Deerhunter - New Album January 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Halcyon Digest is one of my all time favorite albums. I’m looking forward to picking this up. I saw one complaint about noisy vinyl. Anybody else having that issue?

2. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Picked up tickets today for the Brooklyn show on the the strength on the new record. I didn't really love Fading Frontier but I'm digging Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?. First saw them around the release of Cryptograms---when Bradford Cox was often as entertaining as the music.

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I've been on a huuuuge Deerhunter binge ever since this record leaked, and what I said previously in a slightly hyperbolic tone, I now say with conviction. These guys really are one of the best bands of the 21st Century.

In addition to being one of the most enigmatic and captivating frontmen of his generation, Bradford is subtly one hell of a guitar player, and that NEH performance from Pitchfork a few posts above certainly proves it.

I've got a stash of DH records on hold for me at the local shop and I am looking forward to finally grabbin' em and blasting tomorrow. And then the countdown begins to the MANY shows I hope to catch this year!

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

Lockett Pundt is also an excellent guitarist, you should check out his two albums as Lotus Plaza, The Floodlight Collective and especially Spooky Action At A Distance. Don't forget Bradford Cox and his Atlas Sound project, who have three wonderful albums. It's a deep well indeed.

5. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Are there printed lyrics included in the new album?

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve loved some of the “singles”, Coronado, Back to the Middle & Helicopter but this is the first album of theirs I’ve bought and I think it’s excellent (I’ve heard the last 3 albums but this is the one that’s grabbed me the most.)

I’ve been listening to the leak for a couple weeks and that made me decide to buy the vinyl today. In answer to someone’s question above, there was some crackle between tracks 1 & 2 but nothing during the songs, even in the quieter intros and outros.

Now I’m thinking about getting Halcyon Digest & Monomania, can anyone comment on the quality of the vinyl pressings of these two?

7. ralphb

They're included with the cd, so I assume the vinyl also has them.

luckycountry likes this.
  8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

The new album is slowly growing on me. I revisited Fading Frontier which I was not a fan of when it first came out and it’s slowly creeping up as one of my favorite Deerhunter albums.

Lil' Brian and fourfeathers like this.
  9. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

I was really looking forward to this album but after the first listen it didn’t do much for me.

10. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

My vinyl was grey colored and mostly quiet. It's not on par with something by Pallas or QP, but acceptable.

Huge DH and Atlas Sound fan. I have all their albums. I've only listened to WHED? a couple of times but I'd give it a 7.5/10. I like it, and appreciate the subtle change in their sound,but it seems a bit too subdued for my taste. Nothing on here ranks with something like "Ad Astra" from FF.
    Tangentially, I've enjoyed the blast of Braford Cox interviews. I like how passionate and opinionated he is, even if he does occasionally come off as the most crotchety guy in his mid-30's alive.
    Curious if anyone here scored the cassette only EP from their last tour?

11. ralphb

I'm loving the Cox interviews too, he likes to stir things up a bit but his passion is very real.
    That cassette is supposed to be quite good, but I haven't heard it either. Maybe when they get around to the career retrospective box, it'll be included as a bonus.:)
    Again, try to hear those Lotus Plaza albums from Lockett Pundt if you haven't they're both excellent.

ellingtonic likes this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

It's great! Mostly instrumental.

13. ralphb

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  14. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Amazon didn't ship my copy until Monday, so I streamed it a few times before I got mine. I've liked everything that Deerhunter has released from Microcastle on, and this new one is a great addition to that line.

ellingtonic likes this.
  15. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Mine came Thursday and I gave it a spin to start the night. I really liked it, but I was late to the party on them. A few friends that have been into them from the beginning don’t seem as enthused...try may not like their way their music has evolved. It happens.

16. ralphb

Their music has definitely changed since the Cryptogram days, but all bands evolve, and the music still feels like it belongs to Deerhunter. As I said upthread, Josh Fauver leaving the band had a huge impact on where their sound went.
    Change is good for a band, and I for one am loving this album.

The Spin review a few posts up is very insightful.

17. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

18. ralphb

luckycountry likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Glad you linked that interview, as despite being into Deerhunter's Music since 2011(after reading that Halcyon Digest was near the top of most Best of 2010 Albums), I have not read any interviews with Bradford Cox before, but only know that he got his Bony Look from Marfans Syndrome when reading about him, and felt it must have been a tough childhood for him as kids can be cruel.

Looking forward to more Great Music from Deerhunter in the future(and I need to check out his Atlas Sound Solo Project Albums). Would need to drive 90+ miles but might do it for the Current Tour. Was scared off in the past as read some people experienced Bad Concerts with Cox being drunk and not even playing the songs correctly(cannot recall the year so might have been over 8 years ago), but seems like he is past that stage in life, or maybe the band got some blowback over it and have been great in concert in recent years. If anyone here has seen them recently(or plan to see them on their 2019 Spring Tour), would like to know how the concert was and if Deerhunter played Songs from their Older Albums(actually would hope this Tour would also include a few songs from 'Fading Frontier' since it was their prior album).

20. ralphb

The Atlas sound albums get progressively more accessible. The first, Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel is closer to Cryptograms era Deerhunter, less formation to the songs, a kind of psych drift. The bonus disc included with the import is almost better than the main one and "It Rained" is one of the best things Cox has ever done.
    The second, Logos has its share of drift but gets more song oriented. The highlight is the duet with Laetitia Sadier, "Quick Canal" which is 8 minutes of motorik bliss.
    The last, Parallax ,is very nearly commercial, Mick Rock photo of Cox on the cover and all.
    All three are must haves, and again, the Lotus Plaza albums (guitarist Lockett Pundt) are also essential.

21. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

this one took a second to get into, but everything started to click around the second or third listening. i've been listening to it for weeks and i think that it's their best since halcyon. i also really liked fading frontier a lot as well, but that was hands down the worst show i've ever seen in my life and i've seen a lot of ****.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Appreciate your time for the detailed information on the Atlas Sound Albums.

ralphb likes this.
  23. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, what's up with that, I always loved the shows I've seen by them, and the one I saw late 2015 had them going through the motions with an uneven setlist. Very annoyed I missed them half a year ago at a festival over here, because of the clash with Arctic Monkeys.

24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I finally received my copy today and I love the album after one listen.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ralphb likes this.
  25. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

After a couple of listens through spotify, I got my CD copy on the post today.
    I think there's a very strong "Low" era Bowie vibe to it which is ok in my book!:righton:

ralphb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.