Are Speakers Corner LPs Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spotmaticfanatic, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual. Thread Starter

i generally make an effort to buy my LPs through reputed labels. But man, when I look at the prices for Speakers Corner releases, it makes me wonder if they’re worth it. I’m looking at Tijuana Moods, The Clown, and Pithencropus Erectus by Mingus, and they range from $48-55CDN each, when grey market labels are selling them for half the price. Are Speakers Corner releases really worth that much money?

2. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I only have one so far that I recently acquired. I found a flash sale that included the Ella & Louis "Porgy and Bess" double LP for something like $25 shipped. It is a sight and sound to behold. I had been enjoying a Japanese pressing of that album for a while, but this SC edition is better - it sounds so clear and life-like. And the packaging is simply gorgeous, top-notch. Now I'm keeping an eye out for their releases wherever I go. If this release is indicative of their overall approach, I'm sold. They aren't cheap though, so....

stefane and Spotmaticfanatic like this.
  3. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I have their reissue of Lou Reed’s ‘Transformer’ and it is phenomenal.

4. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

They're excellent overall and pressed at Pallas. Kevin Gray mastered a number of the Verve jazz titles.

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

They are European. It's priced as an Import in North America. I have quite a few SC records. I have no regrets buying any of them. The are always AAA.

6. Much like Mobile Fidelity, Classic Records, Pure Pleasure & Analogue Productions to name but four, Speakers Corner is also an audiophile label. They are AAA and well-pressed. I've yet to have an issue out of the dozen or so titles I have.

I'm not sure what you mean by grey market titles. Did you mean instead to say original label releases?

Spotmaticfanatic likes this.
  7. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have 200+ Speakers Corner titles and as you would expect I think they are a great reissue label. The majority of them are excellent with just a small handful being not up to their usual standard on mastering. In terms of pressing and vinyl quality I think they are the best - only 1 record to date not perfect!

Of course I am in Europe though and they are reasonably priced here (compared to what I pay for US imports anyway!)

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Recently got the Kevin Gray master of Dr. John's "Gris Gris" and it sounds fantastic! Excellent job on the cover/packaging as well.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Best audiophile label (LPs) in Europe, and regarding quality control better as AP and Mofi.

10. zither

zither Lodger

Their wonderful reissue of Herbie Hancock's 'Flood' is one of the best albums in my collection.

GabrielJazz, ryu, reidc and 3 others like this.
  11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Yeah, they are a terrific label. I love their classical offerings. They're $35 in the US, but they're imports so they're gonna be a little more.

12. stem

stem Forum Resident

I have Joni Mitchell’s “Hissing Of Summer Lawns” on Speakers Corner vinyl.
    Sounds great. The best I have ever heard it. I gave my old original LP away.

13. Spotmaticfanatic

I mean labels like Waxtime and Dol, who aren't sourcing stuff from analog or high quality digital masters, and aren't licensed to re-issue.

14. Spotmaticfanatic

Any idea who has remastered the Mingus titles?

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have numerous SC Elvis Presley releases and they are all stellar from a sound quality standpoint.

Ziggy71 likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8 here, I love 'em.

Leftoverture - Kansas
    From Elvis In Memphis
    Child Is Father To The Man - Blood, Sweat, And Tears
    I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama ! - Janis Joplin
    Johnny Cash At San Quentin
    Burgers - Hot Tuna
    The Captain And Me - The Doobie Brothers
    Can't Buy A Thrill - Steely Dan

17. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

For the most part, I've been happy with the sound but somewhat less than impressed with the artwork of the recent SC releases. It tends to be blurry as though it was taken from a 2nd or 3rd generation copy of the cover. I expect better for the premium price. Examples of this are Secret Treaties - BÖC, Private Eyes - Tommy Bolin, and Heaven and Hell - Vangelis. I reviewed the Vangelis title in this thread.

unityofsaints and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  18. I agree. The SC artwork doesn't move me and it would be nice if they offered up some improvements, but the pricing would likely have to go higher. Classic Records never won any awards for their artwork either. As long as they continue to provide the consumer with a high quality AAA vinyl product, I'll gladly overlook it.

19. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

The 2 BOC titles blow away my Columbia original pressings.
    Artwork not an issue to me.
    Sure wish I could find a Steely Dan Thrill somewhere.......

Somesurferdude and Myke like this.
  20. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

22. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

ellingtonic likes this.
  23. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Discogs says I have 22 Speakers Corner titles and they are all excellent.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Yeah, I had to bite the bullet last month and order one from Europe. It was just around $100, but it is very much better than any black label early USA version that I've heard.

Somesurferdude likes this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Has anyone here heard/gotten the SC version of the Les McCann/Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement release?