Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Those are really excellent remasters, in my opinion. Did that thread got closed? I dodn't know it.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Down down down South (well, actually, that would be Tierra del Fuego, and not Buenos Aires).

US Blues, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

There are pop, rock, classical and jazz elements in her music, but that vague description will say nothing. A very idiosyncratic artist, a voice you can recognize from a million miles away. If you happen to love what she does, you love it forever.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Yea, a gort closed it before the sexual assault discussion got any further.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, I imagined that was gonna happen sooner or later.

Talking of Kate Bush...

[​IMG]

notesofachord and warewolf95 like this.
  6. warewolf95

What would you recommend as a good starting point (rather a "don't hear this/that first or you'll be turned off" point)?

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

By the way, I forgot to mention that the man in your avatar is credited with "keyboards, guitar, bass guitar, vocals and co-arranger" on a track from The Red Shoes.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The album that grabbed me immediately was Never For Ever.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. warewolf95

I'll give that a spin. Usually I get into artists with the more immediate things and then find my way deeper into the more "complicated" stuff.

Rne likes this.
  10. warewolf95

Great googly moogly! I'll keep my ears peeled for that!!! :)

Rne likes this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't think eclecticism is something to apologize for.

You have to ask @usblues who the New Rider is--apparently, he is of the Purple Sage, though!

Unconditionally Guaranteed (and some more general thoughts on Beefheart stuff):

It can be enjoyed, but I think it can be enjoyed if, and only if, one is a fan of Beefheart (or if one has a penchant for sort of limp 70s blues rock, which in general I do not). I dig it, but probably only because I am a fan, in other words, and even then I don't love it. It has decent moments--"Upon the My Oh My" is totally, completely, outstandingly, fully decent. The flute is cool. It does not sound like what anyone who was into Beefheart at the time could or should have been expecting.

Clear Spot is a really good album, but with elements that are much more like conventional blues-rock than anything the Cap'n had done before, or before The Spotlight Kid anyway. But in retrospect I think it's a success, and has some real towering highlights like "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles," "Sun Zoom Spark," and "Big Eyed Beans From Venus." There is nothing on UC that is even in the same universe of quality as those three tracks. If I was a fan at the time I'd have been very much disappointed when UC came out.

When Shiny Beast came out (after another weakster) Beefheartians must have been drooling all over themselves, although I nevertheless think that it is the weakest of his "comeback" albums, and just about every song that was originally recorded (with a different band) for Bat Chain Puller is better on the latter. Still, it's a very good album, and after the two that preceded it one would have been forgiven for doubting that would ever happen again. The truly amazing thing is that he then went and made a genuine masterpiece, Doc at the Radar Station, which is one of the highlights of his career, and not with an asterisk because it is a good late attempt; if he had followed up Trout Mask Replica with DATRS it would have been completely worthy.

Ice Cream for Crow is totally great, but it could have been a lot greater if the mix had emphasized the band more...there's kind of a disconnect between the (fantastic) music and the (excellent) vocals and lyrics, it's almost like a beat poet made an album with a backing band. If that could ever be remixed (I don't know if that's even possible at this point) then I would be very eager to hear the result, and I would think it could even contend with DATR with the right remix.

I wish there were a comprehensive record online somewhere that showed the development and recording history of each Beefheart song, some of the songs on the last 3 albums had appeared in different forms previously; I am right now thinking of "The Past Sure is Tense," which was recorded with different words in 1972 as "Little Scratch," but I know there are other examples.

Blah blah blah

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Right now I just listened to Jimmy Bell's Still in Town by 15-60-75 (sometimes called The Numbers Band in the vernacular). I think this is in some ways akin to Beefheart, at least insofar as it's a blues band that is far more interesting than that descriptor would imply (at a certain point in the 60s it might have even been not too far off to describe the Dead that way! I recall once hearing Little Schoolgirl on the blues hour on a PR or college station, way back when--Jerry was still alive--and thinking "Yeah, why not play this during Blues Hour? Music evolves, after all...")

I encourage any and all adventurous forumites to check this out:

As for the source material this is all I've found but there may be other iterations of this:

Jimmy Bell

A lot more can be done with blues than usually is done with it...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Jim Walker, notesofachord and adamos like this.
  12. bzfgt

It's mostly not in a style of anything I've ever listened to, but I feel like it's possible I could learn to appreciate it some day, as I really for some reason dig that song "Wuthering Heights"...

Rne likes this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Quartet

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice

Nice music for the ride home from town. If you are curious about Peter Rowan I highly recommend the documentary The Tao of Bluegrass.

14. warewolf95

I ignored your suggestion and began at the very beginning :)

The Kick Inside

Moving was an interesting opener, but oooh I really like The Saxophone Song.

rockinlazys and Rne like this.
  15. warewolf95

Kate Bush - Feel It

Wow, this track really impressed me.

Rne likes this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

This just arrived today. 19 CDs for just under $60. I like these cheap box sets. These two below I picked up due to the friendly price

[​IMG][​IMG]

and they have become essential, or at least a good chunk of each. I expect that a very high % of the Aretha box will also.

Wet nasty 3 day weekend here in the upper left corner, so lots of listening and football (muted!) on tap. Maybe a binge on box sets.

And a parting gift. If this doesn't make you move you are made of stone.

17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

18. bzfgt

Beefheart Live in Reseda (1981)

Also sometimes called Somewhere Over California I think.
    Opens with a smoking "Hair Pie"!!! Which sounds gross.

Jim Walker and footlooseman like this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More Blood More Tracks —> On The Beach

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's a great album, but I think she got even better later on. Never For Ever-The Dreaming-Hounds Of Love is a stunning trilogy. Let's not forget she was only 17 when the recording sessions started!

rockinlazys and warewolf95 like this.
  21. warewolf95

Playing through HOL now. This is a strange but wonderful album. Im also glad she toned down her pipes a bit ;)

Im always fascinated with weird sounding 80s synths and drum sounds and this album has em, lol.

Cloudbusting is fantastic! The rest has been so far as well. :)

Rne likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, Kate started to sing in a lower register and acquired a more "mature" sound.
    Hounds Of Love is complex and beautiful, a real classic.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. warewolf95

Kate Bush - Waking the Witch

What the heck is this - mommy im scared :(

24. warewolf95

Its one of the most unique albums ive heard.

Gotta say though, as a person without much patience, I didn't have any urges to skip a single track on either album.

For me, that says a lot, haha :)

rockinlazys, US Blues and Rne like this.
  25. warewolf95

After having my mind blown by Hounds Of Love, im jumping backwards to Lionheart.

Wow, im in love with the first song Symphony In Blue

Im a sucker for jazzy pop sung by a gorgeous voice :p

Also, did she just say "the more I think about sex the better it gets"?!?!

Lmao I waited way too long to listen to Kate Bush.

Also, sorry spam posting homies. Im just genuinely enjoying her music way more than I thought I would.