“Sopranos” prequel movie “The Many Saints of Newark”*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really looking forward to this?

2. Michael

3. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

So Michael Gandolfini is 19, yet the movie is set in 1967 when Tony was 8....? Maybe the Tony character only appears in flash-forwards? Who the hell knows.

There'd better be effin Ziti.

Michael likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm not understanding the excitement over Jr. He bears a passing resemblance but the hype train's runnin' full steam ahead, saying he's the 'spitting image'. And so what if he is? How on earth does this translate into him getting this gig with ZERO experience at this level. Answer: he's got the name so the Buzz will be there, even if its only to watch him crash and burn, poor kid. John Lennon, among SO many others, had sons with the look, the voice , and the NAME, but they didn't amount to anything. Gotta feeling Jr's in for a bumpy ride!;)

Jimmy B. and Michael like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Good point. Maybe they decided to re-set the movie in the mid-to-late '70s? By all accounts, Tony was fearless around this time and unlike the period covered in the show, he had basically nothing to lose. The movie could be quite explosive.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this.

Michael likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Maybe they'll bring the kid in for the 'robbing Feech's game's' segment!

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, and I wouldn't mind an actress to play a younger, more amenable Charmaine Bucco. She dated Tony before he married Carm and Charmaine married Artie.

Brian_Mogul and Humbuster like this.
  10. Michael

when will this be officially released?

11. Michael

whatever happens I'm sure he's thrilled to play his dead...how cool is that! I'm thrilled as well to see it.

12. Michael

Angel Hair!

Maccaroni likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Tony: Revenge is like serving cold cuts.
    Melfi: I think it's, "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

Maccaroni likes this.
  14. Michael

Melfi's got it...

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

18. It would be nice it this movie morphs into a series.

19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Interesting.
    Uncle Dickie, noted as Dickie Moltasanti.
    Guessing Christopher's father?
    Would explain why Tony put up with so much from him, and partnered him up with a more experienced guy like Paulie.

20. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Was already about this, now even more so after the trailer.

Going back to the beginning really was the only way The Sopranos could go forward, especially given how dramatically Tony Soprano's life was shaped by his frequently referenced past relationships, experiences and choices. I also trust David Chase to bring more to the project than "Tony, meet Silvio..." and "Hey kid, wanna make some easy money?"

Based on the trailer alone, casting Michael Gandolfini as the young Tony seems inspired. Certainly he looks like his father, but there were a few nuances in his performance that were just haunting...

A Sopranos Story? Are there more to follow?

Richard--W likes this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was developed throughout the show that Dickie Moltasanti was Tony's hero growing up. Christopher even through a zinger in Tony's face at one point in season 6, telling him, "Let's face it, my father--you're hero--the great Dickie Moltasanti was little more than a junkie." Not sure if that's the exact quote. I may be paraphrasing.

In terms of the trailer, I'm disappointed to see Ray Liotta's involvement. The Sopranos used much of the cast of Goodfellas, but recasting Liotta takes it too far I think. He never nailed the authentic accent that's so important in these roles. Always sounded to me like a rather whiney Hollywood type trying to portray a mafia guy, but in fact Liotta was born in Newark. He should be able to tap in to the accent. Overall, it looks promising. Livia Soprano in her prime as a black cloud raining on Tony's parade. Guess we'll find out soon enough whether it lives up to the hype.

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Hot damn. This looks pretty good to me. They're gonna do it right.

bostonscoots likes this.
  23. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

The acting was okay but the writing and story development were horrible at times.

24. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

That's exactly what I'm thinking after watching the trailer. Things are already off. They're obviously portraying Tony to be about 17 in early 1967, born in 1950, roughly. Would have made him one year shy of 50 when the show premiered, based on real time. And that obviously wasn't the case. Am I missing something here?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Excellent point. One of the nice things about the show was its real-time look and feel, where there were many references to current events like 9/11. How are we supposed to believe Tony was about 20 by 1970, but under 50 during the events of Sopranos?

fspringer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.