Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Still on the fence, but I might order a used/like new box set, as well. How can we know if it's counterfeit?

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

With the bowie ones it's easy: The fake cds are silver, the real ones are gold.

With the Dylan ones, I don't know. I guess it's a matter of the print quality of the cd covers, build quality of the books/booklets.

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

My take is that as relatively inexpensive as this set was even the official version, a counterfeit version would have to cut a lot of corners for it to make sense. (You don’t find a lot of counterfeit one dollar bills) But as stated above they apparently do exist. I just think I should be able to tell considering all that it comes with, and if it is back it goes.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As I mentioned earlier, I've seen a Dylan one. The most obvious tell-tale sign were the discs themselves. They had a very rough finish around the edges, and the playing surface wasn't entirely smooth. Honestly,they looked like they'd been pressed on a bunch of reject disc stock.

The other way was the covers. They were not the same quality - for example some had a faded look - but worse, because they'd used slightly thinner card stock, the entire things didn't fill the box. I'd say a fifth of the box was empty, although everything was there.

Still, to know either of those you've got to have the thing in front of you, and open. So, buyer beware.

MGSeveral likes this.
  5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I got my “used like new “ version from Amazon it is surely is genuine. The only thing wrong with it is a slight crack on one of the corners of the lid so I am happy.

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I imagine everyone has moved on from this thread, but for those who haven't seen the Mickey Jones Home Movies DVD I came across this the other day. It seems to be the full 96 minute main feature:-

Bob Dylan 1966 World Tour: The Home Movies

As discussed two or more years ago on this very thread much of the film is padding but, since the release of The 1966 Live Recordings box, I think it perhaps holds a little more interest than when it was first released in 2002. The updated, expanded DVD is worth buying for the "New Features" alone, I think, and is available at the usual "used" outlets for minimal outlay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#

7. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Don't have time to review all 278 pages so could anyone say what the broad consensus is on the best 5 recordings from the 36 CDs are?

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gonna get this definitely. Historical and a fascinating look back 1966.

9. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

It’s interesting, I am a big Bob Dylan fan, 1965-1966 is my favorite period, this box is amazing to have, yet I don’t really go back to it.

Honest, I am bored to tears after the 25th performance of basically the same set night after night. When I crave 1966 live Bob, I reach for BS4 and have done with it

I feel kind of similarly to all the “complete” BS releases since the basement tapes. They are all great, and it’s nice to have every session, etc, but I kind of liked the format of the older BS compilations better. For example, Tell Tale Signs or the love 1964, 1966, 1975 sets

L.P., Sean Murdock and timnor like this.
  10. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Every concert from Dublin to the end is worth owning. Off the top of my head: all of Belfast, Cardiff electric set, Sheffield acoustic set, all of Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and both London shows are the standouts. My favourite recordings include the Belfast Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Glasgow Like A Rolling Stone. Newcastle Ballad Of A Thin Man, Cardiff I Don't Believe You; Liverpool Desolation Row, Sheffield Mr Tambourine Man, nothing less than both London shows in their entirety. I can't think of a live album that is as good as the first Albert Hall show, which is available individually.

11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Newcastle, then. Will have to break it out of its shrinkwrap...

12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Well, that’s what I call really lazy. ;)

notesfrom and Kiss73 like this.
  13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Never managed to make it through the Cutting Edge box. Just finished More Blood More Tracks box set but doubt I will ever listen to it again in its entirety.

L.P. and Kiss73 like this.
  14. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

And another. I lent More Blood to a friend and advised to be careful with all of the Buckets Of Rain. It's definitely something that can work better (at least for me) ripped to a drive and using playlists.

I still have 9 or so of '66 live shows I haven't listened to, although that includes a couple of the partial AUDs and perhaps a soundboard that I already had. But I'm fine with that and would rather space them out than take the academic approach (which more power to those who enjoy that kind of thing). I still find the '66 live to be an incredible value as illustrated by Somebody Naked's post above and others in this long thread.

I take the long view with these boxes and try not to play them too much after getting them. But I'm also coming to the conclusion that often I prefer a curated approach as opposed to completeness, yet often I can't help myself.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Ah, see I managed to get through all of the really big box of "Cutting Edge".

Oh, and the answer is no.

timnor likes this.
  16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I listened to the complete box just after its release. I began with the audience recordings of the American concerts and then moved on to (more) professionally-recorded European dates.

It was a fascinating experience, as you slowly appreciate the subtle changes in the performance as Dylan and the Hawks develop a kind of ****-you confidence in what they're doing as a reaction to the hostility of sections of the audience. After a while, my listening gained its own momentum and I felt almost as exhausted as the Zim must have felt right at the end.

However, I tend to think of it as 'one album' and haven't listened to any of the discs since.

goer, Percy Song, timnor and 2 others like this.
  17. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Give me everything and then let me do my own curation!

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Precisely!

redsock and Percy Song like this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

This seems as good of a thread as any to post a tangentially-related question: I'm fascinated by this period in Dylan's history and the outcry amongst the folk music purists about Dylan "going electric." I've read the open letter to Bob Dylan that Irwin Silber published in Sing Out but is there anywhere online that I can find Tom Paxton's infamous "Folk Rot" article from the 1966 issue of Sing Out?

20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Man, those harp sections of Mr. Tambourine Man at Sheffield really are something.

asdf35, goer, Mbd77 and 5 others like this.
  21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exactly! That's the spirit!

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

You started listening in the middle. The arc begins in 1965 during the solo-acoustic
    tour of England in the Spring and continues into the collaboration with The Hawks
    in the fall. Some of the changes and growth in performance across 1965 are subtle
    and some are obvious, but the emotional arc begins in early 1965 and is sustained
    all the way through 1966.

asdf35 and Blue Note like this.
  23. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Just a reminder, it's okay if you end up crying when listening to this tour. Be it joy or for other reasons.

24. CRadtke

CRadtke Forum Resident

budwhite, goer, Lars1966 and 5 others like this.
  25. old school

old school Senior Member

Just love all the shows especially all the UK ones and Royal Albert Hall! All 36 are worth owning.

goer, CRadtke, Richard--W and 3 others like this.