Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Two. One for the US, one for the UK!

GordonM, team2 and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes color different but they both used the same stampers. Tasty!

team2 and Neonbeam like this.
  3. team2

team2 Forum Resident

It never occurred to me that Drag City might be different -- good catch. (The dead wax still has the Duophonic stamp though...)

Echoes Myron and GordonM like this.
  4. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Will be very excited to see the reissues, especially Dots and Loops. Also hoping that they come to Chicago - I have to imagine that they would, seeing as D&L was recorded here, if I recall.

Hoping this reissue itch spreads to their friends The High Llamas, as they have a few titles I'd like as well!

Machiventa, Max Florian and team2 like this.
  5. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

I spent waaaay too much money collecting Stereolab. I had two goals before getting married in 2001: getting rid of my credit card debt and finish up getting the rest of the miscellaneous EP's, LP's and singles, all the permutations, of Stereolab. Somehow accomplished both. There was some weird stuff out there. Towels, laundry bags, yo-yos, jigsaw puzzles, coffee cups. The mind reels...

Summerisle and DrewMeyer like this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

We still use our laundry bag.

8. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

I couldn't bring myself to do it! (have both the burgundy and the green)

Danby Delight likes this.
  9. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Wait...what?

There's a Stereolab laundry bag?

10. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Stumbled upon a Stereolab goldmine today. A Record Shop near me got lots of 90s stereolab vinyl recently. Basically everything to fill the gaps in my lab collection and more. All in good shape, but pricey. Brought Emperor Tomato Ketchup - the 2lp gold with glitter first press in nm state - home with me after we settled on a 90 euro price tag. it sounds and looks gorgeous! Tempted to jump in to a few other items, but being reasonable I got to ask myself and you guys if it’s not a better option to just wait for the future reissues? The first ones were well done and I doubt the multiple 90 eur album investment strategy makes sense if I just want nice playing copies?

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yeah, it was sold during their last US tour.

12. kevimetal

Curious if it was Substance in Vienna? That record shop blows my mind, and I seek it out every time I'm in Vienna.

erowid likes this.
  13. erowid

yes, it was substance indeed! :)

kevimetal likes this.
  14. erowid

what do you guys think? should I buy the original pressings from Mars... to Sound Dust for 60 to 90 EUR a piece or wait for the next wave of reissues to arrive? I'm tempted to go for the originals, but it's a lot of money. already own originals of transient..., emperor..., music for..., dots and loops, and cobra... while also enjoying the recent remasters / reissues of the first 2 albums and the 3 switched on compilations.
    opinions welcome!

15. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Personally I would hold out. (Although, if there were a 10" Music for.. I would be tempted!) The reissues should be more than worth it to fill gaps and highly playable!

erowid likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah unless you are a collector the reissues should do.

erowid likes this.
  17. erowid

they do have that 10inch as well as the ultra rare simple headphone mind 12inch .... tempting.

18. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Tempting indeed - but those prices are steep! It's unclear to me that either of those will be reissued as Music for... wasn't a proper album as such and is included in its entirety on Aluminum Tunes. I managed to snag Simple Headphone Mind on 12" and CD when they came out and since the music isn't included anywhere else that I'm aware of that would be tempting! The packaging is a pain due to the stick-down flap. The next time I remove the 12" from the sleeve it's staying out!
    [​IMG]

erowid and Hallogallo like this.
  19. kevimetal

I want to live in that record store. I stumbled upon it the first time I was in Vienna, and my wife had to pull me out of there after about 30 minutes- I was getting the thousand yard stare trying to take in the awesomeness of Substance. I seriously could spend hundreds of euros in there. The thing that is so great about that shop is they have such a deep, eclectic collection. I've never seen any shop that categorizes some sections by record label. Only shop that I can think of that compares is the (now defunct, or maybe different owners) Aquarius Records in San Francisco.

I just wish Substance made t-shirts, I would gladly provide free advertising for them!

erowid likes this.
  20. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I'd go for the originals, what I do have all sounds incredible and the one recent reissue I got was switched on vol. 1 (had originals for 2 and 3) and it is decent sounding but was kind of warped. Every original I have is practically perfect (emperor is a little noisy but I suspect that is from the glitter). Mars sounds great, check if it has the 7"!

erowid likes this.
  21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Any other information on shows? Especially in mid-central USA?! :D

Hallogallo likes this.
  22. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Simple Headphone Mind is one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!

marmalade166 and erowid like this.
  23. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Holy crap, how did I miss this?!? I pretty much have all of theirs on vinyl aside from ETK, so it will be nice to get that one finally. Never thought they would tour again, though, this is going to be an exciting year.

kevimetal likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

:goodie: :goodie::goodie::goodie:
    BOING ! BOING ! BOING ! BOING !!

:D

Great news !:thumbsup:

25. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I think the 1972 version sounds really good. Would definitely like to upgrade, though.

erowid likes this.