Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. carlsongw

carlsongw Forum Resident

I've been using the wooden containers that Bookers bourbon comes in, the sides are grooved and a plexiglass lid slides in the grooves. A little wider than a disc without a case, but a decent fit for discs in cases. Unfortunately, it's a very expensive solution unless you like to drink Bookers!

rockindownthehighway likes this.
  2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

WalMart stores sell those black aluminum-cornered suitcases and hinged boxes in a variety of sizes. I have a couple of cherry wood wall mounted racks but I’ve outgrown them and have all my multi-disc sets in five-disc flip-top boxes that used to come with the Sony Color Collection discs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

That's all well and good if you live in a country where people know what WalMart is! ;)

adriatikfan likes this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Good point! Sorry about that. (You’re not missing much, believe me....)

5. rockindownthehighway

Who knows, maybe you can make a business reselling cases from WalMart to those of us in disadvantaged, WalMart-free zones ;)

6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I don't find the price of blanks even NOS blanks that prohibitive so long as you avoid the sharks and that species that sees them a rare collectable prepared to pay over GBP £7 per disc for a regular TDK or Sony. I've been redoing some Karajan Tchaikovsky discs as Atrac is suprisingly good on classical program.

7. rockindownthehighway

From the bay, it looks like if you live in the UK you can still get them for £2.5 per piece delivered. In the EU but outside the UK the average is closer to £4 a piece. It makes a big difference. I got a big lot recently for around £3 but I still paid a mint getting enough of a supply.

8. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I always buy mine in lots from the UK - I don't bother with sealed, and if you wait long enough can get them for as low GBP 1.00 per disc if you take a big lot.

From the 400 or so I've bought, have had a to toss maybe 4-5 that had TOC issues or bent disc guards. Pretty good going.

9. rockindownthehighway

I'll be damned, I'm paying top dollar for Booker's over here and we don't even get the wood case. Talk about adding insult to injury! The 127+ proof kills some of the pain, however :p

10. carlsongw

carlsongw Forum Resident

Agreed, 127+ proof cures all ills! Top dollar here too, as much as I like it, I don't buy it often.

rockindownthehighway likes this.
  11. patientenkollektiv

patientenkollektiv Forum Resident

Well, a few months of playing with this (and the two portable players I was also gifted) have seen me fall in love with this format. Awesome to have a portable music player that will run for hours and hours on one AA battery and I love the way music sounds on it! The DHC-MD373 sounds beautiful and is so well-made.

I used the DHC-MD373 to make five minidiscs to really test the format out. An REO Speedwagon compilation compiled from various records and CDs, a recording of this Steeleye Span concert ripped direct from YouTube, a Pierre Moerlen's Gong live album synced from the CD, Uriah Heep's 'Salisbury' album recorded from vinyl and Beethoven's fifth symphony from a Deutsche Grammophon cassette. All sound brilliant. No complaints. An amazing format that I'll be using a lot in the future.

12. rockindownthehighway

That's a great little stereo! As part as portables, yeah it's amazing how well they work on one AA battery.

13. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I have never been able to figure out the one battery thing. There’s a lot going on in there.

14. rockindownthehighway

There sure is. ADC, DAC, motorized transport, disc burner, etc. Yet many hours of recording and several days worth of playback. No wonder the format died. It was just too green for its time :p

ShallowMemory, Bhob and adriatikfan like this.
  15. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Is there a good market for Minidisc hardware and discs?
    What would be the best place to advertise?
    I have 2 Sony decks (a 510 and 930) and 2 sony portable recorders. (I forget the model numbers).
    I probably have 200 or so regular discs and 40 or 50 HiMD discs and storage boxes and binders.

I really enjoyed them for many years and it was fun sneaking the portables into concerts for recording.
    I have hung on to them but haven't used them for many years now and doubt that I will use them again.

16. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Ebay was good for me when I finally let my JB920s go a few years back.

Guitarded likes this.
  17. rockindownthehighway

Probably a good way would be try to sell them in the classifieds here so at least you know they are going to a good home.

HiMD discs are going for huge money right now. You could probably make more on them than some pieces of hardware.

jeffsab and PhilBiker like this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

How huge is huge for Hi-MD's? I have a bunch that I've yet to record.

19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Me-eee ship has come in....! :wiggle: .....if I wanted to sell mine. I'm sure I have 20 or more. I think that I only made one Hi-MD this past year. I'm at least tempted to sell 10 of 'em.....possibly.....??? I stocked up on 'em years ago when I bought a pair of Onkyo 133 home decks. I'm gonna do a count. 10 of 'em might pay for the Panasonic UHD-BD player I covet....

21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Nice decks. I have a couple portables and one 930 left... its not even plugged in I just loved that format so much I can't let it go :(

Lot of good memories...

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. ShallowMemory

I *may* be seeing a recently serviced home deck back in the rack:shh:
    Just party like it's 1997 all over again :D

23. ShallowMemory

[​IMG]
    I'm back in the home game now with a recently fully serviced with new eject belt MDS-JB 940QS featuring Atrac type-R for SP/Mono in silver that arrived a quarter of an hour ago.
    I only have a handful of legacy LP2 discs as I found SP was that much better apart from being compatible with my original MZ-E-20 player I bought in early 1998 that still works a treat.
    Plumbed into the amazing re-capped Rotel RA820B for analogue recording and replay while being fed for digital copy duties via a Fisual co-axial cable from my Marantz SA7003 sacd player.
    The mechanism sounds as smooth as butter inserting discs!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  24. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Very nice!

25. Vetiver

Vetiver Forum Resident

Cool! Where did you get it serviced?