Counterpart starring J.K. Simmons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

There have been times this season where I've asked myself "Wait, which Berlin are we in right now?" at the beginning of a few scenes.

RK2249, misterbozz and Bachtoven like this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

We usually watch it as it airs, but we are going to watch last night’s episode earlier in the evening tonight to see if that helps! Like others have said, I like rich, complex plots, but they need to cohere at some point. I trust the writers have an endgame and aren’t making it convoluted and hard to follow just for the sake of it.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started this thread and was enthusiastic about the 1st season. For some unknown reason, I've recorded all the episodes but haven't watched a single one this season. Oddly enough, the LACK of chatter/buzz kinda gave me the idea that all's not well in Counterpart Land. After reading these comments, I'll give it a shot but I gotta feeling I'll be bailing!:)

4. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

The latest episode finally explains the origins of the parallel worlds.

I thought the actor playing the younger Cromwell did a fine job.
    I was mostly okay with the episode overall, maybe except for:

-the malfunctioning/melting computer was a bit cheesy by this show's standards
    -Cromwell's character and associates must've had some *really* good connections to fund their little project

I've been fine with the complexity of season two, I mean you do really have to concentrate to follow what's going on, but I'd rather that than being spoon fed everything and having predictable plot lines.

Hopefully though, the writers do have a grand plan in mind to resolve everything in a reasonable way.

Lownote30 and misterbozz like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had decided to binge watch the season precisely because of the convoluted nature of the narrative, but with each passing week, I'm nore and more ambivalent, to tbe point that I don't care anymore.

I hear that tbe ratings are dire and that it will likely be cancelled. If this show had any chance of being successful, it needed to be releaed all at once...

RK2249 likes this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

If it is cancelled, I hope ambiguities are cleared up and it has a satisfying ending and doesn’t leave wondering what happened!

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Weird, I guess I like complicated story lines, this show keeps getting better and better. This last episode would help some, it explains the beginning of the "gateway" and the divergence.

jeroemba and Stillhouse like this.
  8. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Complexity is fine but this is unnecessarily convoluted. Too many characters introduced in a short period of time (with many only having tangential relationships to the show's two main characters) and then many of them left dangling with no resolution to their character's story arc. And most of these peripheral characters are as boring as they are underdeveloped. Poor writing done in the name of producing a "deep" or "complex" show...and not successfully, IMO, either.

And I don't need to be "spoon-fed" a show to understand it either. Complexity is wonderful...if done well. If done poorly, it becomes a collosal bore.

Deesky likes this.
  9. Are you talking about episode 5 from season 2 or a new episode has aired?

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Episode 6 of Season 2, "Twin Cities" which aired Sunday.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow, the most recent episode actually made sense!

audiomixer likes this.
  12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Really??? Like the only thing in the entire lab to have a "meltdown" was the PC used to control the super-duper x-ray machine? That whole scene felt like the ending to the movie "Weird Science" :rolleyes:

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Episode 6.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  14. audiomixer

Stop watching it then.

Lonson likes this.
  15. audiomixer

Stop watching it then.

Lonson likes this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I meant the plot was linear and far less convoluted than usual. Yes, that brief scene was a bit silly.

jpelg and audiomixer like this.
  17. I think that scene had no importance at all, it was the end result what matters, if to highlight that end result you have to show a computer melting down, the it's fine by me because what came later was far far more impressive than a simple computer with a plastic outer shell melting down. Does the other me thinks the same after 31 years o_O?
    Two "mes" that are the same at same time even on paralell worlds would be too much :shake:.
    Now talking about the episode, this is the best I've seen in years, it got me most of the hour saying "no jodas", Spanish (from Spain, Europe) less polite version of your "no S#¡t".

18. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Any other constructive comments you'd like to add? I mean, I'm talking about a show that I really liked but have found to have gotten more and more convoluted. This frustration has led to my posting my observations here to see if anyone else agrees. And after all that back-and-forth, all you have to add is "Stop watching it then". Wow, thanks! :righton:

Scott222C, Deesky and ibanez_ax like this.
  19. audiomixer

Wow, you’re welcome! :righton:

20. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Just watched the latest episode...it was really good and quite interesting. I still stand by my previous comments, however.

21. audiomixer

Yep. Just added you to my ignore list. :righton:

22. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

This is the only show I currently keep up on. Season 1 seemed a bit slow and narrow to me, but it laid the groundwork for S2 quite well. While I had hoped there wouldn't be a reveal as to how the world(s) split I was pleasantly surprised by how it was done. Some of the revelations into when and why the worlds diverged were obvious (cassette tape, virus) while others more subtle and earlier than expected(flashlights).

23. Sorry for my ignorance but what happened with the flashligts? As long as I saw everything was symetrical the first time.

24. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

The first time they're dropped, yes. Last time one points pretty much straight with the crossing while the other is at an angle. I need to rewatch and try to follow which side is which in relation to that.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I don't understand the negativity here. Counterpart is a great show for adults. A kind of mix between Fringe and John Le Carre's books. Awesome premise. Is it difficult to understand what's going on sometime? Yes, but if you pay attention, it all makes sense. We are like Howard, we were driven into this story without any information about the context and we try to figure it out, piece by piece. The last episode felt like it could have been shown later during a season 3 or 4. Somehow it felt like the series could be wrapped sooner than expected.
    The casting is stellar. JK Simmons, Olivia Williams, James Cromwell and the others...:pineapple:

Stillhouse and rogertheshrubber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.