Cartridge mate for Clearaudio Ovation with Tracer arm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ecjjr, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all.
    I am currently using a Dynavector XV-1S which has served me well but is nearing the end of its life without a rebuild. My system includes Sim Audio Moon phono stage 610 , preamp 740 and amp 860 and Wilson Sabrinas. My dealer has urged me to try Koetsu Rosewood or one of its kin. He has also mentioned the AMG Teatro and Benz.
    In the past I have run the Linn Troika, Benz Ruby and Dynavector Tei Kaitora (sic?)but on an LP 12/Ekos that was replaced by the Ovation. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm in a similar situation...

I have an Ovation with the Universal arm. I currently use the Clearaudio Concerto V2. Later this year I am upgrading the cartridge. I wanted to audition a Benz Gullwing SLR but that isn't possible now. I am probably going to use my Clearaudio re-tip credit and step up to a Stradivari, but am still considering options.

Ecjjr likes this.
  3. Ecjjr

Thank you. Have you heard the Stradivari?

4. Ecjjr

I ask because it was suggested to me that the Clearaudio cartridges may bea little bright for my system.

5. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I have the Tracer tonearm on my Clearaudio Innovation compact. Right now I'm using a koetsu rosewood, but I would really love to try the Clearaudio Da Vinci V2. That's my plan for later this year.
    The koetsu sounds wonderful, but I think there is even better sound to be had.

Ecjjr likes this.
  6. Ecjjr

Have you heard the Stradivari? It was suggested to me that the Clearaudio cartridges may be a little bright for my system, despite being the same brans as the TT and arm.

7. Ecjjr

Thank you.

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

On the Satisfy Kardan and the Tracer tonearms, I’ve heard the Koetsu Urushi Black, Ortofon A95, Zyx Omega and an Ortofon Windfield PW Ti . I liked the A95 best. On the Tracer arm I thought it was one of the most complete sounding combinations I’ve heard in many years - endlessly interesting. I’ve heard the Koetsu Rosewood on several different tonearms, but not on a Clearaudio model. The Tracer is a superb arm.

Ecjjr and Josquin des Prez like this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

I have not heard it. I expect it will be better for everything I like about the Concerto, which is dynamic, neutral in presentation, detailed and smooth in the upper registers. I'd bet your Simaudio Moon gear will have a similar presentation to my Naim, although I am unfamiliar with your speakers (I have Dynaudio + REL subs). I do not consider the Concerto to be overly bright, but it needs good gear to really bring it out.

I would like to hear other things. I might try to audition a Te Kaitora Rua. I heard the Benz Gullwing SLR is fantastic but they aren't available. Even the website is offline now.

Ecjjr likes this.
  10. Ecjjr

Thank you

11. Ecjjr

And thank you . I liked the Te Kaitora

12. Josquin des Prez

What did you like about it? How would you describe it's character? Anything you didn't like.

FWIW: I listen almost exclusively to acoustic classical (all periods) and jazz.

Ecjjr likes this.
  13. Ecjjr

May I ask you another question? I see you are using the Clearaudio Outer Limit Ring. I purchased One a week ago and noticed that my Ovation has a low level buzz when I use it like it is taxing the motor. It doesn’t seem to affect the sound but it is concerning. I have a call into my dealer but wondered if you have run into this issue.

14. Ecjjr

i liked the detail and resolution a lot. It was musical without being overly bright. It was fun. I ran it on a Linn lp12 which I think complemented it well. I could see though that if matched with very analytical equipment it might be too bright on the high end. And I listen to a lot of jazz(50’s/60’s)and classical.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Josquin des Prez likes this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

I have no issues whatsoever. In fact I love it and use it with every record I play. In addition, I changed from the Quadro 300 gr record clamp to a HRS 850gr record clamp and have no motor issues at all. I stop the platter when I change records and it comes to speed very, very quickly.

Yeah. you should definitely have you dealer look into it. Musical Surroundings provides world class support, if you haven't experienced that already.

Ecjjr likes this.
  16. Ecjjr

Thanks

17. Josquin des Prez

OK. Other than your speakers – which I have never heard (but they retail for pretty much exactly the same as mine) – I would say we have similar systems and we have similar music tastes, so I would like to follow your journey to a new cartridge and see where you fall.

Ecjjr likes this.
  18. Ecjjr

I will.

19. Ecjjr

What did you think of the Rosewood?

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Ovation with the Magnify tonearm and I have tried various cartridges but the ones that I have found to be best are the Ortofon Cadenza Black and the Kortsu Rosewood Signature.

Ecjjr likes this.
  21. Eaglesfan9

Eaglesfan9 Forum Resident

Maybe under the level of cartridge that you are thinking about but I replaced a Koetsu black with a Hana ML and have been pleased with the result. The Hana does voices (the Koetsu strongpoint) as well as the black and is better just about everything else. Of course the black is the bottom of the line but just wanted to share my experience.
    Good luck with your search for the right option.

Ecjjr likes this.
  22. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

The rosewood is very good cartridge. It's a sweet sounding sound that is much quieter than my dynavector was. The odd thing is, on paper it's not a great compliance match. Koetsu likes high mass tonearms from everything I've read and the carbon fiber tracer is probably about 9 grams of mass. Low mass in other words. But it sounds good to me and everyone whose ever listened to my set up. The proof is in the ears that hear, not a complainer calculator.

Ecjjr likes this.
  23. Ecjjr

My dealer is letting me try a new Rosewood Signature. I should have it Wednesday. Obviously, i’ll Need to break it in. I will report back.
    As to the Outer limit ring, I am getting stronger magnets fron Clearaudio which they have said will solve the problem.

24. Josquin des Prez

I have an update on my search. Last week my dealer took in on trade a gently used DV XV-1s he sold last summer (the customer got a Goldfinger Statement). I've been playing it since last Friday and love what I hear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. The previous customer only had a couple hundred hours on it (if even that) and the dealer made a very generous offer to me..

[​IMG]

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Congrats, I have the Dynavector XV1t, these are really amazing sounding cartridges. Be careful with the cantilever though!

Josquin des Prez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.