Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

BryanA-HTX, RickH, ando here and 4 others like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

All the proof you need that Billboard method of counting N streams of ANY tracks from an album as an album sale is ridiculous.

3. there isn't just one "market."

Of course, clearly the big industry outlets see it that way. They've seen it the same way for decades. It's all about dollars and cents to them. As far back as the 1980s, they were branding artists as failures if their last record didn't sell as much as the one before it, even if it went multi-platinum.

But there are all sorts of niche markets out there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Okay everyone, it's official. Throw out all your LP's and CD's! Hahahahahaha! :laugh:

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are albums on Bandcamp from fully independent artists that sell more albums than that yet won't top any of the Billboard charts.

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I mean, sure - physical albums are dead.

I could have it on some physical format though I'm probably listening to it with foobar where I can start any album I want, no disc or tape needed.

However, the concept of a one whole piece of music to define an artist isn't completely dead. A lot of genres work better with a single only format, some don't. I don't really see digital only rock releases or even single only, we usually see albums in that area. Nearly every other genre save for things like modern classical don't require an entire album and never did, think of all your favorite artists pre 1970 and how many non-LP tracks you love.

7. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

That’s because music is dead.

LRP99, Galaga King, Tuco and 50 others like this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Funny you should post this topic right after I wanted to buy a CD album of '80's German synthpop band C.C.C.P. on Amazon to get their one hit wonder "American-Soviets". It's all streaming or mp3. The only CD is a used one at $36. I mean I could just pay for the one hit song mp3 download for a little over a dollar, but NOOOOO! They don't want my $10 or so to offer an album on CD at a reasonable price.

Maybe it's not so funny. There have been other rare vintage pop albums I'ld like to buy on CD that are only offered as individual downloads or streamed.

9. GimmieSomeTruth

GimmieSomeTruth Well-Known Member

Music has been fully hijacked by programming and mind manipulation

10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Weird, I still buy them.

The number of people shopping at my local record store is consistently increasing.
    I guess I imagined that line of people on Record Store Day.

I’m sure the majority of casual listeners prefer streaming but music freaks seem to still like the real thing.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

someone had to do it

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Giobacco, MelodyFair, Bevok and 24 others like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Sorry for your loss. Mine live on.

wayne66, Fullbug, Paul R and 40 others like this.
  13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

This guy's total actual album sales amount to only around $11,000.

So basically he's pretty much broke yet his album is #1 on the Billboard charts.

Kudos!

14. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

"Hoodie SZN" is rapper A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie's second full-length studio album

This totally reads like it was written by The Onion.

15. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

People stream these days, it is what it is.

16. spencer1

Begs the question, why come to a place where people love albums, physical media and start a thread with that title?
    Strange.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Also, thanks to "Friday, Friday", pop music is dead.
    Thanks to Florida Georgia Line, country music is dead.
    Thanks to streaming, ponds and lakes are dead.
    Thanks to Slim Whitman, The Beatles and Elvis combined are dead.
    Thanks to Huffington Post, The Daily Beast and Politico, The New York Times is dead.

Thanks to idiots who look at one week's sales chart and proclaim things are dead...dying is dead.

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

snark level 6.2

19. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Maybe. For now.

I bought my step grandniece a CD player and a bunch of CDs for her 13th birthday and she was thrilled. Albums are not dead for her.

We sell some vinyl at my wife's used bookstore and many (I'd say a bit more than half) who come and browse and buy them are under 30. Albums are not dead for them.

Plus, I don't think selling a billion of something necessarily means it is better or even good.

As for music being "dead". I don't think so. It's just hibernating a bit. It's going to wake up again.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'll have to try harder.

klockwerk, ARK, wrappedinsky and 2 others like this.
  21. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

This is just posted to remind people you still need physical formats of music. Not everyone is Drake. :rolleyes:

22. Billboard has always been a marketing tool for the record labels, nothing more and nothing less. They changed the metrics behind what constitutes a #1 album because the music industry's current target audience weren't buying albums and Billboard would lose all relevance to anyone under 30 if all it counted today were physical sales, which skew heavily toward older and established acts.

Billboard can't be a marketing tool to help sell an album if the top sellers have little appeal to the younger crowds. It was a way for Billboard to remain relevant. And yes, these post-2014 numbers mean almost nothing. People are hung up on it because the Billboard concept used to mean something to many people, especially music fans.

23. spencer1

“I have even heard on good authority that I was dead ... the report of my death was an exaggeration.”
    Mark Twain

klockwerk, Paul R, ARK and 9 others like this.
  24. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Exactly...

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.