New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for your compliment.

It may be time for you to refresh from work.

After settling at new places, I would like to visit your audio room.

Thomas

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. thomaskong

I received a replacement Acme 805 tube from the dealer on free shipping on 21st, January.

It sounds fine after playing for 3 hours.

I will go into detail of the sound of tube after one more day of listening.

I can recommend this dealer to the forum member after free replacement of defective tube.

PSVANE Acme Serie 805 Vacuum Tube High-end tube Be

Thomas

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Regarding the tube cage not closing, regular banana plugs will do the trick. I posted pics once before but they've vanished probably due to hosting issues.

As an update, I've added a Lampizator Golden Gate 2 with volume control to my setup and after comparing bypassing vs. using the amps volume control, there's significant improvement that was quickly evident. So, in spite of the fact that the 6sn7 and 6sl7s are still influencing the signal, improvement was gained by bypassing the volume pot.

Additionally, I've been enjoying a new 300b by way of experimenting with the Golden Gate. It's the KR 300b RK. I feel it betters the EML 300b XLS, and is worth checking out. I love it in both the DAC and the amp.
    [​IMG]

Strat-Mangler and freesole like this.
  4. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Good to hear! In my experience, I didn't hear a strong enough difference when connecting the Don Sach's Model 2 to my 805ia. A bit disappointing but, ended up saving money so I don't mind that ;)

5. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I'm doing the switch in a couple of weeks. Naim Supernait out. LM 508ia in :righton:

6. thomaskong

I had listened to replaced Acme 805 with Line Magnetic 508 for 24 hours.

It is one of the best new tube with transparency,excellent soundstage and nice details.

I have Synergistic Blue fuse, Shuguang Treasure 300B and CV181z(6SN7 equi) and Mullard ECC35 in Line Magnetic 508.

Although the price is a little bit on the high side, if Psavne give one year of warranty then one may consider using it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    bugo403 and adamaley like this.
  7. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

That's disappointing. I've heard good things about the DS Model 2 preamp.

8. thomaskong

Someone gave notice that Psavne offer 2 year warranty on Acme tube.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. thomaskong

I also bypass volume pot using volume control of Lyngdorf 2170.

The focus is slightly sharper with bypass.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Same. I was hoping to hear a very audible difference but I can't say that I have. Glad the Lampizator is working out for you though! Would love to hear your system.

adamaley and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. thomaskong

I had been to back and forth between Lm508 and Silbatone 300B to feed Lansche 4.1 speakers(specified eff 99db/w but real 95db/w).

I felt that 8W Silbatone 300B fitted with WE original 300B made in 1930's give more transparent and much tighter and deeper bass than 48W 508.

Silbatione(20k$) is a premier integrated amp with silver foil output transformer and exotic parts.

After I change from Shuguang Treasure CV181z back to Sylvania 1944 6Sn7 and change feedback to 1 (no feedback), LM 508 approach to 90% of Silbatione's performance in transparency and bass performance.

Now it is a close game between LM508 and Silbatone 300B.

I really believe that Psavne Acme 805 tube is excellent and now I consider ordering Psavne Acme 300B to compare with WE original 300B made in 1930's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. thomaskong

One more question to 508 users?

Do you really need feedback?

With stock tubes in the bright sounding system, you may need feedback to ameliorate the bright sound.

But with excellent NOS and new production tube like Acme 805 in the neutral system, no feedback will help transparency and dynamics.

[​IMG]

I am listening to above album now.

Violin sound gorgeous with dynamic orchestra background.

I had considered selling LM 508 because it fell short of Silbatone 300B in bass and dynamics despite its higher power of 48W.

But with no feedback(no 1), it's bass is almost tight as Silbatone with more headroom.

I used to use no2. position.

SandAndGlass and bugo403 like this.
  13. bugo403

bugo403 Well-Known Member

i use NFB no. 3
    regardless of the acme qualities, i find that in my system using the no.3, the bass is tighter, there is better seperation and overall the sound is more engaging and in control.

14. thomaskong

Interesting, in my system with no 3. position, it sound euphonic but with less tight bass.

15. thomaskong

I need to work on this more.

When I get reference on NFB, with more NFB the sound get tighter.

Maybe I feel the amplifier sound tighter because of the change of 6sn7 tube.

16. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I have always left the NFB in the 1 position. To my ears there is more clarity in that position and more transparency but I haven't played around with this too much.

JMAC and thomaskong like this.
  17. thomaskong

I also get the impression that it sound more transparent with no. 1 position.

Although Shuguang Treasure CV181z is pretty good tube, it is no match to Sylvania 1944 6Sn7 in dynamics, details and soundstage.

freesole likes this.
  18. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I haven't tried the Shuguang on the LM before but the Ken Rad 6SN7's and the Tung Sols were a big improvement over stock on mine as well.

19. thomaskong

I recommend you to get pair of Sylvania 1944 6Sn7 at E-bay from the dealer who offer unconditional return.

The price will be around 100$ per pair.

I paid 130$ for Shuguang Treasure CV181z which is much better than stock tube but fall short of Sylvania 1944 6Sn7 .

20. bugo403

bugo403 Well-Known Member

i think it is more speaker dependent or maybe even speaker and source. i played with it for some time and the no.3 sounded best for me.
    my suggestion is, every time you go up in the NFB you should also go up a little bit in the volume, that will help with the comparison.

21. thomaskong

It is dependent on system and personal taste.

I had been back and forth between no 1 and no 2 yesterday.

Now I am back to no 2. for overall balance.

That is fun of audio.

22. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

My understanding is that NFB 4 actually equates to 0 negative feedback so going down the numbers actually adds more negative feedback and that NFB 0 is, therefore, the highest amount of feedback.

I use 0 negative feedback (NFB4) and preferred to tune the rest of my system around that because I preferred the more harmonic content that setting provided vs. other aspects such as bass control, solidity of images, etc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Nope

24. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Sorry, I stand corrected. Some members on this thread after speaking to parties connected with LM were informed that NFB4 provided the highest NFB. I, personally, find that hard to accept since it flies in the face of everything I know on the subject and the type of sound it subjectively produces. My statement above should be rephrased to say I believe that NFB 4 actually equates to 0 negative feedback..... I chalked the numbering system to some idiosyncrasy on the part of LM. Regardless, I prefer the harmonically rich sound of NFB 4, and have tuned the rest of my system around that.

25. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with liking the sound of negative feedback—that’s why amp designers use it—and there was a discussion earlier in the thread where someone thought that the NFB4 setting was actually removing negative feedback from the circuit.

But it’s as you would expect by reading the dial, where the lower numbers represent lower levels of NFB.