Audio note amp and headphones is it possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jsr, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

To me, it's about musical drive. Yes, the highs of the Alnico are great--really open and crisp--but the big differentiator for me is the ability of the Alnicos to suck you into the music.

kessi likes this.
  2. DaveP65

DaveP65 Active Member

spartree,

I didn't notice any background noise. I have a good digital source and my pre-amp and amps are nearly silent.
    I'd really recommend this approach. And if you're good with a soldering iron, modding the adapter takes about 30 minutes. The only downside for me was the connecting and disconnecting, since I used it a lot. I sold it when I upgraded to electrostatic headphones, and a completely different adapter/energizer was necessary.

Dave

3. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I have Quests as well (not silver sig though), and I’ve just upgraded from an M2 to and M5 preamp. I’ve been wanting to put together a good headphone setup for a while but the total investment cost with amp was discouraging me. So I think this adapter is the answer, and upgrading it with AN components would definitely be ideal.

4. jsr

jsr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, I really like this idea. I have been using my carey 300b as a headphone amp but cannot enjoy my vinyl. I wll try Don Parkhursts suggestion in the interm, even though it means running two sets of 300b’s just to use the phono stage in the Meishu however it is less than buying a AN phono stage just for this purpose. I will now try and source that HE adapter.

5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

My dealer concurs and steered me to the AN-J/lx's because he said the Spe was too lean/bright. He said the next, very step up in silver the Spx sounds great but obviously very expensive.

jsr likes this.
  6. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Hey did you ever get your headphone setup sorted? Did you grab that Hifiman HE-Adapter in the end?

7. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

@jsr I recently picked up an inexpensive bi-wire pair of Canare 4s11 (bare terminated) from a SHTV member and hooked them up to my AN E's and it was a noticeable improvement. As in the wife noticed immediately and was impressed. I know that Audio Note recommends bi-wiring and now I can see why. I would have put myself in the skeptic camp before actually trying it, but there will be no need for any more jumpers for me.

Don Parkhurst, Fred Hansen and Encore like this.
  8. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

AN does have the option to order the Oto Phono SE with a headphone output. They also have some things in the works to be released next year(s)! :)

jsr likes this.
  9. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

did you end up trying this? how did it sound?

10. jsr

Thanks so much for the update. I dont have to think about it any more as my E-LX are gone and my new ones came bi wired from the factory(hard wired with external xovers) I will never know what that changes actually makes but I sure do enjoy my new E’s.

11. jsr

I never did try it, I ended up finding a very sweet deal on a headphone amp and phono stage which has been able look after those times when I have to use headphones. I find that I love the idea of headphones and the fact that I dont have to disturb the entire household when I am listening but since they don't come anywhere close to my “non headphone” system I rarely use them. One day I hope to have a dedicated listing room

Sugar Man likes this.
  12. jsr

I ended up getting a very nice deal on a headphone amp and phono stage so I never went that route. I may one day as I dont get much enjoyment form my headphones , and actually rarely use them. If I could get a dedicated listening room it will become a non issue......... one day:agree:

13. jsr

Update , jus
    Did you end up buying a dedicated headphone amp/energizer ? I see Woo Audio has a unit called the WEE that would allow you to use your Audio Note gear

14. jsr

I am curious to know if you ended up putting together a headphone system. I am not getting too much enjoyment from my HP set up, so may venture down this road again in the coming months as the dedicated listening room is still a very long way off

15. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Not yet. As always, other priorities have taken precedence. I’m kind of interested to see what AN has cooking for next year as well.

jsr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.