Costco TV sale Jan 13-Feb 3

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Chris DeVoe, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I was in my local Costco, and they had a flyer with some what looks to be really great prices on TVs and a few other things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Was just at a local Costco -
    While busily shopping for Haggendaaz ice cream bars ;) ,
    I caught a glimpse at one of those super-slim half-inch thick TV screens...
    I wonder if those are on sale!

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm actually in the market for a new tv but am having difficulty pulling the trigger. I'm looking for a 75 inch but the prices and reviews are all over the place. The Sammy in the the flyer looks good but I need to be under $2,000...and as far under that I can get without sacrificing picture quality. I need to do something soon, pretty sure the prices won't be low again till black Friday.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

This flyer was at the CostCo on Linwood in Kansas City, so you can go look at it and find if the extra $300 is worth it.

forthlin likes this.
  5. forthlin

Thanks Chris. The problem I'm having with shopping is that the tvs are displayed with a fancy-schmancy graphics loop which makes it difficult to determine the quality of one vs. the other, they all look spectacular. It'd be nice to see some real world content for comparison. I am thinking of buying from Costco though, they seem to generally have the best prices, extended warranty, and a generous return policy.

6. Chris DeVoe

I used to work at BrandsMart, a serious audio video place that had excellent display rooms, living room like lighting and a wide range of source material to demonstrate - and was driven out of business by Best Buy. The problem is all the things necessary to make an informed decision are incompatible with the lowest possible price.

If I were shopping for a TV myself, I go out to Nebraska Furniture Mart - a bunch of my former BrandsMart mates wound up out there, and I'm pretty sure they'd let me play whatever material I want it on any of the televisions I wanted.

Twinsfan007 and forthlin like this.
  7. forthlin

That's a good tip, Thanks! I remember Brandsmart from my time in Miami, bought a Pioneer CTF-1250 cassette deck there.

8. Chris DeVoe

This was the Kansas City BrandsMart. Unrelated to the East Coast one.

forthlin likes this.
  9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

The BrandsMart you’re talking about is still in business here in Miami.

forthlin likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

The one I worked for was only around the Kansas City area. We only had seven stores at the most. When I was at CES, a lot of people were confused about that.

forthlin and black sheriff like this.
  11. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

When you walk into the Costco here the TVs greet you. They look really cool, but my TVs aren’t dead yet so it’s hard to justify the upgrade.

12. Chris DeVoe

I know! I've got a 15 year old 1080i Samsung, and it's working perfectly fine. I want the extended color depth contrast ratio but I could give a fig about the extra resolution.

Boomy likes this.
  13. forthlin

This surprises me just a bit, you're such a big movie buff I'd think you'd really appreciate something with improved performance. That said, the TV I'm replacing is at 2006 Sony rear projection and I'd be happy with it were it not for the failure of the color engine (there's a green cast to everything.)

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm surprised Chris actually has the time to watch TV...let alone wait in line at the Concessions area for a box of Dots...

longdist01 likes this.
  15. lightbulb

The last time I needed, and the next time I will need to buy a TV, it’s Costco.
    No doubt.

Since you can order many models to be shipped to your door...
    You can “test” the model you’re eyeing, at home.
    Spend a few days with it.
    (Aside from the acceptable hassle of setting it up & taking it down....)
    If something isn’t right, just bring it back into the store.

No questions asked, No hassle.*
    Money back guaranteed.

That’s very convenient !

*well, they may ask if it’s defective/damaged.
    *i’ve never returned more than one TV; don’t set up your own home showroom with a dozen brands ;)

forthlin likes this.
  16. lightbulb

The first/last time I bought a flat screen TV, my old Big Box Screen red-lined... (maybe it was a blue line...?)

Anyway, we picked up a new TV, at Costco later that day.
    (You can’t live without TV! ;) )

Getting it home, setting it up, we realized there was ONE dead pixel on the screen.
    5 days later, it never “revived”.
    Just a pink/red dot drawing your eye to that part of the screen.
    Annoying.

So, packed it up, hauled it into the Costco.
    Then I realized it was the day after The SuperBowl, and a World Championship Heavyweight Boxing match.

I joked with the salesman, “Yeah, I had the buddies over, just to watch the games and party...now I’m here to return the TV.”

Absolutely no reaction from the salesman.
    He issued me a full refund.

I quickly realized at least two things:
    Costco has a great, generous return policy,
    and my joke sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.