Class-D Integrated Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riddlemay, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two factors are making me consider this category of integrated amp. One is that I'd like a generous amount of power. The other is that I'm old! Why does that come into consideration? Because I can no longer lift heavy things without risk to my back. Any amp I get must be of a manageable weight, because occasions will arise when I need to put it in place, remove it, put it somewhere else, etc.

My understanding is that Class-D integrateds can deliver substantial power while being relatively light in weight. Does anyone know of some good ones?

2. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

I like Class D amps. I'm using a cheap one and I prefer it from my previous (also cheap) Class AB amp. Not because it's superior in sound, because you can never have too much power. Check these brands and any other that makes Hypex based amps. ICE based are also good.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/
    https://www.apollonaudio.com/

Shiver and riddlemay like this.
  3. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I can heartily recommend the Marantz PM-10S1. Great sound although it might be too heavy for you to handle.

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

For integrated amps, Not knowing what you mean by generous power, the PSAudio Sprout 100 is getting rave reviews everywhere. 100 watts a side. IcePower module, subwoofer out and a DAC. Small form factor.

Review: PS Audio Sprout 100 DAC/Integrated Amplifier | Part-Time Audiophile

The Nuprime IDA-8 100 watts, also well reviewed and popular.

NuPrime IDA-8 Integrated Amplifier

Wyred4sound Mint

mINT

5. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

ds58 likes this.
  6. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Check out the Rogue Sphinx. It's a hybrid (tube preamp part). I bought one last Fall and I'm happy w/it.

No Static, Tim Irvine and 500Homeruns like this.
  7. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

How about separates? You could get a nice little Class D stereo power amp, and then have a host of options for the preamp.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

The new Marantz PM KI Ruby Integrated is allegedly pretty good, though not exactly a lightweight.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Just got a custom D class Integrated for the same reason of finding the tube amp is just too heavy for me and a single lightweight box being convenient.

Runs about the same rated output as my SS but weighs a lot less. Doesn’t actually seem to have as much grunt but has supreme clarity.

I'm thinking separate pre/power might be a better idea. Two lightweight boxes are still manageable but allows customising the input more.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If cheap is a requirement Parts Express has some you might want to look at. No idea about quality though.

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I like my Sphinx. It has a sweet, smooth sound. It is now in my office system. Not thrilled with its phono stage though, if that is important to you.

Tim Irvine and displayname like this.
  12. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I briefly auditioned a Peachtree Nova integrated amp and was very impressed with it. That might be an option worth considering if you're set on getting an integrated.

smith6552 and SWD like this.
  13. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

I use a Wyred4Sound STI-500 to drive by Harbeths and have been extremely happy with the sound. The class D design allows me to keep it running 24/7, which is useful because the system serves double-duty for music and tv.

macster, sound chaser and Bill Mac like this.
  14. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Shiver likes this.
  15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

PS Audio Stellar series gets pretty consistent positive reviews, and their separates only weigh in at 13lbs each. Obviously mono blocks + the preamp weigh in at almost 40lbs together, but you can move them one by one easily. And with the mono blocks you should be able to power anything.

SirMarc, PopularChuck and avanti1960 like this.
  16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I have a Rogue Sphinx. It is fairly basic but runs cool, sounds good, and isn’t heavy. I like the phono stage just fine with my Ortofon 2m bronze, but my ears are 70 years old.
    ;0)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Dragon, bhazen, scobb and 4 others like this.
  18. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I have a Rogue Sphinx in one system and a Peachtree Nova 150 in another. I can recommend checking out both.

BayouTiger and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I have a Peachtree Nova65. Not sure what you mean about light weight, but this thing is about 20 lbs.

I think the Rogue Sphinx that many are recommending here sounds better than my Peachtree.

I have never done weight comparisons, but most of these amps weigh about the same.

I moved on to Raven tube integrated from the Peachtree.

Consider the Parasound integrated, its not class D, but an nice Class AB integrated worth considering.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  20. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

The nova150 is Class D and weighs 15 lbs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Right, meant to say 20 lbs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. That's the one I'm saving for! :)

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Both have a MM phone input, but the Sphinx will also do MC.

An important thing to remember is that the Sphinx is a pretty standard integrated amp, with all analog inputs.

The Peachtree Nova150 is a lot more. It has both digital and analog inputs and has a top of the line DAC. The digital inputs include a USB and an iOS input for Apple lightning devices.

That is a lot of integrated amplifier for $1,499, which is the current advertised price.

I own both Peachtree and Rogue equipment.

24. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What price point are you looking for?

macster likes this.
  25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Another nod to the Rogue Sphinx which I've had for about a year now. It's "relatively" light, simple to use and not only well built but feels that way.

efraley and No Static like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.