Listenin' to R&B and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Hey there. Often I've wanted to post about the latest Rhythm & Blues album, new or classic track that struck me as good. But there are so many subdivisions with the genre represented on the board (Neo Soul, Classic Soul, Stax Soul, Motown, etc.) that I thought it might be good to have a general place to talk about whatever R&B act, playlist, track or album you happen to be into at the moment. In the tradition of the great threads devoted to Classical and Jazz music let's hear what you're grooving to right now.

2. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Please let me open the ball with Aretha Louise Franklin's "Respect" (1967), which she allegedly "stole" from Otis Redding (1965). You need the Queen of Soul to start such a thread, ando. Done. :)

3. ando here

[​IMG]
    Jon B. B-Sides Collection (2013)

Why am I always late to the game with Jon B.? Don't know what I was doing in January of 2013 but Jon B. wasn't part of it. In fact I hadn't been into him since 2000's Pleasures U Like. But earlier this week I spotted this on Spotify, put it on shuffle and found it much better than expected. He's still sports that light, smooth, bumping kind of soul with vocals edging toward (dare I say it?) R. Kelly in the ballads. But his package is appealing when all you want is something good to bop your head to round the house or a quick drive across town. And, frankly, these B-Sides are just as good, if not better, than the tracks pushed by his label.

Penny24 and NickySee like this.
  4. ando here

I dunno, J - both those versions rock. I've just heard ReRe's take far more often but Otis makes you get up out of your chair - or at least pat your foot pretty enthusiastically! And darn it! I don't have it in my collection! :confused:

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Afterschool Special:. The 123s of Kid Soul

6. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Win-win situation. :thumbsup:

danasgoodstuff and ando here like this.
  7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

8. ando here

I swear that opening riff sounds like one from another classic track (just can't quite place it now)...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Classic stuff. Lip synching like nobody's business. I'm getting tired just watching the moves.

10. ando here

Like your formatting (links are funny). My pop loved this record; had to hear he and his friends sing some of these harmonizations on weekends (Doo Wop Heads :cool:). Nice to hear it again.

11. ando here

I dunno. Sounds like the vocals are live, anyway! Their sound is awfully like The 5th Dimension. At first I thought I saw Marilyn McCoo shakin' it up back there. :p

12. ando here

[​IMG]
    Randy Crawford Raw Silk (1979)

Raised singing in her church choir Cincinatti native, Crawford, is mostly known now for her "achem" smooth jazz vocals. But back in '79 she dropped one of the best R&B recorded performances in my book (and many others thankfully). Didn't get much play or promotion and the songs are a mixed bag compositionally but it remains one of her best lps and one of the most soulful I've ever heard. There's an import cd print that's available for nearly nothing otherwise the album is currently published as part of a double cd. Get the import if you can. Here's a track from the album - Nobody:

dwilpower, rob68, Anthemer1 and 3 others like this.
  13. ando here

[​IMG]
    Something like sacrilidge here cause if I show a classic songbook cover - especially with the immortal Sam Cooke gracing it - I should post his version, right? Not this time. Ever since I heard Tina Turner's version way back during the Private Dancer Tour days it's been one of my favorites of this soul standard (Robert Cray on guitar):

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i dig it. reminded me a bit of.....

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Champagne Soul is what they called it. I'm not crazy about champagne but I'm wild about The 5th Dimension!

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

silky smooth philly soul. the three degrees.....
    the 3 degress also in the nightclub scene in The French Connection, doing a great live version of 'going to the moon'

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

James Carr — Dark End of the Street

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's one of those songs that lifts any artist's performance. Not to beat a dead horse here but Billy Davis Jr. does a remarkable version, too. Sandwiched between The Declaration and People Got To Be Free, someone uploaded just this part of the medley:

19. ando here

YES! Thanks. A bit tighter. :p

the pope ondine likes this.
  20. ando here

Yeah, still looking for a good album by them. Guess I'll go with their debut.
    [​IMG]

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Aside from that big hit, they sure get short shrift considering the great stuff in their catalog. Dirty 'Ol Man didn't even chart and I Do Take You from their Roulette years should be a huge wedding favorite.

The Three Degrees I Do Take You

22. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

... Unbelievable: I had forgotten about that great song. Thanks, SP.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had hoped this would be a thread about classic 1940s-1950s R&B, but judging by the posts so far it seems to be all about Soul and later stuff. Oh well.

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It's still on the first page! Post something you like from that era. I dare say most here weren't around during that time so we may not have as deep a connection to it as the 60s and beyond. The R&B #1s thread had little participation until it jumped to the 60s and even then.....

25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Ruth Brown— Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean Here’s a 50’s Classic I think it’s Gatortail Jackson on tenor