Deerhunter - New Album January 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

On 4AD, it's out January 19 and the title is Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?. Below is a link to the SPIN article that includes the new song"Death In Midsummer" and a short article about the album, including track listing and tour itinerary. If the song is any indication of the album this will be quite a listen.

Deerhunter Announce New Album, Release "Death in Midsummer"

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Interesting. You can tell that this is Cox's songwriting, but their sound has changed considerably from their earlier albums at this point. I'm a sucker for a good sci-fi dystopian concept album and I like Cate Le Bon (who produces here), so I'll make sure to check this out.

hhjack and ralphb like this.
  3. ralphb

There's not much drift in the songs anymore (certainly the last couple of albums) and the songwriting has tightened considerably. I love all their albums, but I'm glad they've moved on a bit, otherwise they would have stagnated. Besides, both Cox and Lockett Pundt have their side projects if they want to go all shoegaze psych again.
    Really looking forward to this, they're one of my big faves.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

Can't wait, I'm always psyched for new Deerhunter!

TheSeldomSeenKid and ralphb like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am Stoked for their New Album as Love the Music of Deerhunter. I still play 'Fading Frontier' often.

stavx79 and ralphb like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That new song is fantastic.

stavx79, MungoMusic, rob68 and 5 others like this.
  7. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to this. I didn't see an Atlanta date, which is odd considering this is their hometown.

8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

very good song , reminds me of The Walkmen

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

This has leaked. Listening now, halfway through, and it's fantastic. So far, this seems like Deerhunter's baroque pop album. Even more looking forward to the LP arriving in a couple of weeks now.

stavx79, ralphb, fourfeathers and 2 others like this.
  10. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Happy to confirm -- this album is ****ing fantastic. I realize it's kinda ridiculous to say on January 3rd, but this has been instantly earmarked for my "Best of 2019" list. I CANNOT STOP LISTENING!

The two singles are fantastic, but "What Happens To People?" absolutely floored me with the light, bouncy interplay between the pianos and guitars, and Bradford's existentially contemplative lyrics. His delivery on this tune is some of his most tender and delicate. What a talent.

"Futurism" is another highlight and might be the best encapsulation of the album -- tight-ass grooves, wonderful melodies and remarkably restrained, yet somehow consistently driving rhythm.

Also, every time Deerhunter put out a new album, I go on a huge deep dive and I'm quickly reminded -- they just may be the best band of the last decade?!

stavx79, rob68, ralphb and 3 others like this.
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I don't listen to leaks but this is my first anticipated album of the year. I love Death in Midsummer and I've dug what Deerhunter have been doing for years. I'll be listening on the 19th!

ralphb likes this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Great post. 'Futurism' was my instant favourite as well, and remains as such so far.

fourfeathers likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yes

stavx79 and ralphb like this.
  14. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

This is a band I've always wanted to get into but haven't. I love the new(er) song and Cate Le Bon.

15. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Apparently the album leaked already in December. I am listening to it right now and enjoying.

16. ralphb

Absolutely. Best American band out there right now in my opinion. Can't wait for Friday!

stavx79 likes this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I know deerhunter’s name but never checked them out. Saw him and Cate Lebon play together at Marfa Myths last year, they were interesting but not sure the songs were formed at that point. one song really blew me away though. Just listened to that clip, great song will definitely check out the album. I know they recorded it in Marfa and a lot of that video looks like the next town over, Valentine.

18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Agree with fourfeathers above about What Happens To People. Such a great song.

Just listened on Spotify. Whole album is good. Bravo!

19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Another excellent album, 8 albums in and not a duffer amongst them (though think I prefer the early records)
    What Happens to People might just be my fave track of the year already

20. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Been listening since it leaked last month. A notch below Fading Frontier for me.

21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Anyone picked up the vinyl yet?

Great feature in this month’s Q with the lead singer picking his most influencial albums.

22. ralphb

On one play I feel the same, but with Deerhunter that's subject to change with continued play. "Death In Midsummer", "What Happens To People", "No Ones Sleeping" are immediate standouts, fabulous tracks, and I think I hear a Bowie circa Low vibe here and there.
    Couldn't expect them to remain in Weird Era or Halcyon Days forever, and I think Josh Fauver leaving the band forced them into a bit of a change that started with Monomania . No matter, they still stand head and shoulders above most of what's being released these days and I'm looking forward to playing this album daily for the next few weeks.

stavx79 likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That’s funny because he actually says in the Q interview that Low has influenced every album they’ve made. That, and Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk.

ralphb likes this.
  24. ralphb

Okay, I've been playing this all afternoon and it's a real grower. A fine addition to their (rather amazing)catalog. Now if only someone would convince Lockett Pundt to revive Lotus Plaza.

wallpaperman likes this.
  25. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I've not played it enough yet, but don't find it has grabbed me initially as much as 'Fadimg Frontier' but will keep persevering. It may be one of those that need repeat listens to truly appreciate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.