Audi A5 B&O Surround System- DVD Audio Playback Issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Instant Karma, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did a search and did not see this discussed anywhere. I recently purchased a 2018 Audi A5 equipped with the B&O Surround sound system. I am having a little difficulty playing some DVD Audio discs. For instance, I can play Chicago V with no issues but Chicago II will only play if the vehicle is stationary. Some other that won't play while the vehicle is moving are Yes, Fragile, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and John Hiatt Bring The Family. Tommy by the Who, Ryan Adams Gold and others will play if the vehicle is in motion without issue.
    Can anyone share either a remedy or a similar experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Instant Karma

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I have the same issue in a 2014 system. The answer has to do with the disc encoding, not the car, and is more pronounced with Warner series discs.

They might have changed the software, because I have no problems with Fragile or Tommy.

McLover likes this.
  4. Instant Karma

Thanks for your reply. Tommy works fine for me and also Eagles Hotel California but not The Band Last Waltz or Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies . I kind of figured it must have something to do with the discs, but I can't determine what the ones that don't work have in common. Not the end of the world but a little frustrating. I may end up getting the Fragile Japanese SACD that has the same 5.1 Surround Sound as the DVD A and see if that works.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Save your money unless you have 5.1 playback at home. The B&O system doesn’t play the SACD layer.

6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I'm more interested in how you feel about the rest of your car. It is on my short list of new car purchases in the next few months.

7. Instant Karma

Yes I have 5.1 system at home so as I said it's not the end of the world. What I was considering was selling my DVD A's like Rumours and Fragile and replacing them with the SACD's with 5.1 capabilities. I didn't realize that the B&O system didn't play the SACD layers. Thanks for letting me know.

8. Instant Karma

Love the car. Got the S Line with the sport suspension. I've had Audi's for a while now. We have a Q5 and the A5 replaced an A4.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There are a ton of cheap, used concert videos on DVD-V, which has been the hidden benefit of the B&O system. Newer reissues with surround discs, such as the Moody Blues DOFP, sound great in the car, lossy or no lossy.

10. Instant Karma

I'll give them a try. Evidently there is a fail safe built in to the system that for safety reasons doesn't allow for video to operate while the car is in motion. I think this may be the issue with the DVD A's. Besides Moody Blues can you suggest a few others? Thanks very much.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The video doesn’t operate because it can cause the air bags to go off. :) The sound still plays though.

The DVD-A issue is separate, as I believe the system only plays the Video layer. The chapter to chapter encoding is the problem as far as I know.

12. Instant Karma

I've played a few DTS discs and they have worked just fine in surround. Have you tried any of those?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

^^ This is the issue.

You could rip the DVD-A and make a DRM-free DVD-V version, that will play just fine.

14. Instant Karma

Please excuse my ignorance but what is DRM and will it rip in 5.1 surround? Thanks

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve played the DTS layers off DVD-V’s. Not to be confused with the DTS CD’s that has a short life span during the last decade.

16. Instant Karma

They did have a short life span and a few are not that great like Santana Abraxas. However, Live At Fillmore by Allman Brothers, Poco Crazy Eyes, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Moody Blues DOFP and Seventh Sojourn, Stephen Stills, Steve Miller Fly Like an Eagle and Sting Nothing Like The Sun are pretty good in 5.1 and work in the Audi. I have a few others but can't remember them right now.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Digital rights management - Wikipedia

Yes you can rip/remove DRM and retain 5.1. Lots of threads in this forum with how-tos.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ll have to retry. They may have tweaked the software between then and now. My recollection is that the DTS discs didn’t play in my car (2014).

19. Instant Karma

20. Instant Karma

I just recently tried a few of the Elton John SACD's that are in Surround and Stereo and they definitely sounded like surround sound to me. Not sure if you are a fan but thought I'd let you know. The Genesis DTS play in surround as well.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The system will play a CD layer in surround, depending on your in car settings but I’d be surprised if it plays the SACD layer. I retried the DTS CD’s in my car and they did not work, but the system will play the DTS layer off a DVD. If you’re an EJ fan you should obtain the 2-DVD Elton at 60 set. The Genesis Movie Box shows also play well.

For other artists, try Frank Zappa’s The Torture Never Stops and Depeche Mode’s Live in Berlin. Beyond that I’m sure there are numerous threads on concert DVD’s. For me, purchasing them in the DVD format has been a money saver over blu ray, since I don’t have much time to watch them at home.

22. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, and not sure it's possible on the newer cars or not, but i've owned quite a few Audis, from an A4 up to my current S8+. I recall with my 2012 A6 I was able to use the vag-com software (my mechanic did actaully) and he was able to enable DVD in motion - meaning you can actually watch DVDs while driving (not recommended obviously). You can also change a number of other things, like speedometer needle sweep upon startup - it's kind of cool looking. And you can change the massage seat functions to last longer, steering wheel to get warmer than stock, etc. I would check it out on the Audi Forums. this might help too... AudiEnthusiasts Master.

Maybe this thread as well... 2015 Audi Q5 2.0. How do modify to be able to watch movies while driving

23. Instant Karma

Sorry about the DTS discs. I just played Stills DTS and Poco Crazy Eyes DTS and they played fine. Also the Talking Heads Dual Disc Little Creatures played on the DVD A side. I will look into the Elton at 60 set .. Thanks very much

24. Instant Karma

Enabling the DVD in motion would probably solve the problem I have with some DVD-A discs. I'm assuming your mechanic is not an Audi dealer, correct?

McGuy likes this.
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I heard that doing this causes the airbags to deploy. :doh:

Not that CarPlay is any less of a distraction.

McGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.