APP "I robot" 2017 vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by narf0815, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Don't even get me started on Dark Side of the Moon :)

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Nice! I bet the 45rpm set is sweet, but I'm passing on it as I'm not a fan of breaking flow on proggy albums.
    I have the Classic Records dual sided (192/96) DVD-A which I find surprising faithful to the UK Blaires cut.
    Hafta' admit I'm surprised to see you rate the UK so low....different strokes!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Tell me about it!! I'm still in the double digits on DSOTM even after gifting a bunch out...oh well,

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

@Slick Willie I think the UK I Robot is absolutely phenomenal. I need to play it again. Honestly on my list all of them are winners. But the MOFI 2x45 edges it slightly for detail and the Classic has a tubey oomph to it (also very detailed) that they are just a little cut above. Even the standard US pressing can do some amazing things. This album is so well engineered and there are so many great mastering/pressings of this it really is just an embarrassment of riches.

Johnny Vinyl and Floyd Crazy like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just bought the recent 45rpm MFSL and it sounds incredible....really great warmth and detail. I cannot recommend it enough...

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Well true, sorta' like DSOTM? But there are differences that I would not quite rate as subtle. Mostly dealing with the mids/highs/detail.
    The CR DVD-A is not "tubey", not in any way.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Skip it and buy the new one...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Near mint vinyl originals are still commonly available for around £10/€10 or less in the UK/Europe.

Neonbeam and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

So does Slick or Echoes have more pressings of I Robot?..........I lost count. :shh:

Seriously, this remains one of those albums where one can walk into any record store and plump down $5 to $10 and walk out with a true audiophile piece of wax. I only own two vinyl pressings of this album..........the 80's MFSL and a US original. I prefer the US.

11. Not including multiples, which would bring it into double digits, I have:

Canada
    UK
    US
    Classic
    Mofi 33
    Mofi 45

If someone were new to this album I would say to get any of these in VG+/NM condition and you'll be happy. It's a shining example of how albums should be recorded, mastered and pressed. If that person then wanted to expand their collection I would say to definitely include the original UK Sparty 1012. I rate the Canadian & US equally. For the reissues it becomes a bit blurrier as they all have their strengths & weaknesses (although those are few, if any), and it'll depend more on personal preference for any sound signature each reissue has.

For sound I would choose the MFSL 2X45, but NOT for continuity. Although it doesn't bother me a whole lot, the double-flipping can be a bit annoying sometimes. I'm glad I therefore also have the Classic Records and MFSL 33 reissue. I'm not saying it's better, but I prefer the Classic over the MFSL 33 ever so slightly. I've invested enough in this album, so I'm stopping and will forego a Japanese pressing and the MOV reissue.

12. Echoes Myron

You all were right about the MOFI Tales. Massive soundstage!

[​IMG]

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I wonder how many times this needs to be explained on this forum?

MoV is a trustworthy reissue label.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have an excellent copy of the US I Robot. Sonically one of the best records in my collection. However, the can still be obtained in good condition for little money.

15. Echoes Myron

Yeah I recently picked up a US Arista I Robot for $1. They usually go.for $3-$10. Best deal in audiophiledom.

Machiventa and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.