Looking for a vintage (japanese) direct drive

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

I said 80-90%, but likely it's more like 85-95%, the headshell weight can usually just be directly added to the bare arm effective mass, we're not really making a high precision calculation. And like I said, the cartridge weight is directly added as I showed with the VE example, so yes, I do disagree with your post :)

2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

I thought about that. I can always dust off on the TD160 sitting next to it :D. No seriously, I don't think it will be a problem. I only play full album sides and I only play records that are properly cleaned on an RCM, so I don't always use a carbon fibre brush before every play.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Didn't realize there was a THE Vinyl Addict here as well. I got the "@", but it was meant for the vinyl addict haha. Glad he was on the ball!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    patient_ot and TheVinylAddict like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Fair enough.... I have seen information online to support both our arguments --- as usual there is heated debate and hard to find consensus or the "golden" answer, but from my research I walked away with much less than that. :)

But that's the beauty of this audio hobby.... this wouldn't be the first time people have disagreed with interpretations of how measurements are calculated.

I can live with that!!!:righton:

What is an interesting artifact to what we are discussing --- how many times do you see posts all over the net where folks are advised to "add a couple grams to the headshell, like a weight, to get that up to compliance matching / resonance "green zone" spec" When in reality, if you use the formula / calcs --- adding a gram or two weight to the headshell actually does very little to the resultant resonant frequency output!!! It takes a significant change to get a 1Hz difference in the output for instance, many grams depending on the calc.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    bever70 likes this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

Haha --- Don't you recall, we covered this a year ago!!! LOL

I originally came on the board as "VinylAddict" and after you informed me, I changed to TheVinylAddict!!!!! You are responsible for the THE! (like THE Ohio State Univ)

Cheers! All in good fun! BTW, great rec on the deerhide TT mat...

6. TheVinylAddict

@bever70 - over and out, I've hyper-posted enough on this thread :) ---- all the best, I am certain we'll cross paths moving forward, as long as you don't buy your TT and disappear from the board! (which many do)

I've enjoyed your enthusiasm, posts.... it's refreshing and made me think about when I started!!

bever70 likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Haha yes, I do remember now. How did the system let you sign up with the same name.

8. TheVinylAddict

Well, technically, you had a space between Vinyl and Addict, when I signed up it was without the space. So that is why it was allowed.... at the bit and byte level, our names WERE different you see...

And being new to the board, there was no warning when I chose the name, no indicator that "Hey - FYI - there's this other guy with a name fairly close -- do you want to continue?" type dialog box :)

Anywho...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. bever70

Thanks once again for your appreciated advice, but I may need your advice again if I don't get any of these 2 tables for whatever reason so don't stroll too far off ;-) !
    I have been here for a few months now and am still learning and enjoying things around here so I will be probably be around for quite a while.

Davey and TheVinylAddict like this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

Absolutely! As you've discovered, I don't mind sharing what I've learned ---- right or wrong!!! :)

Stay humble, and may the TT karma gods shine on you!!! On that note, my KP-1100 (the mint NIB one I found that popped up and I linked to the other day) is already in the states, already departed the US hub en route via DHL, and outside chance it could be delivered today!! (DHL can be lightning fast at times on international --- EMS used to be but these days there can be 3-4 days now in Los Angeles port --- so the US side is the bottleneck, not Japan).

Cheers bud.

bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  11. bever70

Enjoy the Trio! And feel free to post a photo here when you unpack it :thumbsup:.

TheVinylAddict and patient_ot like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

I will!!! I'll make a point of it...

BTW, I am taking a break on TT's purchases for a while :) --- now that doesn't mean I won't jump on something that pops up that might be a rare NIB, or one that is a smokin' deal ---- realize some day people here and other places are going to benefit from all these TT's I've bought stateside. I am NOT going to keep them ALL forever --- and even the one's that might not make my final cut will STILL be darned good! I've had a lot of luck on TT's from Japan (knock on wood)....

I told a few people in the past, getting these great Japanese DD's stateside is half the battle, we missed SO MANY great ones in the early 80's when many audiophiles decided that DD's weren't audiophile-worthy!

Anyway, I am moving on to preamps... I've been studying / researching some vintage and new ones.... Accuphase, Conrad Johnson, Yamaha... I am getting to the point now I can spout off resources / info on vintage preamps (mostly SS ones so far) like I am doing with TT's. But, tubes are creeping in.... @Davey has me convinced I need a Conrad Johnson complement in my system....LOL He might be right.

nosliw and bever70 like this.
  13. karma67

karma67 Forum Resident

how about a sony tts-8000 or pioneer plc-590?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JMAC, nosliw, Wasabi and 3 others like this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

What an interesting choice!
    TTS-8000+AT-1501/2 SONY - HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase
    TTS-8000 SONY - HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase
    TTS-8000+TB-2000 SONY - HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

I posted three links because just look at the versatility.... this one caught my attention, I am going to read up and get more familiar with this.... it's escaped my radar / net over the last couple of years!

karma67 likes this.
  15. karma67

karma67 Forum Resident

nosliw, TheVinylAddict and bever70 like this.
  16. bever70

Tell me more about that 'golden' platter. Is that a mod or add-on ?

17. TheVinylAddict

Well, it's here!!! (the KP-1100). It arrived on a rocket ship, it left the seller in Tokyo on Tue night our time, and it got here an hour ago!!

Oh my goodness, did I score.... this thing is how it was when it left the factory. It has never been set up an used, the Dustcover is in immaculate / perfect condition, still in its ORIGINAL wrap. The platter doesn't even have fingerprints. The cords are still factory twisted tied.

I have yet to assemble and set it up, but snapping pics along the way starting with the unpack.

This one deserves it own thread. My goodness did I score. I have been trying to find a mint KP-1100 or 9010 for years.... here it is! Fingers crossed everything is OK.. sometimes its worse to have an electronic item sit unused this long versus being played. I am going to bring her up slowly with the variac!

SCORE!

EDIT:::: see Bever 70, I can still get excited over TT #17!!!

timind, nosliw, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Not more expensive on ebay for a long time.

19. TheVinylAddict

Data? Links?

20. karma67

karma67 Forum Resident

its a tenuto ,5mm gun metal sold by puresound here in the uk.
    it adds damping and with that a touch more clarity. :)

[​IMG]

bever70 and nosliw like this.
  21. bever70

Some pics of the A7 (light was not very good so colour of the walnut veneer is a bit different in real life) today :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has used a mat finish on the wood but if I decide to buy it he will change it to a satin finish which I prefer. It runs dead quiet, put my ear on the table and couldn't hear a thing. The arm is supposed to lower gently, even if you put the lever down quickly but this was not the case so he will see to that also and fill up with oil.
    It played faultless, but had a pretty basic cart and the rest of the equipment used (not to mention the sound of the hollow sounding garage/shop) was not of a quality that I could say something about the sound quality.
    4 months guarantee is included. The arm has the usual droop at the back but it's lightly and perfectly acceptable (my TD125mk2 is a lot worse).
    As for the vibrating underside/plinth, This one is partially open (where the engine sits in the middle) and only has the side of the tonearm closed off with a flappy mdf board which is a good thing . Dampening, if needed, would be easy. Feet were also in good condition.

22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I am not going to post a dozen links here, Go to ebay yourself and look at completed items.

23. bever70

He had quite a bit on display :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He actually had a Micro Seiki DD40 in, but original veneer was not the best so he would need to re do it. Price would also be a lot steeper than the jvc (+ $400) and it had no original hood (though he would provide a new alternative). That model sits very high on it's feet though, it looks superb from above but not so much when viewed from the front imho.
    I also had a short listen to the Tannoy Westfields (with optional tweeters), impressive but not my kind of sound.

24. TheVinylAddict

I did. It's not there and why I asked. Not sure where you got your data. I've been watching / buying TT's for years, and never equated or saw on average the JVC sell for half the Yamaha. So if you have something to back that up I am all ears! Why the sudden concern for storage / disc space too, I bet the Hoffman site could handle the burden of a couple of more links! :)

Meanwhile, I'll stick with the data I provided from probably the best source for used Japanese TT relative pricing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    bever70 likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

Very cool! You move fast, I wish I was as decisive! Looks like a nice one.... enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.