Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I predict that there will be no "one-stop Disney shopping". With a few obvious exceptions, there will be little of the charming old Disney material from 1930s-1970s, at first. Then a year or two after launch, we'll see the announcement "Due to public demand, we are now offering CLASSIC Disney+ featuring our entire "classic" Disney library". This will be a separate service or at best a paid upgrade. So you will need more than one Disney streaming service to get all of the content.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The only time I ever subscribe to them is for their original programming. We're big fans of Game of Thrones, Veep, Ray Donovan, and shows like that. It's rare that the movies are something we haven't already seen. HBO and Showtime are definitely at a crossroads...

3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

The original shows on HBO are worth paying for, even Showtime has some quality stuff going for it like the Twin Peaks revival. HBO has a pretty deep back catalog too, shows like the Wire and Sopranos tide subscribers over until the next hut. usually don’t watch movies on HBO or Cinemax due to their combo of outdated transfers and pan & scan. Showtime is usually pretty good about aspect ratio and decent transfers but it’s still far behind Netflix. I usually rent my films on iTunes though, Netflix and Amazon are still too slow and both have a very weak back catalog.

Agreed, Disney has always priced upmarket as well, so I’m instantly suspicious of this being branded as a cheap service. I wouldn’t be surprised if they implemented a rental component into the streaming platform like Amazon does. Stream the partial catalog, pay for premier titles.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  4. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Surprisingly, I've started to notice OAR transfers on HBO/Cinemax lately. I watched a few minutes of Dunkirk today.

5. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Good to hear, I guess they’re slowly creeping back in after the Skull Island debacle. I guess I should shamefully admit I did see that movie on an airplane lol. But for home viewing in 2018 where 50”+ TVs are the new average, there’s no reason to crop.

Jeff Edwards and Vidiot like this.
  6. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Agreed. Seems to be a very recent development.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's new management in place at HBO now, so my bet is that things are changing. And it's no coincidence that Netflix does routinely air 1.85, 2.00, and 2.39-aspect ratio shows all the time.

Jeff Edwards and zombiemodernist like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's an update on this ongoing story...

It’s become clear to Disney watchers that [Bob] Iger — who says he plans to step down when his contract expires in 2021 — has staked part of his legacy on proving that the empire can strike back against Netflix and the upstarts that have so dramatically disrupted Hollywood’s old order. Insiders say the chief executive has been taking a strong hand in leading programming check-in meetings with the company’s various divisions.

Inside Disney’s Daring Dive Into the Streaming World

Ha ha! "The Empire can strike back!" I get it!

Dan C and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Will this have rated R movies, such as movies from Buena Vista, Touchstone and Mirimax?

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Disney’s new streaming service will include ‘the entire Disney motion picture library’

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Disney sold Miramax in 2010. It is now owned by Qatar-based beIN Media Group.

apesfan and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ehhhhh.... ya never know. I wonder if they'll open up the vault to all the old 1920s silent films and all the B&W shorts?

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Why do I have this feeling the shorts from Mickey and the gang will be those "Have a Laugh" creations?

15. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Kind of like the villains Keenan Wynn, Harold Gould, and Dick Van Patten would play in Disney films.

16. AKA

17. AKA

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

$69.99/year sounds reasonable to me, I’m in.

MikaelaArsenault, forthlin and AKA like this.
  19. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

21. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

So I guess it would be too much to ask that we will get the unaltered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy then

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

$6.99 a month. I bet the execs at Netflix are scrambling today. Unless they're busy working on another movie about creatures that attack sound.

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

They should be scrambling for different jobs so they'll have something lined up when Disney buys Netflix. That's not really a thing, but doesn't it seem entirely plausible?

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think so. If they were going to do that, they would already have done so long ago instead of spending so much time developing their own streaming platform. And I doubt they're interested in Netflix original content as the vast majority isn't Disney friendly.

I'm pretty sure the low subscription price is an 'introductory' price designed to get people to sign up, but will no doubt increase once they have a critical mass.

I don't think Netflix has anything to worry about - it's not an either/or proposition. The services have very different types of content (I for one don't have any interest in Disney content) that appeal to different audiences. Both can coexist in the top tier end of the streaming market.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah Disney will just take over the market from Netflix with every family in america with a child under the age of 12!

Oh, wait, and all those teens into superheroes and Star Wars Movies.

3/4 of Netflix is crap. This is going to slam them. And Disney has said it's willing to lose money on it's service to build subscribers until 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.