Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

There has to be another reason. On the Doors' debut album Morrison is emphasized over the other Doors on the cover, and on most of the comps over the years he has been. On some, only Morrison is featured.

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I bought Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine when I was 13, in 7th grade I think. I still think it's one of the best--maybe the best Doors comp. Masswriter is right about the track list choices -- they fit perfectly.

Dale

3. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Here's the track listings:
    Side 1:
    Break On Through
    Strange Days
    Shaman's Blues
    Love Street
    Peace Frog/Blue Sunday
    The Wasp (Texas Radio & The Big Beat)
    End Of The Night

Side 2:
    Love Her Madly
    Spanish Caravan
    Ship Of Fools
    The Spy
    The End

Side 3:
    Take It As It Comes
    Running Blue
    L.A. Woman
    Five To One
    Who Scared You
    (You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further

Side 4:
    Riders On The Storm
    Maggie McGill
    Horse Latitudes
    When The Music's Over
    :cool:

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Here's the reel label.

Attached Files:

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Doors 13 was my introduction to The Doors. Loved that album/8 track/ cassette!!!:D

[​IMG]

6. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

Thanks for the tracklistings guys, masswriter pmed me the link and i have to say that is a great collection of songs and i can see right off the bat that they would flow nicely together. Ending with when the musics over is pretty sweet. To me there is no better doors tune than that one. Damit now i have to go listen to it........:)

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Anyone else think that Land Ho has no business on 13?

8. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Yup. I've never really liked that one.

9. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Found this on a DOORS website:
    While Morrison received the most attention, including getting a far larger image of himself on album covers, he was adamant about all the band members getting recognition. Before one concert when the announcer introduced the group as "Jim Morrison and The Doors," Morrison refused to appear unless he announced the group again as "The Doors." While he never felt close to his real life family, he was extremely protective of the rest of the members of The Doors. Reportedly, he once told Ray Manzarek that he never felt comfortable in a social setting unless Ray or another band member of the band was with him. Many people have concluded that he viewed The Doors as his surrogate family. He repeatedly turned down every solo album opportunity he was offered, and after his death the remaining band members refused to replace him.

All true except for the last line. Seems they changed their minds.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm fairly sure this was on CD once in Germany back in the mid to late 80s. And gone quickly.

I also did my own version from DCC and the complete albums box set plus a needle drop. Cover art was scanned and reduced, came out really great.

11. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Pity Jimbo couldn't come up with a better couplet than 'Nothin' left to do but run, run, run/Let's run' to complement the steal from Frazer.

;)

If you're familiar with 'The Lords and New Creatures', you'll know that Morrison borrowed freely from 1960s French film theory, Rimbaud and pseudo-occult drivel. Hell, 'End of The Night', 'Been Down So Long', 'Hyacinth House' and 'When The Music's Over' all steal from literary sources - sometimes openly, other times obliquely. I don't hold it against Morrison: hell, I read a lot great stuff by chasing up all his references - 'Life Against Death', 'On The Road', Edith Hamilton's book 'Mythology', 'Thus Spake Zarathustra', Cahiers Du Cinema, etc.

The good thing about Morrison is that he made these things somewhat accessible - or, at least, brought them into your everyday frames of reference. That's certainly something to be appreciative of.

12. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

This was my introduction to The Doors. I actually remember buying it on December 31, 1980.

Attached Files:

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

As I promised, here is the runout groove information on my pressing of "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine". BTW, mine is a Canadian pressing (Manufactured by - WEA Music of Canada LTD.) Maybe they were mastered better than the American pressings. All I know is that it sounds fantastic!

SIDE 1: 8E.6001A
    SIDE 2: 8E.6001B (with the number "2" in a circle)
    SIDE 3: 8E.6001C #2
    SIDE 4: 8E.6001D #3

All sides also have "CR" etched in the runout groove, what looks like "ac.", and "TLC - T", except for Side 4 which has "CR" and "TLC - T" but not "ac.". Side 2 is the side that really blows me away (but all sides sound great). When I play "Spanish Caravan" the guitars sound like they are being played "live" in my living room.

14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Iwish they would reconsider . . .maybe drop a line to Jeff Jampol of Doors Management.

15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Same here. I heard side one on the radio and went straight to the record store. Too bad they mucked up the CD. :shake:

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:righton:

17. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

This is good but how do I print it to CD jewel box size?

18. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

If they decide they need more money, it will come out.:D

You have to love these guys - they don't mind selling their music for commercials and other ventures, but won't reissue one of their 87 best of compilations??:shake:

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

"13" was many peoples introduction to the Doors before all of the comps. started coming (mine was "GH"). "13" is really a Doors albums as it was released before "L.A. Woman"; it's part of the bands history. This should be on disc if you want to look at it from a historical perspective.

20. kpbalog

kpbalog New Member

Anytime someone posts a "What do you wish was on CD" thread, this is always my first mention. It is really a great compilation, deserving of being put out on CD. I have the UK Butterfly LP, which sounds good IMO, but it would be nice to have it on CD as well.

21. masswriter

Okay, I just listened to all of Weird Scenes on vinyl and this set just has such warmth, and resonates so well. Morrison's screams are piercingly psychotic in a way I dont feel on remasters . . . also I hear nice synths/organ sounds I never heard before in Who Scared You (and the horns). Wow, what a sound . . now I miss vinyl.

22. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I just listened to early press Japanese WLP/Elektra guitarist label copy of this last night (actually dubbed it to a metal cassette). It sounds great, is a great line-up of songs, and I have to say totally belies the assertion in another thread that 'it's all about Jim.' This is a band. I can't imagine any of these tracks, especially the fantastic standouts (IMO) like Shaman's Blues, Riders on The Storm, The Spy, Peace Frog, Ship of Fools -- looks like I'm about to list the entire set -- sounding right without the absolutely spot on musical interplay of Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore. To me, at least, they are as integral to the sound as Morrison.

Dale

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Brand new collections sell because they are brand new. Many music buyers like something new, something they feel is for them, something they feel is of their time.

Greatest Hits album in 1980 (or when ever it was) sold very well. And yet it was the forth collection of Doors material. Then there was a double set "Best of" on CD and LP which was to ring in the CD era, and the new half generation of Doors fans. It also did well internationally. It even used the same name as the earlier quad single LP set.

Old collections are just not as exciting for many music buyers. They want new!

I listed a Mint copy of Weird Scenes on ebay a couple of years ago as I had an extra. It was very hard to get $6.00 for it. First label, mint condition, and not much action. That tells me that the few people out there that want this collection are indeed few.

So, that is acually what CD recorders were invented for no?:wave:

24. masswriter

it didnt sell because not too many people have turntables . . . . this was issued a little after Jim died, a few years before the 1980s resurgence in their popularity due to No One Here Get's Out Alive . . .

I meant in previous post that Morrison's presence made the band much like Kurt Cobain made Nirvana . . .

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

But they have no issue with The Best of the Doors? :wtf:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.