Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

For the MK2, Technics stated "low 12-gram effective tonearm mass (including headshell, without cartridge)". Wonder if that "including headshell" applies for the G/GR.

4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

One would hope -- at least for a baseline. Just about any aftermarket HS will raise the EM.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey guys, update today regarding my “droopy” dust cover on my SL-1200GAE. I reached out to my dealer - the fantastic Robert Zhon at Value Electronics. Without hesistation, he got to work on the issue, and made arrangements for a warranty replacement to be sent to me, direct from Japan. It arrived today, and I’m excited to report the new dust cover doesn’t have the issue as identified in the video below:

Bulletin:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    wgb113 and oregonalex like this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Robert is wonderful! My GR is from him at Value Electronics and I don’t have enough positive things to say about how great the communication, customer service and care he puts into his customers.

SamS likes this.
  7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Do they now? I hear no difference at all whether lid is on/off or up/down on either of my 4 turntables.

AArchie and oregonalex like this.
  8. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I've tried to hear a difference but alas, I too can't.

Wngnt90 and recstar24 like this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Personally I believe this is a combo of personal hearing and system resolution. I also have tired both, and cannot hear a difference. The logic is there for why you would hear a difference, but I personally cannot hear it in my system.
    But I still leave the lid fully open when playing. Mostly because it's one less step between flips and changing records.

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

This I do not do. A spinning LP is a dust magnet -- in my house anyway.

It's possible that dust cover induced noise might be just a case of poor TT isolation and/or design. I've also never had feedback distortion from my TT caused by loud music. If the DC causes issues, one would expect that the sound waves in the air would too (or even more so, vibrations from the stand under the TT).

Wngnt90, displayname and Drewan77 like this.
  11. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

So after just setting the VTA at "1" as prescribed in the owners manual for an 18 mm cartridge height, Nagaokoa MP-200, i began experimenting. Sounds much more natural to me at a 0.5 VTA setting. Cymbals and hi-hat sound a bit more relaxed and where they should be in the mix. The Nag is 18 mm height from top to stylus point per digital caliper but the cantilever is very compliant compared to my other cartridges so that may be the reason. Still amazed what a small change in VTA can make.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Earlier in this thread (I think!) someone posted the part number and Panasonic parts link for the GAE head shell. I can't seem to find it, can anyone help?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Found it! RFA3670 Panasonic Head Shell

Too bad not in stock :(

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks. I see they have it here: KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com But they seem to indicate that the GAE/G and GR use the same head shell, which we know is not the case.

oregonalex likes this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I thought they were different. The GR has a shorter (?) finger lift. Panasonic uses different part numbers for each, here is the one for the GR:
    TPBGA003 Panasonic Head Shell

oregonalex and punkmusick like this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I think for all intensive purposes, they are the same thing ;)

arcamsono and punkmusick like this.
  19. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

Hopefully with the introduction of the MK7 the head shell cost will come down

20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Man those headshells are crazy expensive and they look pretty much like the old ones. 96.00 - crazy - I bought my Sumiko for around 90.

I just picked up one of KAB's recreated ones - something like 14.00 - I'll post how it goes.

Edit: only 12.95 - I'm sure it will work just as good as the 95.00. I have about 4 stock Technics and a Sumiko headshell from what I recall.

ranch 22b likes this.
  21. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I'm not saying they are worth the extra money but the G/GAE headshells do have the variable azimuth screw. A nice feature to have.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah - I figured that could be it. The Sumiko also has great options for changing azimuth.

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They do look different in the photos. Does KAB have the GAE/G version?

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

KAB says "This is the original headshell supplied with the SL1200GAE, G, GR turntables." So, it might take a call to KAB to sort it out.

snorker likes this.
  25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I saw...I sent him an email asking which part number he has.

SamS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.