Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Ooh look what I rated as the perfect song last year.

sonnyrock likes this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Bobby Osborne released this just hours ago:

melstapler likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Did anybody find out why BF are closing their DVD department?
    Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

melstapler likes this.
  4. I can't speak for Bear Family, but the DVD market is rapidly shrinking. It's being eaten alive in the United States by Netflix and other streaming providers. Blu-rays are holding up fairly well for now, but the typical DVD consumer is transitioning very quickly to digital video services.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Yes it seems very much the case. It's concerning how much material may be lost or removed that is
    put up for streaming. It's so easy to find something you like online to watch, only to find out
    some point down the line, the video has been removed for whatever reason.
    There was a time when I was heavy buying music DVD's, that I thought finally this stuff will now
    last and be in print for generations to come. Now as I look over many of those even, many of them
    are now out of print, unavailable, and certainly not on any streaming services.
    So often I get caught out saying to other forum members, 'get a copy of this, it only cost me 'blah blah'...
    Then I get informed that they are long OOP and selling for ridiculous money IF they are on eBay.
    Probably why I'm still and will always be a 'hard copy' kind of guy.
    Quite happy to purchase and know that 10 years down the track, I can still rip it out
    to watch and not worry about it disappearing on a streaming service.

6. Music content on DVDs are often one-offs, sadly. I've seen so many music DVDs go out of print and the current streaming services seem to have little interest in carrying them, likely due to complicated and tricky rights situations. Heck, we've seen a lot of music content trapped on VHS that I don't think will ever see a release again.

7. Rick Bartlett

Unfortunately, it looks as though as time prevails, the situation will become more dire
    as larger companies take ownership and the rights, leaving the fans out in the cold and being
    at the mercy of the majors.
    While groups like 'Universal' take control, there goes so much taken away from guys like
    BF that handle the artists and the material with care.
    We've been lucky with folks like Richard Weize that have fought the battle for so long,
    but it seems lady luck is running out, and so many artists will not get the due calling.

8. rod

rod Senior Member

They discovered that people stopped buying their DVDs after they discovered that they had a big bear watermark in the lower right of the picture throughout the video.

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

DVDs are alright, but I've always preferred to have the live recordings on CD, unless they're exclusively released on DVD.

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This is such an awful, awful truth.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

A teaser from a movie.I got that on DVD.Bought it on Amazon 17 years ago.It is great.It is out of print.Maybe you can find used on Ebay.

12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally bought Moon's Rock by Moon Mullican. I'd held off on this collection because the early Decca/Coral tracks try to extrude him through the Nashville Sound mold which really didn't suit his style. However, the later material puts him back in the honky tonks where he belongs.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I actually have this. Anyone know the song being recorded in the Bob Johnstone segment?

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just listening to the Everly Brothers Box...damn it's fab...the outtakes are great!

15. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Yes these are on there as background singers:
    The Anita Kerr Singers Oh Lonesome Me

PhantomStranger likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The golden age of DVDs seems to have coincided with the golden age of CDs. Both are over.

Young people tell me they can listen to ANYTHING whenever they want. But they don't. Their curiosity is so narrow that all they do is listen to a few things that their friends are into.

Reader likes this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yes, but where available I’ll take them both in the same package!

How come when it comes to music they still prefer DVD over Blu Ray? Do they figure if we’re buying physical media we must be stuck in old formats too?

melstapler likes this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Where on Earth can I find these two discs you mention? Love this guy but I’ve never even heard of these...

melstapler likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Just trying to find out some info, but this is what I found.
    I tried to google the musicians and Bob Johnston and found this article.
    It may relate to Lenoard Cohen, but I don't know anything about him so maybe
    someone else can help.
    You'll have to scroll down about half way down to find a post by a person n
    named 'Joe Way'
    Bob Johnston - leonardcohenforum.com
    I didn't know it was Charlie Daniels playing in that clip either!
    He looks so different.
    Can't help you on what the song is called however.
    Found this too, 'whatever happened to Herbie?' the young guy who was in
    the film looking for fame and success.
    RECENT LETTERS: Country Western Archives
    my question: who is the guy that does the version of 'guitar man'?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  20. Rick Bartlett

I tried to adjust my previous message, can't do errrrr!
    The end credits may suggest that instrumental recording at the Bob Johnston session
    may be called 'Louise' by Bubba Fowler.
    I've only just realised after all these years, that the documentary is quite condensed.
    The end credits show over other artists that performed but were not in the feature.
    Is this only on my Australian release? Run time on my copy of 'Nashville Sound' runs
    for about 90 minutes.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  21. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I wanted that Hux Records twofer but due to budget constraints I never got around to ordering it, and now it seems to be oop. I'd really like a brand new copy, not used. What' up with Hux Records? They seem to be defunct!?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Yeah , Daniels and Doug Kershaw.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't think blu-ray improves the quality of circa 1960 television

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Fair enough for this and some other releases, but plenty only get DVD when they’re on film and could be much better on Blu.

Tribute likes this.
  25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I love that disc, the sound is really good.

Tim 2, melstapler and Michael like this.