Cleveland, OH - Record Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by V I Aboytes, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

It hasn't changed.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sad, it used to be so damn good in there.

3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My sister just got a heart transplant at Cleveland Clinic so I'll probably be spending time out there soon. Any RS's near Cl.Cl. on Euclid? My route to Cleveland will be 80 west out of PA to OH 11 north and cross over thru Warren to 422 and thru Cl. eastside ...is that Shaker Heights? Thanks for any info.

4. russe41

russe41 Forum Resident

Fender Relic likes this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Blue Arrow on Waterloo. Probably 10 minute drive from the Clinic. A large selection of vinyl, reasonably priced in good shape. I worked near there for a few months this year and must have bought about 50 albums.

These days they are open only Friday-Sunday, see website.

Blue Arrow Records

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. Scott Olds

Scott Olds Well-Known Member

Definitely sad. In the 80's Record Rev and The Exchange were the reason to go to Coventry. They sold off half of the Record Rev space years ago, and now it is a tiny head shop. Back it the day, it was twice the size and had a basement dedicated to used vinyl.
    I remember both shops (and Wax Trax on nearby Lee Rd., and Chris's Warped Records in Lakewood) also had impressive import sections to get the latest stuff from Factory, Rough Trade, Stiff, 4 A.D., etc.
    Really miss those days!!

longdist01, Alan G and Fender Relic like this.
  7. Fender Relic

My oldest son worked at that Exchange in the late 90's. He lived around the corner at the top of the block near the movie theatre so he rolled out of bed and had a 3 minute walk to work.

Scott Olds likes this.
  8. Scott Olds

Scott Olds Well-Known Member

Nice! :)
    I forgot to mention the theater that played Rocky Horror every weekend! (And of course- Irv's Deli, Mac's Backs, and Tommy's!).
    Back in the day (as a teenager in the 80's) you would just spend the whole weekend at Coventry!
    Of course, you can relive a bunch of that in Harvey Pekar's AMERICAN SPLENDOR.:righton:

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. Fender Relic

I wonder if that great Chinese place is still open between the theatre and The Exchange? I loved eating there.

10. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I am not a fan of Time Traveler Record Store.

Has anyone ever gone to K & M Record Store on Chestnut St. in Ravenna, OH? Tons and tons of old unpopular stuff. Seriously if you're looking for old Joan Baez albums or something like that its a great place to browse. It just seems like he's clogged his store up with stuff that will never sell in a thousand years. Tons of 8 track tapes, cassettes and VHS. I counted 37 copies of Jurassic Park on VHS. And the owner seems a bit strange. Turns the heat up real high in the winter and then leaves the front door open to cool the place back down.

11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

That's Tom! Heating the outdoors because he can! Did you stop in and check out his 45 room next door? Tons and tons of 45's. When I was there last month, a guy from
    England was there shopping for 45's. According to Tom, the guy picked up a lot of 45's and some albums. You never know what you'll find there. I agree about the VHS tapes.
    I can't imagine that those are going to sell any time soon.

milankey likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

2 "new" (well, new to me cause i don't get there that often) used shops have opened in kent, ohio, for you ohio guys (center of the world, few know of that place, i've been there).

one is on the main drag right across form the kent stage (they sell used CD's and vinyl and books and there is a coffee shop.

around the corner towards downtown is a tiny little shop that has used vinyl and CD's a small amount of books.

both have very reasonable prices and a not bad selection, now, being relatively new, we'll see how their change over goes, or if they just sit on the same stuff forever.

and if you want more in kent there is an exchange store right up the street about a half of a mile.

boboquisp likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and while i'm here:

is 'time traveler' still in downtown akron, or did he finally give up on trying to sell junk and keeping anything good he gets for himself or to sell on the internet?

14. The Elephant Man

Yes, Last Exit Books. They kept the vinyl in the book store until some time last year when they moved around the corner
    to their new location. They have reasonable prices and their stock changes pretty quickly too. If I hit there once a month I notice that I'm not seeing a lot of the same stock from the month before.

Scott's still there. It's probably his internet sales that keep him in business. I never see anything worthwhile in the bins.
    At least there is Square Records nearby in Highland Square.

John Murray likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"square records" - CD's? and if yes, worth the trip?

speaking of scott, i remember going to the original 'time traveler', the little place that had everything, all kinds of imports and stuff that just could not get anywhere else. then he moved up the street to the big store and it was even better: gold discs, imports, grey area, singles: all kinds of stuff. he had that wall of CD's behind the counter that were his own collection, never sold them and there was some amazing stuff back there.

then the downhill slide started, which i blame on the internet. he started to hoard the really good things to sell online and the store stock began to suffer. it all ended for me when i saw a style council CD that i traded in, re-sealed in shrinkwrap and being sold as new. the gold discs were long gone, as were the imports and he started putting boxes of crappy old vinyl all over the store.

i've never even been to the new store, and i have no desire to go. he had the best record store in the world and ruined it because of greed.

milankey likes this.
  16. The Space Ace

The Space Ace Forum Resident

I went in there once last year. I had no knowledge of the store's reputation before I went in. Scott has a pretty big variety of stuff, from vinyl to CD to cassette and even 8-track. But he has a lot of really common, still in-print CDs that are waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

Also, I didn't know he did online sales. He doesn't have a website and he's done nothing with his Discogs account. Is he on Ebay or something?

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am talking at least 5 years ago, if not longer, he was definitely not selling any collectible products in his store. it was common knowledge that he was doing online sales (i do not recall the name he was selling under on ebay).

i don't know if you ever went in there in his hey-day, but what a store he had. he had everything, literally, and if he didn't have it he would get it for you within days, not weeks.

and his product changeover was so huge that i would make the hour drive at least 2 times a month. the store was never without customers, and i don't mean 1 or 2, it was crowded all the time. and then, almost overnight, it was a mere shell of itself.

18. The Space Ace

The Space Ace Forum Resident

Only been there since it moved to the new location. I browsed for a while and I was the only person besides Scott who was in the store the entire time.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Last Exit is moving their vinyl back to the main store.

20. The Elephant Man

Thanks for the info.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Tom passed away last week if you knew him. I wonder what will happen with the store.

22. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Sad to hear that Tom passed away.
    Stopping in was on my to do list this month. Yeah, he was a little 'different' but would open up a bit if you took the time to talk to him.
    There are (were) treasures to be found but you really had to spend the time to dig through everything. My last stop yielded the SH mastered 'Awesome 80's but I dug through a lot to find it. :laugh:

He did have a massive amount of VHS & I tried counting all the Titanic sets but gave up. :laugh:

milankey likes this.
  23. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

They have lots of stores in Pittsburgh too and one in Erie.

boboquisp likes this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you ever decide to take 90 home rather than 80, you will ride through/by mentor, ohio. in mentor you will find a true old school record store in 'the record den'. tons and tons of new and used CD's and vinyl, literally, tons. from the '50's through today.

stacked up on floor, on the walls, in bins, on tables, behind the counter, everywhere.

well worth the time if 90 is not out of your way.

Fender Relic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.