Deerhunter - New Album January 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

Definitely not as immediate as Fading Frontier, but give it time. The albums before Halcyon Days took a bit of getting used to, so this is nothing new with them.

Gaslight and wallpaperman like this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I've played it through three times now. Overall, my impressions are mostly that this is another strong work from the band and there were moments on the album that I could only think to use the word "delightful" to describe, which is rare and wonderful. The highlights for me would be Death in Midsummer, What Happens to People, Element and Futurism (though Futurism ends so abruptly--I wish it didn't). I will say that I don't care for the closing track Nocturne and Detournement is interesting, but not necessarily something I dig. However, every other track not mentioned is very enjoyable and overall the album has a great flow and feel to it and has been a very pleasant world to enter over the last few days.

3. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Indeed! Spooky Action is so great.

ralphb likes this.
  4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Mine won't be delivered from Amazon until Thursday.

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I won't hear this for another week or two, although my copy is in transit... it has shipped.

6. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

ellingtonic and ralphb like this.
  7. ralphb

This album has been getting better with each play. Each album has created its own sonic universe and no matter how amorphous their music gets, there is always a melody or vocal line somewhere that juts out and grabs you. Eight albums in (still haven't heard the first one, Turn It Up Fa***t), plus solo diversions, and they have yet to let me down.
    They seem to be in an enviable position with a loyal fanbase that buys their albums and goes to their shows. They record what they want and look to be making a (probably modest) living as working musicians.

fourfeathers likes this.
  8. ralphb

Excellent interview, I would say a must read for fans. What he has to say about straight culture altering the perceived reality of queer culture so it's palatable to them, then call themselves accommodating, is so spot on and well put. I love that he talked up Josh Fauver, as I've always thought he was a hugely important part of the band.

9. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

Great album...couldn't wait for Amazon so purchased the vinyl and CD versions directly from 4AD and had them overnight it. I agree with the standouts being listed thus far:

What Happens to People?
    Futurism
    Element
    No One's Sleeping

Also, like Tarnung...

Already got my tickets to see them in Philly come March. Anxious to cross them off my bucketlist of live acts to see...

10. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Cleaned and played the new one today. Must say, the pressing is a bit noisy. Will give it a few more spins...I was hoping for a bit "more"...

11. ralphb

Read the interview linked in post #31, Cox revels in defying expectations and doing exactly as he wants.
    It will grow on you, I felt it was about half excellent on one play, now I love all of it.

12. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Yeah, it will def get a few more spins....just first impressions

ralphb likes this.
  13. agn

agn Forum Resident

I am new to this band. Where should I start?

14. ralphb

Do you like more experimental leaning rock music, or more song oriented? If the former, start with Cryptograms or Microcastle/Weird Era, experimental but with tunes and great beauty to be found . If the latter, start with Fading Frontier or Monomania, more on the accessible side. Halcyon Digest falls somewhere in between, as does the new one.
    All up on spotify if you would like to sample.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    notesofachord likes this.
  15. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

Sadly, for those of us not in the EU, we don't get EU pressings. Mine is off-center on side two. What a damn shame, because more 4AD releases have ben EU pressings, so I was looking forward to it, but for that reason I am disappointed.

16. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

"Microcastle" is a good starting point. First two LPs are maybe too experimental.

agn likes this.
  17. ralphb

When I bought it, Microcastle was packaged with Weird Era as a double cd, were they split up?

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'Halcyon Digest' made most Music Best Albums of 2010 Lists and in the Top 10 for several lists-IIRC. I got into the band around 2011, so bought this Album first. I love the Psychedelic Style, but might not be for everyone, and as mentioned by others, 'Fading Frontier' is more accessible and has some Great 'Pop' Songs like the one below that reminded me of Pop Era Talking Heads, but far different Music from early Deerhunter Albums(but I love all of it).

Davmoco, agn and ralphb like this.
  19. ralphb

Here's a great clip of them doing "Nothing Ever Happened" from Microcastle live, with Josh Fauver on bass.

Aftermath, fourfeathers and agn like this.
  20. agn

agn Forum Resident

Thanks I like both and have been sampling their music since I posted. Anyone who likes Dada and the music of Ligeti means I will probably like them.

ralphb likes this.
  21. agn

agn Forum Resident

Experimental really doesn't bother me. In fact I will probably like that more than the accessible. I like music that grows with repeated listening.

22. agn

agn Forum Resident

Josh Fauver recently passed away. R.I.P.

23. ralphb

It's sad. I think he brought a lot to the band (Cox talks about that in the interview upthread) and they changed after he left. He anchored them and also pushed them experimentally, and his bass lines were really perfect for them.

Aftermath and agn like this.
  24. agn

agn Forum Resident

I just ordered most of their catalog. Thanks to everyone here for all the info.

slainte, mindgames and ralphb like this.
  25. ralphb

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.