Endeavour episode Canticle" w/ 60's rock references

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by n.phelge, Oct 3, 2017.

1. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident Thread Starter

The wife and I watch this series from PBS Masterpiece Mysteries, and the listed episode has a number of cheeky references to the Have You Seen Your Mother picture sleeve, Tomorrow Never Knows lyrics, clues in LP deadwax, etc.

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My favorite current TV series.
    Have to rewatch "Canticle" now. They are big into the cheeky references - one episode has a few Jaws references, another references early Genesis.
    New series just started, too...

3. Peace N. Love

In the absence of a dedicated Endeavour thread, has anyone else been watching the fifth series?

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Really enjoying it, possibly my favourite series so far and I'm eagerly awaiting the resolution of the gangland story arc.

From a forum point of view the record label and music didn't match on the record stall, Pye and Island or Treasure Isle as I recall, in the West Indian club the Reggae posters and Keith and Tex's "Stop That Train" were both probably anachronistic one too early and one too late and much more popular and known now than then, also if you see a friend's precious stolen records then why oh why would you leave them on the store and not even mention them to him.:realmad:

greasepaint, timind and Peace N. Love like this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Haha, well-spotted. With your eye for detail, I was going to accuse you of being a trainspotter, but then you'd probably have told me that you prefer "record enthusiast" :)

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe it's set in 1968 which when it comes to Jamaican music is an interesting and transitional period, the term Reggae was only coined to describe the music in '68 and originally spelled Reggay, to the best of my knowledge the episode of Endeavour was set prior to the common usage of the term let alone in print so all those posters with Reggae on them really stood out like a sore thumb, ironically the track "Stop That Train" was Rocksteady, the correct style for the time frame, but a tune from '67 and although possibly played in '68, the up to date nature of the Jamaican music scene would likely have precluded it. The majority of the people in the UK, black and white would likely have been calling the music Blue Beat at the time and that or Rocksteady would both have been more appropriate for the posters. Even the concept of a West Indian owned and run bar may be problematic for '68, they existed, but were very few and far between, whether Oxford had such a venue so early I do not know, but I'd be surprised if it was the case, I've only ever discussed the seventies/eighties Oxford scene with people. Sorry about the detail, but interviewing Reggae artists about their experiences living in the UK during the 1960s is something I do for a living so it all kind of bugged me.

Considering the plot I think record enthusiast is much better than trainspotter.:laugh:

edenofflowers and Peace N. Love like this.
  7. Peace N. Love

No, the detail is much appreciated - not least because I was wondering who did "Stop that Train" so now I can go and seek it out. I'm actually not an opera fan, so I always enjoy when the show incorporates non-opera music. Which reminds me - the hospital DJ in an earlier episode was brilliant.

I am enjoying the new season - really, everything about this show is so well done. My only slight criticism is that sometimes the episodes are so dense that I tend to enjoy them a little more on second viewing because I find I catch more of the details the second time around.

greasepaint and Dubmart like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They do pack a lot in, I'm surprised at the lack of response to this thread, it's such a good show, I guess they haven't showed the latest series in America yet.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I love the series, but being in the U.S. we won't see the next season for a while.

John K.

10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I noticed a scene in the most recent episode during which the Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was played, surely wrong for 1968!

Ignatius and Peace N. Love like this.
  11. Peace N. Love

Very, very excited for a new series. Back down to 4 episodes, apparently, but nevertheless...

Karnak likes this.
  12. The music has been quite enjoyable on Endeavor.

My wife and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime. Disappointed that season 5 requires additional $$$. We live in an area with no real PBS station and DirecTV only sends standard def feed of the Santa Barbra PBS.

Surprised it hasn't got a thread here or at least more frequent comments.

Guess we'll wait until it comes out on one of the various channels we already pay money for (DirecTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime). Thinking of getting BritBox to binge Morse, as we've never seen it, but gotta draw the line someplace.

13. Peace N. Love

Yes, surprised there hasn't been more commentary about Endeavour on here.

In any case, I hope you get to watch the later series soon - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

14. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Love this show. One of my favorites of all time. And I could never get into Morse.

15. Peace N. Love

Same with me. The only reasons I decided to watch Endeavour were the '60s time period and Roger Allam.

smilin ed and Exit Flagger like this.
  16. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I enjoyed Morse at the time, but I was only about 1o when it started and on rewatching, it’s nowhere near as good as I remembered it. John Thaw’s performance is still fantastic, and the dynamic between him and Kevin Whately is well observed.

Now Endeavour’s stopped trying to be Jonathan Creek meets Heartbeat, I think it’s a better show. I can take or leave the central mysteries; it’s more the tragedy of watching someone ruining his own life that works for me.

If anyone fancies a laugh, track down the scene in the first episode of Inspector Morse when the middle class drug addict tries to get a prescription filled. The combination of wooden acting, 80s fashions and ‘gritty’ dialogue written by middle aged, middle class screenwriters is hilarious: “Thanks a ????, thanks a complete ????”.

Ignatius likes this.
  17. I really want to, just tough to justify spending even more money than we already have on various TV delivery systems. I think I've enjoyed Endeavor at least as much as any of the other British Detective series we've watched.

We've binged on just about all of the British Detective series (long list). We're trying Midsomer Murders now. Hard to stick with it right now. I like the Lead, but the writing has obvious holes in it, and I think there are just to many subtle digs here and there that we just don't get. (I've bookmarked a "British Slang" site so I can get a better understanding. It helps on some things, but I think there are references to British Culture and Social things that I completely miss).

four sticks likes this.
  18. Peace N. Love

Yeah, I'm hit and miss on Midsomer... I actually liked the first few seasons with Neil Gudgeon taking over as Barnaby's cousin, but I lost interest after a while. Although his sidekick for a couple of seasons is the Brian May actor from Bohemian Rhapsody. he was good.

19. Peace N. Love

So the new series begins with the whole infrastructure of the show to date pretty much blown up. I wasn't sure how this would work, but ended up really enjoying it. Some classic moments, not least the brilliant opening.

Dubmart likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Great opening episode, really setting the scene for the rest of the run and totally agree with RMP1967 that the opening was brilliant and they totally nailed it, even the 4:3 ratio, it might have been a genuine public information film from '69, I didn't notice any anachronisms either, though I was enjoying it too much to care even if there were some.

21. Peace N. Love

A pretty intense end to the series. This was a difficult and challenging set of episodes in many respects, but brilliantly crafted, and such a strong cast. Don't want to say much more about it due to huge spoiler potential.

22. Peace N. Love

Also, considering that the series doesn't feature a lot of rock, the use of Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be" in Pylon worked very well. Set the stage for the new era, Ronnie Box, etc.

And, in a show that doesn't have any weak actors, Anton Lesser continues to amaze.

four sticks likes this.
  23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Season/Series 6 starting on PBS in the US tonight....

24. Peace N. Love

It's a great season/series. A little challenging in the way it sort of destroys the infrastructure of the whole series in way... but well worth watching through to the last episode, which is outstanding.

On a musical note, you get both Led Zeppelin and Jim Reeves. :)

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The sixth season just finished last weekend on PBS. This is one of my favourite current TV series. Unfortunately this last season was only four episodes. Apparently, it's been renewed for a seventh.

Did the character 'Joan Thursby' (the daughter of Fred Thursby, Morse's superior officer) ever turn up in the old 'Inspector Morse' series? I have a vague recollection that she did, but can't find a reference to it. My recollection is that in that 'Morse' episode she was (unhappily) married, with children, and somehow involved in a case where Morse's participation is requested. Surprise. Is my memory just making that up?