but the SACD is great for the surround mix.

CybrKhatru and Yost like this.
  11. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Considering how much the originals were going for, $35 is a bargain.

Anyone know how many copies were made in 2011? I haven’t read anything about this being limited.

tmtomh and dadonred like this.
  12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I agree with the EU black face Harvest having the best sound in stereo. Although I have a Made in Japan version. It’s also not that expensive to find (at least in Europe).

CybrKhatru likes this.
  13. trickness

Ahh, thanks. This is what I have

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

That's the Doug Sax remaster.

15. HiResGeek

I prefer 35DP-4 to the “black face” (CDP 46035 2), although it’s very close, IMO. Both sound great. In fact, almost every mastering of this album is at least pretty good. The nice thing about the latter disc is that you don’t need to worry about the dreaded pre-emphasis issue though!

danielbravo, kiddo4 and Dave like this.
  16. trickness

I am blissfully ignorant as to what that even is, thank the fates :righton:

17. HiResGeek

Honestly, lucky you. :laugh:

trickness likes this.
  18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

No it does not.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. art

art Senior Member

Same .

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm curious have you compared any? I seem to recall liking the DSD on the SACD but not being thrilled with the redbook. This weekend I heard the 24/96 stereo from the Immersion BD and liked it as well.

Not addressing this to you, but just thought I would mention it in general- every 2-track CD is digitally identical.

There is another thread on this release: It looks like Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here AP will be released on 12-28

So I'll copy my question here- I'm sure this was covered elsewhere- is the DSD on this SACD the same mastering as the 24/96 stereo on the Immersion BD? I listened to the 24/96 and I really liked the sound quality.

21. HiResGeek

My understanding is yes, the stereo and 5.1 hi res layers on the BD and SACD are the same masters. Ive heard both and I’ve never been able to tell the difference between them.

tmtomh and hvbias like this.
  22. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

There's been a blind listening test on this forum a while ago. The conclusion was that there were no bad CD masters so folk could pick the version that appealed to them the most.

If you like the latest CD master (& I do) then the SACD is similar but sounds better, sounding slightly more tuneful, richer & detailed.

danielbravo and tmtomh like this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

As far as I know, the SACD 2-channel DSD mastering is unique to that disc, and the hi-res on the Immersion set is a separate mastering.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was under the impression the WYWH SACD and WYWH Immersion set DVD/Blu-ray have the same stereo mastering. If that's not correct who did the mastering for each format?

25. This just came up in another thread. Someone ran a frequency comparison back when the Immersion set came out and the masterings aren't identical. At least for the original WYWH SACD.