Monk on Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

I believe Monk was dropped from Netflix a couple of years ago. It is now on Prime which is pretty cool. I thought I had seen every episode but there are quite a few that I have missed.

Anyway, my wife and I were talking about Adrian Monk and my 16 year old daughter overheard us talking about him and thought it was someone we knew. We told her it was a show and that she would probably like it. So I recorded an episode from Hallmark and she loved it!

Saw it on Prime and told her the best way to watch it was start at the beginning. So far we are up to season 3 and watched episode 1 last night (Monk goes to NY).

Even our 8 year old loves it! Looks like My Three Sons is close to winding down on MeTV as they have moved to California and we DVR that and watch in the afternoon. So now our daily ritual consists of watching that and an episode of Monk.

My 16 year old keeps asking if he ever solved Trudy's murder and we just tell her "you have to wait and see!".

I wish they would get the gang back together and do a reunion special.

2. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Monk was a show I watched on a "catch as catch can" basis when it was originally on, so I probably missed a lot of the story threads and other subtleties, but I still enjoyed it. I don't currently have Prime but one of these days I'll have to watch it from the beginning. Good show.

LilacTeardrop and MikeInFla like this.
  3. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Great show, and ended nicely as well.
    At first, I missed Sharona, but now I much more prefer Trudy. I always seem to see more cameos and guest appearances than I ever realized while watching it during it's first run.

a customer and LilacTeardrop like this.
  4. MikeInFla

Yeah, I like Sharona a lot and I knew that she left and was replaced by Natalie. I don't quite remember why Sharona left and that episode will be coming up (she leaves mid season 3). In real life I know they couldn't come to contractual terms and she ended up leaving the show. I just didn't realize how many episodes I missed! I thought for sure I had seen them all and so far there's a ton I haven't seen. And yes, there are a ton of cameos and guests I forgot about.

Steve Litos likes this.
  5. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Not sure why I called Natalie by the wrong name. I loved Jan(Trudy) in The Office.

6. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Monk during its original run, and thought they closed it out just at the right time.
    A little while back they started doing weekend marathons on WeTV (I think?) so I've been grabbing those on the DVR as they're great to watch while I do my workout every day.

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Hopefully you saw Tony Shalhoub on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, also on Prime. He's marvelous on it.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My wife and I favorite show. We have the box set and watch them often, and all three of our kids liked them too. Wonderful show!

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. MDW

MDW Howard The Duck's Biggest Fan

I love Monk! Though my favorite from that USA lineup was Psych...

10. MikeInFla

Not yet -- but have been wanting to see it and plan on watching it in the future.

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Monk was one of my favorite shows; it's on one channel or another always running several episodes one right after the other. Tony Shaloub was brilliant in that show. Love it.

12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I haven't gotten much done the last three Sundays because I end up watching Monk reruns.
    [​IMG]

MikeInFla, Pete Puma and DesertChaos like this.
  13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Gotta get me one of those shirts!

MikeInFla likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

Just finished season 8 on Prime. What a great show! They wrapped it up just at the right time before all the ideas dried up. I had seen most of them before but didn't remember them or had forgotten about plots. My 2ife and kids enjoyed it as well, especially my 9 year old. She was sad for it to end. My kids would always ask "does he solve Trudy's murder?". I would always tell them they would have to wait and see and they are both glad I never gave away the ending.

I recently saw Jason Gray-Standford on Travellers and when I see him it's not not to think of Disher. He seems to do a lot of one-off's (last season of X-Files and he was a cop "walker" on Walking Dead but I can't remember if it was the actual show or one of the webisodes they did during the first couple of seasons).

Steve Litos likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I love how the tied everything up nice and neat at the end. It was hard for me to believe that Randy would have gotten that promotion though, given how “dumb” a lot of things he said and did was, but of course that was a nice and often hilarious part of the show so I wouldn’t have changed him at all, but clearly there would have been more qualified people. I also never thought Sharona and him were even close to friendly enough for them to end up the way they did in the end (trying not to give anything away). But aside from that, it is my families favorite show as well and I’m glad we have the box set as it seems to jump around and/or come and go a lot on streaming.

16. MikeInFla

They planned a movie in 2012 but for some reason it was shelved. Monk is long overdue for a TV movie.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  17. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Are you aware that the makers of Monk did another 10 part show on Netflix called The Good Cop (2018)? It was cancelled. I liked it. Solid and very, very Monk-like. Without knowing it was made by the Monk people I instantly said to myself, 'This was probably made by the people who did Monk.'

The Good Cop (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

19. MikeInFla

I didn;t know about this I will have to check it out.

20. Somewhat Damaged

Did you watch The Good Cop?

21. MikeInFla

No, not yet haven't had a lot of time. I'll add it to "my list" on Netflix.

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Wasn't "The Good Cop" the Tony Danza/Josh Groban (?!) show? They were filming it all around Bay Ridge, Brooklyn when I lived there. Didn't realize it ever got released or canceled. Not promoted well.

23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Agree, Tony Shalhoub is terrific on ...Mrs. Maisel! :agree::D

Just found this show, The Good Cop, from online meanderings yesterday...looks VG+++! Of course, Netflix cancelled it.:rolleyes::sigh: They tend to do this w/their programming,
    after just 1 or 2 seasons, barring a few, (especially Stranger Things). Did they do any promotion? :confused:

Your favorite Netflix shows are more likely to be canceled after 2 or 3 seasons than those on traditional TV
    Data Reveals Why Netflix Cancels Shows After Two Seasons

24. Somewhat Damaged

Actually I watched a doc a few weeks ago. The subject was driving through Hollywood and I noticed a massive Good Cop billboard. So yes, in Hollywood there was at least one billboard.

25. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

If monk would have opened trudy's xmas present the first episode it would have saved him a lot of grief.

Jrr and MikeInFla like this.