Mick Taylor: (non Stones) Musical highlights & recommendations discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by All Down The Line, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

This covers solo, group & session work, studio & live, full lp's and/or individual songs, unofficial recordings and even Stones numbers Mick played with other artists!

I hope members that also love his tone, lyricism & mastery like myself, will enjoy contributing & discussing his career!

2. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

He's great on Bob Dylan's Real Live album, and he's a good foil to Knopfler's JJ Cale influenced picking on Infidels, also by Bob Dylan.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

I have always been surprised that Mick’s self titled debut album from 1979 is so underrated and not particularly well known.

I bought it in late 87' and found the songs, vocals and playing to be excellent and very enjoyable.
    The standout for me is the instrumental two part finale of Spanish/A Minor that closes the record.

The piece has a minor key feel and Mick often plays extended lyrical lines outside of the pentatonic blues scale ala Time Waits For No One.
    There is tasty Spanish styled acoustic guitar as well in this very succesful fusion styled piece.

I feel Mick could have perhaps recorded a very solid instrumental album though a combination of the record company's projected sales and the post punk era would not have been too accommodating.
    If only (the debut) it perhaps had come out a few years earlier............?

4. All Down The Line

Absolutely correct and it was from the Infidels sessions also that Mick took Bob's mighty Blind Willie McTell & did it proud on his late 90's "A Stones Throw" studio album, adding slashing lead work.

N.b. Who played the great solo on "Sweetheart Like You" from Infidels?

5. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

6. All Down The Line

Interesting 68' Mayall LP with a long song suite but mostly for Taylor's playing.
    "I Started Walking" is particularly intense though live on the Primal Solos LP it absolutely shows Mick’s great creative depth when constructing a solo and the fire of a serious gunslinger.
    I don't think the Stones ever wanted Mick to get this wild with feedback and elongated experimention!

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Have really enjoyed seeing youtube clips of Taylor playing with Carla Olson. I see there was a live album recorded as well.

8. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I think his debut is absolutely perfect and I play it on a regular basis. The description in post #3 describes it well.

Another recommendation would be Stranger In This Town, which is a very solid blues album. It was criminally ignored when it was released, and I think has become OOP in the meantime.

Unfortunately, the rest of his output (I have still not heard everything to be fair) does not match these two albums. The bottom of the barrel for me is the live album Little Red Rooster from 2001. Boring is still a friendly description for it. I remember seeing him live on the tour on which this concert was recorded and people left in droves after some tunes.

Good idea for a thread BTW.

9. All Down The Line

Yes and it was also reissued much later as a double CD with various studio cuts Mick did with Carla for several albums.
    Sadly neither are cheap or always simple to find for collectors.

blutiga likes this.
  10. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

“Lucky” by The Golden Palominos from their album ‘A Dead Horse’

vcpj and All Down The Line like this.
  11. All Down The Line

Agree with most of the post but disagree about The "Red Rooster" CD.
    Even if Redding misses some changes and the Quo drummer is merely adequate Mick lifts proceedings with some fine soloing.

12. All Down The Line

Can you pleare post this?

13. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

vcpj and Bruso like this.
  14. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

Mick Taylor performed some of my favorite contributions to others’ sessions and bands over the years. He is a great listener and very tuned in to his musical context. I particularly enjoyed his playing on John Mayall’s Back To The Roots
    recorded early in his Stones career and released just prior to Sticky Fingers. His brief return shows he and John had lost none of their chemistry from his days as a band member.

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

That live album - Too Hot for Snakes - is excellent.

boboquisp, MikeP5877, Bruso and 2 others like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Great choice and many thanks for reminding me!
    Mayall put much of this out on CD In 88' having redone vocals and drums under the title "Archives To Eighties"

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

His self-tiltled solo album is great. Produced by Lowell George who also guests on a song.

18. All Down The Line

Excellent......you may "Sway" some doubters with that.
    The double CD actually has Mick play on a studio cut of the Stones Ron Wood era tune "I think i'm going mad!"

blutiga likes this.
  19. JackS

JackS Then Play On

[​IMG]

That morning cup of coffee and Mick Taylor rolling through "Secret Affair"....a good day is set up !

Bruso and All Down The Line like this.
  20. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Mick plays the (beautiful) solo on "Sweetheart Like You" on Infidels. His first solo LP is terrific, especially "Leather Jacket"! He also is the lead guitarist on Joe Henry's album "Murder Of Crows" from 1986. His playing with Carla Olson is a treat... check out the song "Within An Ace", he just rips all over that one with aching blues scales.

Paul Gase, willy, crozcat and 2 others like this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Is "Turns To Gold" Taylor's song?

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

I have a live "Red House" (don't know the origin of,) that is awesome.

All Down The Line likes this.
  23. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

ellliott murphy - rock ballad- the album version is with mick taylor -- haven't found original version on the tube, but i think you can hear the stones influence

24. All Down The Line

I have it but don't think it is his song and it was credited to Dead Amanda.

25. All Down The Line

What is the duration and source?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.