Queensryche/Queensrÿche - "The Verdict" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Have we figured out who is playing drums on this album yet? It's definitely not Scott, since they've been all secretive about it and obviously wouldn't be so if he were on it.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. agentalbert

I didn't know that. I haven't followed any news about them since the last album. Why isn't Scott playing?

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He took a leave of absence from the band in early 2017 because he had a newborn, but apparently the guy who has been filling in for him live isn't on the record either. But it's been almost two years and still no word on his status. I mean, members come and go, but to be down to two guys, no offense to Wilton or Eddie Jackson, doesn't really bode well for the band, IMO. I was firmly in the QR camp when they split 5 years ago, since La Torre is a far better vocalist at this juncture (at least as far as ability to sing classic Queensryche songs), but they really can't afford to lose any more members and retain credibility.

5. agentalbert

Now that you mention the leave of absence and newborn, I do remember that. I never thought it would mean he wouldn't be recording the new album with them, though.

There's a forum at the official QR site, and its probably being discussed there, unless mods are killing posts on it. But you can't even view the forum without registering, and I didn't want to bother.

Matthew Tate and walrus like this.
  6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Todd is playing drums on the new album

Stormrider77 and Purple like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the singer?

Purple likes this.
  8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Yep

9. agentalbert

Another new track "Dark Reverie" out now.

FVDnz and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. agentalbert

Dark Reverie didn't do much for me. It's okay, but I prefer the first track. Still glad there is a new album coming and I'm looking forward to it.

Matthew Tate, bru87tr and Purple like this.
  11. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Todd confirmed in an interview today he plays the drums on the album.

Loved the first single. Second could be a grower. Have liked/loved everything with Todd since he joined. Fresh and vital sounding.

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. agentalbert

Did he say who's playing on the tour?

13. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I should I just find you the link, but no. He teases that they thought to have duelling drums sometime on stage, or have Scott and Todd switch spots for a few songs. Nothing about touring in 2019. I would guess it would be Scott's old replacement, Casey Grillo from Kamelot.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Bummer that Rockenfeld isn't gonna be on it. He may be my favorite metal drummer. At this point you have to wonder if he is ever coming back. I get why he wanted a break from touring, with a young child, but you wouldn't think that would keep him out of the studio unless he just doesn't want to do it anymore.

sound chaser and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I actually wasn't too impressed by the first, like the second single better.
    Todd sounds too much like Geoff for my liking. I stopped buying after Geoff left, but imo QR already lost it then.

16. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Wow, I didn’t know that Grillo subbed for Scott. To be honest, that seems like an odd choice. Grillo is a total pro, but his strengths lie in an area very different from Scott’s.

Anybody seen them live with Grillo? How was he?

17. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Yup... that's my gripe with the current QR. Todd just comes off as a soulless clone of Geoff Tate ca. 1980-something. For as frustrating as Geoff became over the past couple of decades, at least he had some charisma as a frontman.

I will be going to see them on their current tour, but it's primarily for the opening act - Fates Warning.

18. Matthew Tate

I agree. tate has a tone and presence that todd does not no matter how good of a clone he is

19. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I thought Condition Human was a good album for the most part. But these singles are awful. Boring and lifeless.

And as a huge QR fan, there is no way they should have billing over Fates Warning at this point in their careers. Maybe 20 years ago. But Fates is putting out much better music with a better lineup. But that's a minor gripe, I suppose.

20. Matthew Tate

sadly the billing usually applies to who was bigger at some point

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Sooo... are they just gonna hand him the keys to the whole band? :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

It's all about the money. I've seen both QR and Fates Warning headline shows in the past ~3 years -- QR filled a 1500 head venue, and the Fates Warning show was maybe 300 heads. QR is just a much more widely known band.
    The Fates Warning show was possibly the best concert I've ever been to... definitely in the top 3. I'm hoping that they get more than a 30 minute set as an opening act.

23. Man, I would really love to like this, but with those cliched and hakeneyed lyrics I feel there's no message beyond the topics we felt in high school. Well, when I was in high school Queensryche gave us the more thought provoking Operation Mindcrime.

Is it too much to ask for a little thought behind the pen? Ink is plentiful.

24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

He did at least

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.