Golden Earring - new boxset "The Complete Studio Recordings"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJConroy, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Off topic I know but has anyone read the Barry Hay book? Any comments?

2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Just had yet another listen to Together. Did Rinus really play the Hammond solo on Brother Wind?
    Sheesh, its great!

3. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi everyone.
    Am thinking of going over to Holland again this year to see Golden Earring.
    Does anyone know if when they play the Ahoy they use the big hall or do they usually play a smaller part of the venue?
    Cheers Slim

4. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

They play the Ahoy Arena [​IMG]

5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi jawaka
    I went to the Arena in 1984 for Dylan & Santana. I figured that the venue held about 8000. Does that sound right?

6. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thank you! That's a big venue.
    I will make enquiries about tickets.
    Cheers
    Slim :righton:

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's awesome that you will go over to see them (wait - wasn't it you that did just that not too long ago? I 4get).

If it was me though I'd try to see if they were playing any smaller places, like a theater type venue. The acoustics are probably way better than that huge place plus better chance of getting closer (maybe? or not). I know they are big over there though, maybe they only play arenas?

9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yeah I'd like to do both
    I like the Ziggo Dome DVD & fancy the atmosphere of a really big gig. You're right I saw them play a festival in Holland in the summer & they were great. Its a compromise between travelling for a weekend, definitely being able to get tickets & easy accessible venue. Hopefully the Ahoy is easy access from Rotterdam.

slipkid likes this.
  10. Together took me a while to warm up to but it has some really great moments. All Day Watcher sounds great on vinyl and side 1 is pretty strong. Rinus delivers some great organ playing on Brother Wind for sure.

I finally found a Dutch copy of the lp that includes the complete gatefold artwork.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Never seen it. Can you post a picture?

12. I’m away from my vinyl at the moment but will try to post when I can. I’ll bet a google image search would have a few examples

Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi all
    Found a YouTube clip of The Old Grey Whistle Test from 74 or 75 featuring Golden Earring. Many of you will have seen it but I didn't know it existed.
    Bob Harris introduces the band & basically gives them the thumbs down before they play Candy's Going Bad. Says something like 'this band are not for me, I prefer Lynyrd Skynyrd who'll be supporting them on the tour'. Later on they do Love Is A Rodeo to his total indifference.
    How rude is that? The band must have been totally p*£#ed off about that! :tsk:

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sheesh, that is really weird. I don't think I have seen that clip. I love Skynyrd but I love GE as well. I couldn't really compare them though, they are such totally different bands.

15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

In my sixth form days, which were roughly around the time of the Skynyrd air crash, some of colleagues reckoned that Skynyrd blew them offstage every night when they supported the Earring.
    While I admit, following Free Bird each night must be tough, now that I am more familiar with their stuff I think that GE are a pretty committed live unit in their own right & could have held their own.
    Did anyone on here see that tour?

16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi all
    Having spent pretty much 18 months listening to Golden Earring on a daily basis I have to say my absolute favourite go to Earring albums are:
    Wall of Dolls
    Moontan ( both versions but especially US)
    Contraband
    No Promises No Debts
    Live ( first one)
    All of the acoustic albums.
    I love many tracks from the other albums but these are the ones I'd grab in a fire.
    Just sayin'.
    Cheers Slim

slipkid and Freek999 like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good stuff there.

I was drawing a blank on "Wall of Dolls" until I looked it up - the album is actually just titled Golden Earring but is given the title "Wall of Dolls" by some people because of the cover artwork.

I have it but can't remember much about it so I am adding that - and also No Promises No Debts which I can't recall what the songs are like either - to my "to listen to" pile

Slim Zooms likes this.
  18. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I really like Wall Of Dolls its a hard rocking & psychedelic album all at the same time. I really like most of the tracks especially WOD, Big Tree Blue Sea & Pigeons. Brilliant.
    No Promises has some filler but Heartbeat, Weekend Love & Save Your Skin hit the spot for me.

19. Love both albums. I’m pretty sure that No promises, No debts is actually their demos that they decided to release as the album. It’s a bit rough, but it’s also a satisfying listen. Heartbeat is one of my favorite GE songs.

Wall of Dolls gets played all the time in my house. I always thought the Wall of Dolls song sounded a bit like Alice Cooper.

eelkiller likes this.
  20. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes, I guess WOD does have a bit of Alice about it. It's an album that definitely rewards repeated listening. And yes NPND does sound less polished than other albums - especially Selling Out with what sounds like a low-tech drum machine backing George's singing.
    Heartbeat one of my favourites too :edthumbs:

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've spun No Promises again recently and sad to say it does nothing for me. The only song I even remember is Weekend Love simply because it is on one of the acoustic live things. Overall the1980's production style of the album kinda leaves me cold, very big echoy drum sounds (?).

22. Yeah, the production is limp. I think the writing is as good or better than many of their albums. Weekend Love, Heartbeat, Save Your Skin, Don’t Stop the Show... this are four pretty strong Cheap Trick type songs. It’s too bad they didn’t cut them properly with real drums, etc. That said, the live versions of these tracks feel more realized, so we have that at least.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The box set is too much for me... a few great records, but also a lot of fillers.

My favorite GE albums: Eight Miles High, Moontan, Contraband, Grab it for a Seconds, No Promises..., Prisoner of the Night

24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I agree about the production it does sound cold & Haggis hit the nail on the head when he said the tracks sound like demos, the drums do sound horrible.

However, I like a number of the songs & like Haggis I like the live versions of the key tracks. They should also have included I Do Rock & Roll on this album instead of some of the other tracks.

I certainly prefer it to Grab It For A Second.

slipkid and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

When I bought the box set I was new to the band, so I've really enjoyed the journey through the albums. Out of the 26 discs, there's probably 6 I am unlikely to play again. I have 6-8 favourite CDs and there's enough good stuff, on most of the rest, to make it an enjoyable collection for me at least.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.