Listenin' To Prog and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HiResGeek, Jan 24, 2019.

1. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions Thread Starter

I'm setting this up because I think there are a decent number of progressive rock fans on this forum, and I've searched and searched but have never seen a thread like this, similar to what we see for Jazz and Classical. I create this with some trepidation, as a thread like this could end up being dangerous for my wallet!

My definition of "prog" is pretty loose, it can be symphonic, Canterbury, jazz-rock, or whatever you like, quite frankly. Hopefully this thread gains some traction.

Currently, I'm spinning one of my all-time faves in the genre:

[​IMG]

Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
    (Steve Wilson remix)

Scopitone, Terry, VinylMan07 and 64 others like this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Well done, @HiResGeek

I'm not listening to prog right now (Miles Davis is on my headphones now, how ironic) but I'd like to recommend this hell of an album.
    Todd Rundgren isn't much talked about and this is EXTREME PROG with tons of everything that makes the detractors hate the genre so much:

hutchguv, BPMC, Marty T and 29 others like this.
  3. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Great idea. I'm currently spinning the Eclectic Discs version of this gem.

Norco74, Alan2, Siegmund and 20 others like this.
  4. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Reacquainted myself with this one earlier today...

The expanded Esoteric issue. Only heard the main album, it sounded absolutely heavenly.

I listen to progressive rock most all the time. Sure there is room for many genres in my collection and I enjoy a lot of different music... But progressive rock will always be my #1. Will keep my eyes on this thread!

Vanja, BPMC, mistermusic and 16 others like this.
  5. HiResGeek

I love this disc. Young Steve Hillage, pre-Gong. Underrated gem!

BPMC, Alan2, unclesalty and 5 others like this.
  6. HiResGeek

Please post often in it then!

I also love progressive rock, although I also have equal affection for Jazz, Classical, and standard "Classic" rock. But this is my favorite rock genre, no doubt.

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

You might find some new music to enjoy on my website, which contains reviews of thousands of albums by female musicians spanning progressive rock and all its allied genres:

http://rf3769.wixsite.com/richardfalksreviews/

Here's something to be going on with – have you heard the much-lauded modern prog band Anekdoten?

Norco74, Ivand, rainbow dome and 8 others like this.
  8. HiResGeek

I have some of their stuff and I recall liking it, but I haven't listened to it in a while. I'll need to give it another spin some time soon.

9. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Hopefully the crazy, unknown prog that i listen too will stir some conversation! This kinda thread makes me a little apprehensive too! Love the fact that your definition of prog is pretty loose, mine is too!

Thanks for creating this thread! Can’t wait to contribute, read and learn of new bands.

Good Lord, just what i needed. :D

10. HiResGeek

That’s my hope as well, that this thread brings to light some great prog bands I’ve not heard before...although that could be expensive!

calgary669 likes this.
  11. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Anekdoten was quite popular (in a prog context, anyway) in the mid-90s, and while I quite liked their first two albums I haven't really taken to anything they've released since From Within. I need to revisit them with fresh ears and an open mind.

manxman likes this.
  12. calgary669

All right, to kick off my contribution is this classic RPI album from Luciano Basso. This, in fact, was my entry point into the whole Italian prog movement - I know, a weird place to start!

There’s a shop in Montreal that started as a prog only store: they had a jukebox in the back, where I would spend hours listening to snippets of dozens of albums.

In any event, I am revisiting this album today and it’s great! Melodic piano along with some killer violin makes this album an absolute in any good prog library!

[​IMG]

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Obviously I have been listening to lots of Gentle Giant and Genesis of late.
    Since 5.1 became a thing, even if an underground thing, prog has leaped up in my listening because it seems to be the main genre represented.
    For me it has been wonderful....
    Discovering Gentle Giant.
    Getting more deeply into Genesis.
    Getting a ton of Tull sets where I used to only know two albums.
    Getting almost all the Crimson stuff after only ever having Islands.

It is a terrible shame that progressive music got a stigma attached to it, because the essential element was being progressive, but the nature of the industry caused it to become stagnant to a degree.
    I love that the idea survived in a lot of bands and over the last ten years or so we've seen a bit more in the line of interesting long form and short form progressive stuff.

14. mark winstanley

Old School
    Played this for my wife last night and she was kind of speechless, I don't think she had ever heard anything like it before.

15. mark winstanley

New School
    This blew me away when I discovered it.

16. calgary669

Their entire catalogue is superb! For me, if I was to pinpoint a favourite, it is a coin toss between this album and their first one. All of the Above for me... well, stands above the rest as a fabulous track!

17. HiResGeek

I love me some Giant. One of the best from back in the day.

Genesis is one of those bands that I never completely embraced, although I like a lot of their stuff. However your thread has had me re-evaluating their discography recently (up through WatW, at least), and I like them more now than I previously had. Supper's Ready is a true classic, one of the best tunes the genre had to offer; The Musical Box is another great tune.

18. mark winstanley

I love musical box, that was my come to the party point.

19. calgary669

Genesis (Supper’s Ready) and Yes (Close to the Edge) gave me my first taste to the whole genre in 1989.30 years later, I still discover bands monthly. Currently suffering from depression and being on leave of absence, I have more time on hand than usual, time that I use to discover jazz, blues and... of course more prog.

Music is a very important part of my life and I can’t wait to find out what my next discovery is!

20. calgary669

Up next is this brand new album from Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta and Phil Keaggy entitled The Bucket List. This was released last week and is all instrumental! Wonderful music, not to be missed as all 3 have a very interesting presence on the album.

[​IMG]

21. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

24. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

If you haven't had a listen I can recommend "Airbag"...

25. calgary669

Yes, great band. They are releasing their 3 albums again on vinyl soon.

Also be on the lookout for Bjorn Riis, Airbag’s lead guitarist. He has a couple of albums that are pretty solid, atmospheric and all. He also has a new solo album in the works!

StarDoG likes this.