eBay: Make Offer ???

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by QuestionMark?, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

I don't like using this selling tool. I set a price and if it doesn't sell I usually lower and resist it. Sometimes I do auctions for 7 days. I do not appreciate people contacting me and making an offer when I did not use that option. Especially when the offer is stupid. I don't like have my selling listings flagged with an unanswered question flag. Does anyone share my view and is there any way to stop it?

2. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

don't list items with the 'offer' option. It's not supposed to happen if you don't use it. Not sure what you're talking about exactly

Dave likes this.
  3. QuestionMark?

You have an option when listing an item for sale that you will accept offers. I don't use that option and yet people contact me making an offer. That bothers me and I don't like it. If I was going to accept offers I would have stated that in my listing.

4. QuestionMark?

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Some numptys used to write with offers even before they started the "Make an Offer" crap. We got an offer once for $200 for something that finally sold for almost $2000 and the dude was offended that we hadn't jumped on it and wrote back twice more.

QuestionMark? likes this.
  6. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

ok I got you now. Yeah, you can't stop people contacting you on the side. I get it too....it's quite annoying but that's ebay today

7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You can't stop people messaging you through eBay. Just ignore/don't respond to their messages. If you're really annoyed by it, or the same person is contacting you multiple times, you can block them from bidding on or buying your item, although I don't know if that also blocks them from contacting you.

And no, it doesn't bother me if someone contacts me to make an offer on an item I have for sale.

8. QuestionMark?

I think what bothers me most is that flag that goes on your item in your selling list. I feel like I don't know if there is a person trying to ask a serious question that I am not getting to. Sometimes I answer the person that made the offer and that flag still remains. I think eBay should have an option in your listing that says offers are not accepted. Just a little check box for all to see.

9. QuestionMark?

Almost all the time after I refuse an offer my item sells for what I am asking. I try to list my items at the bottom of the asking prices to make it more appealing. Even then I get offers for half price that waste my time. I don't feel like I should have to respond to these people with a "No Thanks!"

10. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

All you should do is keep a boilerplate text response like this, and send it to everyone who contacts you with unsolicited offers:
    "Thank you for your offer. My policy is to abide by ebay rules, and not end auctions prematurely, as this would be unfair to current or potential bidders."

darbelob and QuestionMark? like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I LOVE the words Make An Offer, it's how I got that SACD just last night !!!!!!
    <<<<<<<<<

My collection might not be as large as it is, without it. He wanted just over $50, I offered him $40, he responded nearly immediately !!!! He's a third party seller, who's job it is, is to move things.

But do I make an offer when not invited to ? No, because I've been a seller also, and it's annoying, and insulting.

12. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

I mentioned this in another thread, but if you list an item for more than 7 days, they'll force you to start accepting offers (after a set # of days) even if you have it turned off. At least this was still happening last year, perhaps they've changed it back because it was upsetting so many people. They'd usually do it in the middle of the night so you wouldn't know your item was switched to "taking offers" until morning. You could then switch it back but it was a real pain. This is why I stopped doing offers over 7 days.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This on top of taking 10% of your total sale ? Damn.

14. HenryBlum

HenryBlum Well-Known Member

On the flip side of this, I hate it when sellers DO use the "Make Offer" option and you send them an offer that is $1 less than what they list and they still decline your offer.

I usually buy records less than $10 on Ebay so like a records that is $7.99 with "Make Offer" I send them $6.99 and they decline it.

Crazy. Can you blame me for trying to save $1 if I can? If you won't even take $1 less then what is the point of the "Make Offer"?

Eyedok, rob68, ted321 and 2 others like this.
  15. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I believe you can set it to automatically reject offers less than a certain amount. I have bought many things by using the make offer. It's good for both buyer and seller. If the buyer has good feedback than I am glad to give a lower price.. It's also good for an item that has no sales history or is in questionable condition..

16. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

What baffles me is when I list an Item with a best offer option and buyers continually pay the asking price:crazy:

JasonA, Myke and QuestionMark? like this.
  17. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Happens quite often, particulary if it's priced to sell. Why wait 1-2 days for them to respond to your offer and risk losing it to someone else?

Dave S, ted321 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  18. QuestionMark?

I have never had that happen to me but I have bought a few items that were buy it now or make offer and I just bought it now. They weren't that expensive and they were already fairly priced. I know my wife makes offers on more expensive items and has worked out deals.

19. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I hate this feature. It seems like they keep turning it back on for my listings. For an auction I am not interested in receiving offers lower than the starting price for the auction.

20. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

You can set it up so people can't contact you with questions, thus stopping that type of offer but also stopping any other kinds of questions.

21. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Are your listings more than 7 days? I had to mess around with trial and error before I discovered they don't apply this "feature" on listings 7 days and under.

22. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

No, mine are always 7 days. A couple of times I've realized this setting was on after someone made an offer. Could it be because I schedule my listings? I'm not a huge seller, but it still annoys me.

23. QuestionMark?

I don't know if it's good for sellers in the long run. I think that record prices over the last few years have dropped off on eBay even though we have this vinyl revival. Could it be from this "Make Offer" feature? I think this feature is probably great for buyers.

24. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, I've done that on a few DVDs (mostly the physical media I buy these days). I know the costs involved in selling (PayPal, bubble mailers, the "no amount of money is EVER enough for us" USPS), and I'd rather not squeeze the seller and have my disc arrive with the shipping label attached to the DVD case... :laugh:

Anyway, specifically regarding the thread topic, I only make offers on BINs. With auctions, I assume the "make offer" button was put there by eBay and the seller doesn't really want them. Maybe I'll run into an item someday that I really want and I'll give it a shot.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  25. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I never use the offer option. One time some guy emailed me and offered $15 on a $20 BIN item. I declined and ten minutes later, much to my surprise, he buys it for the full amount. He pays, I ship it and after he receives it he emails me "claiming" that it was damaged but would ok with it if I refund him $5 with a vague threat that he might give me a negative if I didn't comply with his refund request. What an A-hole! I refund him the $5 but after that incident, anyone who emails me with a lower offer immediately gets blocked!

Strat-Mangler and QuestionMark? like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.