SH Spotlight VINYL record collecting: Question to Steve: sound quality, original pressing vs. reissue pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christer, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's not just the stamper number or where it was pressed. It can also be the time of day it was pressed. As I discovered with two copies of the Music Matters 45rpm reissue of Horace Silver's, Song For My Father. One copy had a hot high end, bring the cymbals forward and highlighting the initial bite of the trumpet player. As a result, that copy was emotionally engaging, having me sit up in my seat when listening. My other copy sounded sort of laid back. The top end was not nearly as hot. The cymbals have less of a shimmer and less air. It threw the soundstage farther back and I don't feel as compelled to sit up at the edge of my seat while listening. MM's press up to 500 per stamper, so they're certainly not wearing out. But why the difference in sound? I discovered that the water cooling temperature varies depending on the time of day, and that can alter the sound as well.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its also dependent on your eating habits. I was listening to the DCC of Aqualung the other day and cooking bacon. Never again. The sizzle was horrid.

fitzrik, WillieDaPimp, marcb and 23 others like this.
  3. I see what you did there...….

Crimson Witch, Tommyboy and mpayan like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am no audiophile or expert, but could this have something to do with rock and roll not being taken very seriously early on, and so the folks doing the cutting were a little uninterested?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The more "uninterested" the better the record. It's when they tamper that they can kill it.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That sizzle give you nice top end.. Something lacking on AQUALUNG.

aoxomoxoa, ParloFax, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I wouldn't say a remaster is better. As much as I want it to be, it isn't necessarily the case. I did pay money for an album I already own. I just did a comparison between my George Piros cut of Bad Company's first album to Kevin Gray's cut. In this case the Piros cut was vastly better. I think Gray along with Bellman have done incredible work over the past 10 years since vinyl has made it's revival. But they aren't all better than the originals. I will say that Piros had a brand new tape to cut his master while Gray probably had the same tape with 35 years of aging. So, maybe it was the best he could do. Gray's cut is bad, it just isn't as good as Piros' cut.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Sorry i'm not really familiar with cutting ... but an uninterested cutter couldn't really do anything carelessly or lackadaisically and it spoil the press?

9. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

the question for me is generally, "which pressing should i avoid!?"

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Some engineers demand more cowbell. But the great ones? "More bacon!!"

11. AnalogJ

My kitchen is outfitted for best sound. I get a very rich sizzle, while the tea kettle renders a harmoniously sophisticated whistle.

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I had two DECCA US copies of The Who Sell Out that sounded night and day. I passed the lesser copy on to my brother.

13. G E

G E Senior Member

The variation in sound across media and within media groups is astounding. I have multiple records of the same album looking for that holy grail. I have been lucky a few times

One can use dead wax etchings as a rough guide using information shared here (THANK YOU ALL CONTRIBUTORS) , but that is just part of it - did you get a pressing closer to beginning of life or end of life of the stamper. Don’t know until you spin it.

Tom’s pricing raises eyebrows but he has to listen to lots of crap that never sees the light of day on his website. I get his business model.

There are some reissue labels that do a heck of a job onnreussues. They deserve our support.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Makes me regret spending the $$$ on all those original Parlophone Beatles albums.

Crimson Witch and tubesandvinyl like this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

16. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

GOOD GOD

it's like the old adage
    never by a Ford on a friday

marcb, uzn007, Christer and 3 others like this.
  17. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

For the run of the mill digital remasters
    they lack an openess

in the late 70s early 80s I bought japanese virgin vinyl
    and uk originals if they the only way to get them

10 years ago once I found out how fantastic first pressing uk and german pressings were - back to replacing key lps

love the new pressings from the best engineerd including our host Steve
    some digital high rez vinyl (although not are desireable step) can sound great

too many run Of the mill remasters - bright or dull, toneally off

usually prefer originals

LinnsondekLP and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have a lot of RCA classical but have never gotten into that level of research & classification. Then again, they are just records I pick up for $1 or less. Some sound great & many don't. I agree that London classical LPs are much more consistently good to excellent.

19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

A question came up recently that I didn't know how to answer. Is there a difference between a first pressing and an original pressing?

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have a lot of vintage RCA, Decca, EMI and Mercury LPs in my collection. Some sound spectacular, others average. As Steve said.... the search for the best pressing was unnerving. I stopped collecting in the 90’s. Searching for CDs is much easier today.

21. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

So... let's not talk then about european domestic Lp pressings, shall we? Do my spanish Beatles 60's Lps have any sonic value? :rolleyes:

22. AnalogJ

I'm sure there might be a few who be willing to take them off of your hands. ;)

breakingglass and Tommyboy like this.
  23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man I just got a big pile of Living Stereo Shaded Dogs in minty condition but I didn't know it was gonna be a whole 'nother trip to figure out if they're the 'good ones' or not. I like geeking out on Zeppelin and the Stones but this is too much for me.

GerryO and Rickchick like this.
  24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Can I release you from that "weight"? :)

uzn007 likes this.
  25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The other thing I've always wondered about:

Let's say there is a particular pressing of an album that is sought out.

Won't the first copies pressed pressed by a stamper in that run sound better than the last ones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.