Audio Technica's new VM cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Davies, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check the links above.

Here is info directly from Namiki

MicroRidge | Adamant Namiki Precision Jewel Co., Ltd.

MusicNBeer and Heckto35 like this.
  2. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Economies of scale and perceived prestige.

AT uses the ML stylus on far more cartridges and sells more ML styli total. That means they are cheaper to buy in bulk.

McLover and MusicNBeer like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks for those two links, the measurements, while at times over my head, were pretty revealing, with the SLC consistently showing a hotter top end and at times twice as much distortion! Amazing that AT was able to pack so much performance with the ML stylus.

I think I’m going to call pat on my 740ml and enjoy it for the rest of it’s stylus life, of which there is plenty.

MusicNBeer and Heckto35 like this.
  5. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Whichever one you choose, I am positive you will enjoy it!

6. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

From what I understand the VM 700 series cartridge bodies are all the same for the 740 750 and 760 but is it the same as the at150mlx cartridge body? If I were to install the at150mlx stylus on the vm740ml cartridge body would it be any different from the stock at150mlx cartridge body?

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Only way to know if it's practically the same is to test the resistance and inductance of each body and compare them. Failing that, compare manufacturer's specs (which could be off a little).

8. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I am running a VM700 body qith 150MLX stylus, it is noticeably better than the 740ML

porotikos and Phono Groove like this.
  9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

In what sense?

Heckto35 likes this.
  10. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

I'm dreading the day that I have to replace my 150MLX... so far looks like the 740ML is the closest, but inferior.

I also wonder if I would be disappointed in a Rega Exact on my P3 after being used to the 150MLX... the 740ML is also half the price of the Rega.

maglorine likes this.
  11. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

I'm using the wmn40ml on my at150mlx body, to me it sounds a bit better actually, throught my rp6 with the fono mm mk3.

12. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Looking for a “future proof” cartridge for a technics sl-d3 I’ll be picking up from my dad soon. Originally was settled on buying a planar 3 and nagaoka mp110, but I decided to give this a go while I watch and wait for something in the range of a SL1200 to VPI scout comes up on Craigslist. With that said all the cartridge recommendations I’ve seen for this table have been discontinued, and that’s how I found myself here looking at the replacements for carts like the 150mlx.

760slc is definitely out of my budget for now, but would consider the 540ml, but will locking myself into a cart like this limit my ideal turntable options in the future? Would I be better off getting a budget $50 cart now and then figure out a quality cart once I have a more mid-fi table? I think based on my current/future budget I will stick with MM.

13. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I'd get the VM540ML - I've run it on both my SL-D2 and SL-D303 with great results (using a Baerwald alignment, rather than the stock Technics 52mm overhang). I will qualify this by saying that I did trim down the length of my cables on both tables a bit, as part of putting better shielded plugs on those - both test in the 100-110 pf range now. Stock would run a bit higher, and keeping the capacitance low seems to be really beneficial on this cart. Plus, if you move to a 1200, all you have to do is swap the headshell over and you're set - same geometry on the arms.

patient_ot and FuzzyNightmares like this.
  14. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Is there someplace I could find a guide on this (the trimming cables, installing shield plugs, which plugs to use etc?) Electronics are not really in my wheelhouse

15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

You could argue that the 540ml is better than the top of the range 95sh, I have both but reserving judgement till the shibata is broken in. I did notice that the cantilever on the 95 does seem to be more bulky than the 540.

16. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I'd suggest asking a friendly local shop, if you've got one you deal with - they should be able to walk you through this, and having someone show you how to strip the cables and get a good connection the first time is a good idea (plus you don't have to get the tools right off the bat). If that's not an option, I'm sure there are plenty of U-tube videos that can walk you through this. (Like many things, you'll find a variety of opinions on the best way to do this, so get a couple opinions and remember that solder's not exactly just metal glue.)

RCA plugs are pretty easy, and a good way to start with soldering. No need to go crazy high end with plugs; a decent pair of metal shell Neutriks or Switchcrafts should do, which should only set you back a few bucks.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Given the option of buying a VM540ML cart to replace an AT150MLX, would it be smarter to keep the 150MLX cart and just snap on a 540ML stylus? Anyone have an opinion on any advantage either way?

Hermetech Mastering and Francois like this.
  18. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

That's exactly what I did. I don't have much of a revealing system, but I'd say it works for me! Got a few recordings of it on soundcloud!

George Blair likes this.
  19. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

What is the break in time for the vm760slc?

I received a 760slc last week to replace my now slightly "bet to the right" 740ml. I have not installed it yet, my SL-1700MKII is playing up, hence the bent cantilever. So there is no way I am placing my $930 slc on it! I popped the stylus on for a few seconds, but it did not sound great. Stupid pricing means that buying the whole cart/stylus combo again, was very slightly less and in some cases, MORE expensive than buying the stylus only. I may buy a shibata stylus for my second cart. I am curious about it being the best for hard rock music, which what I mainly listen to.

I should be recieving a Denon DP-47f and Victor QL-Y44 later today. Once I get a protractor for either, I will place the slc on one of them. It was much easier on the Technics. The Denon has a barely used DP-110 installed and also includes the original DL-80 cart. I am curious about the sound of the DP-110, so I will probably try it for a while. The Victor has its original 100 EC II cart on it. I THOUGHT my SA-7500 had phono 2 marked as "MC/PHONO 2" on the selector knob. On closer look last night, I realised the damn thing says "MIC/PHONO 2"!! So, no MC input. Same goes for the AU-9900 that is in need of service. So, I may just pop it on the Victor.

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

It was noted previously that the nuts they supply with the 740ml (I’m assuming it’s the same with the 540ml) don’t necessarily sit flushly within the slots of a headshell, such as on my technics 1200gr. It always looked a little odd, and genius me just realized today “wait, I have the original headshell nuts/screws that came with the technics”. Those sit perfectly flush in the technics headshell, and just look better than the AT nuts kind of sticking out above the headshell.

one of my questions is whether one could theoretically have better performance as a result, considering the cart is theoretically more “bonded” to the headshell.

21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I ordered a replacement stylus for my VM740ML.
    Will the new stylus need break in? Or should it just plug in and sound great since the cart has 18-20 months of playing on it?

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The surface of your new stylus will take a few hours to bed down but that should be it.

23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Cartridge bodies don't need break-in, and chances are 99.99% that your cartridge body didn't "wear out" --- put the new stylus on and enjoy. There is a short break in time of the new stylus tip, nowhere near the 50-200 hours I see some tout........ after a couple of LP's you'll be where you need to be.

Besides, if someone told you it needed "break-in" would it change anything?

Usually when I see questions like this, they're posted because someone installed the new product and was unsure about what they are hearing......

24. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Looks like we crossed posts and posted at the same time --- thank you for not saying it takes many hours to break in --- it doesn't! Nice to see we said the same thing at the same time.

guidedbyvoices and Morbius like this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks guys. I think the VM740ML did have a break in period of about 20 hours. Somewhere around 10 hours the mids seemed to really take over, and sounded almost muffled, but by 20 hours it worked itself out and was where it should be.
    No but this is only the 4th time I’ve changed a cart/stylus, and this time is the first time it’s just the stylus onto an existing cart. Just curious as a semi-newbie what to expect.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.