Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Bass is a blessing with vinyl. In many systems that aspect lags behind digital. Much of that has to do with synergy between cartridge and phono preamp. If you use your turntable as a primary source and would like to optimize bass for that, then I'd take a look at your speaker positions and get them just a bit further from the corners or rear wall.
    -Bill

TheeGory likes this.
  2. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Yeah it may have to come to that. They are monsters. I’m currently running a pair of Totem Hawks. They are driven by a Quad 606 amp and a Croft Micro 25 preamp. I found mass loading them really reduced the air and presence.

You are right about the vinyl and bass. Perhaps it’s time to look at another amp upgrade? I mean, the 606 is a monster for power but it’s definitively not a PRAT machine. The Croft on the other hand.... wow!

3. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Removed the layer and levelled on all sides and much better!! Also tightened the bolts a little more on my speakers and bass control was exceptional.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Nice to be reminded of all the good people the internet actually has :)

KT88 and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Hey guys, I just placed an order for a P6 new with the Ania cart. I was planning on setting the TT on a hard oak dresser until I read some things suggesting that was a bad idea with the lightweight plinth design. So, bamboo chopping block on top of sorbothene pads on top of the dresser? Am I on the right track here? Its for a bedroom setup, although it could end up in my main system on my Project wall mount, if it sounds better than my VN Thorens.

Any suggestions for isolation on the P6?

james likes this.
  5. What did you read about the lightweight plynth being a problem? It's not just a cheap slab.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

I tried putting my RP8 on that large bamboo chopping block from IKEA with some sorbothene pads underneath - it sounded awful.
    It completely sucked out all dynamics from the sound, just like if you added a compressor.
    Everything was played at the same volume so to speak...no loud passages, no quieter passages, everything was just "the same" volume-wise.

If you can, get the Rega RWB 2016 wall-mount. It made a world of difference here at my place compared to what I used before (an IKEA Lack coffee table, which btw. is not a bad thing to place a Rega TT on at all). With the Rega wall-mount there is much more calmness to the music coming from the TT. A bit hard to describe!

If you can't wall-mount, get one of those IKEA Lack coffee tables.

I experimented with various placements and it's very audible what works and what doesn't.

7. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

What he means, as I read it, is that putting a Rega TT with it's lightweight construction onto a heavy piece of furniture is not optimal, and that it would be better placing the TT on something lightweight because this corresponds with Rega's philosophy of keeping everything as lightweight as possible

HiFi Guy and Bananas&blow like this.
  8. Dust cover up, down, or removed?

9. Bananas&blow

Yes this is what I meant. It seems some energy or vibration is designed to be dissipated a certain way. So the surface the P6 is placed on, can have an effect on the sound. I'd like my new toy to sound as good as possible.

HBJ likes this.
  10. Well I have my RP8 on this. No issues whatsoever. I’d say try it first. Your mileage may vary. [​IMG]

Eigenvector, Echoes Myron and HBJ like this.
  11. Totally removed.

12. Bananas&blow

I would like to start a movement where in the future we call this topless. "I play my TT topless". "Mine looks and sounds better topless". You get the idea.

Twinsfan007 and Mazzy like this.
  13. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

It was down. I have a pet, so that's mandatory :)

14. Bananas&blow

That's a good idea. I was kind of hoping to obsess over it for hours for a minute difference.

15. I’m not a perfect perfect ideal room person. I like to enjoy music where I live most of the time and entertain. I love to share the experience in addition to solo sessions.

And I’m superficial so visual esthetics are also important to me. . :tiphat:

cut-out and Eigenvector like this.
  16. Bananas&blow

Hey I think we all want a sexy looking topless system in our homes. Nothing wrong with the aesthetic value of a component. I think most of us value that more than we admit.

17. Bananas&blow

I just got that live anthology and the American Treasure vinyl book, amazing sets. As good as they come!

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Here is a pic of where I was planning on using my P6, replacing the vintage Yamaha TT I have now. I could get a wall mount but I've already put a lot of holes in my apartment walls. And I'm not sure how much longer I will live here. I am more concerned with the sound than isolation from footfalls. Any other suggestions for sound improvement from the lightweight Regas?

[​IMG]

19. My first objective would be more speaker separation...

HBJ and Bananas&blow like this.
  20. You don't think that could be an issue?

21. Bananas&blow

Done I was able to get the speakers 9 inches from the dresser. They were about 4 inches before. Its a 12X12 room so listening volume is never very high, which I would think would reduce vibrations from the speakers to the dresser surface.

22. Is this mentioned in the user manual? Sadly, my P6 I purchased in November didn't not have a manual in the box and my dealer is yet to present one to me.

23. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

TBH I never thought of checking the sound with the dust cover up or removed. I'm so used to having to use it. Maybe it had changed the sound.

24. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Not sure, but Rega states it a lot in their marketing, for example for the new Planar 8. "We reduced the weight so-and-so much" they've said in interviews. I remember reading the same thing in their description of their 2016 wall-mount; that they'd manage to reduce the weight of it.

Also check this:
    lightweight rega philosophy - Google Search

25. Bananas&blow

You can download it from Rega's website. I read it today. It's 6 pages. I didn't seen anything about platform or isolation recommendations that I could find.

violetvinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.