LOTR director Peter Jackson restores WWI footage for new documentary, "They Shall Not Grow Old."*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt W., Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

other .."Labour of love "
    Hope to see it on the big screen. The 3-D version must be powerful.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm not sure how well it could work. The 2D version frequently had artifacts of the frame interpolation process, and there just wasn't a whole lot of detail on the original film. So I'm not sure where they could pull depth information from. I can't resolve forced 3D, so I can't judge.

showtaper likes this.
  3. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I submitted my email address to the website to get info about when it was being released in my area. No message was forthcoming, and I missed it completely.

4. Chris DeVoe

What's bizarre is that when I visited the US World War I museum on Armistice Day, nobody I spoke to had heard of the film!

longdist01 and Bill Larson like this.
  5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Your great grandfather was lucky to make it back. His unit was in the thick of it and had many casualties. A proud regiment.

6. samurai

For some reason very few Americans think much about WWI. In Europe it's a big deal, as it should be.

daglesj and longdist01 like this.
  7. I know. Sometimes I think about it; I am here, because somebody didn't die. He came out with various shrapnel wounds, all small, except for a long one on his right forearm, that went in and out. Then he was gassed enough to require hospital in 1917.

Jesus, this post just reminded me of something. My father, before he went to Vietnam, he asked my great-grandfather how did he survive the war. He told my father, "Never volunteer for anything, but never shirk your duty." Years later I asked him if that was true, and he said no, he was just lucky. Heh. Go figure.

Simon A and samurai like this.
  8. samurai

Some British soldiers in the trenches hoped for what was called a "blighty".
    A wound serious enough to be sent to the rear or England but not fatal or permanently disabling.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. Chris DeVoe

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great news on it filling screens, I was unable to attend the 27th showing, so hope the expanded markets in mid-January and further after February 1st on East Coast will bring it back to Midwest West Coast, possibly smaller markets too !

12. Chris DeVoe

If you ever get a chance, the WWI Museum and memorial in Kansas City is excellent.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I'm not sure what everybody's interest in the film was. Vickie and I were there because we're huge fans of Peter Jackson, and of course we were fascinated to see the restoration, and we just love great documentaries. I hope it does get more interest, and possibly a showing in the theater at the WW1 museum.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

So after watching the film I was less impressed than I thought I would be. As Chris said, there are digital artifacts that prevent the film from appearing truly lifelike. The colorizing was necessarily flatish for the same reason. I was impressed by how the technical group achieved the realism they did.

Jackson's film is a technical accomplishment of sorts but the French series, Apocalypse World War I is far superior at achieving the same emotional end. By focusing only on one extremely well known part of WWI - the problems in the trenches - Jackson's film is limited in impact. The French series humanises the impact of war in greater depth than Jackson's film by spreading the impact of the war onto not only soldiers as victims but also townspeople and cultures as victims. Save a bit of money and time and go to Youtube to find the series. It's a course on the war by itself.

Chris DeVoe, longdist01 and EddieMann like this.
  15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought the theatre would be almost empty. Turns out, I managed to buy the last ticket for the only showing.

16. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I went to not one but two theatres in Columbus on the 27th to find it sold out. It is coming back on MLK day and I plan on having pre-purchased tickets.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Thanks for letting us know. I'll let my contact at the World War 1 museum know.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

The film is back for a one-day return engagement in Winnipeg this Monday (21st January)...
    Landmark - Grant Park... 2D showing @ 4 pm and 3D showing @ 7 pm.

I missed it first time around in December... so I'm going to catch this one for sure.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

10% of the population (a million c. 1914) were killed or wounded. As Britain’s farm 80% of everything NZ produced was exported there. Plus family ties were much stronger, meaning a large percentage of volunteers were British-born. Jackson’s grandfather who served in WW1 was from the UK.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    seed_drill likes this.
  20. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Yes they did. My grandfather was one of the first group of Maori volunteers to serve in WW1. Not knowing what to do with them at first, the powers-that-be sent them to perform garrison duty in Malta first before going to Gallipoli to fight the Turks. Unacceptably high casualty rates at a time when Maori numbers were just starting to recover from C19th colonisation/decimation meant that they spent the rest of the war on the Western Front as pioneers.

My mother’s uncle served and was killed with the AIF at Gallipoli and my father’s uncle with the Royal Naval Divison at Cape Helles. We got around!

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I bet you Peter Jackson would like to do his version.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A remarkable project. Saw a 3D showing tonight and thought it was amazing. What Peter accomplished with WETA studios on the over/underexposed film from Imperial War Museum Archives....

I would probably have seen the regular 2D screening, but could not get tickets for that showing. The one aspect of seeing it with 3D for me were depth in shots of along and in trenches, marching troops filing by, textures even in uniforms. It's not huge but it worked for my taking film in. The color work is incredible as Peter and team tried to historically true. Lastly the sound and music were very effective in many of somber scenes.

I will buy the physical release when available!

23. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Fantastic. If you're a fan of WWI (history in general) or just a film of this kind of archival footage, you HAVE to see this.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

25. Chris DeVoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.