Apollo 11

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by englishbob, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

This looks INCREDIBLE

2. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Yeah the 50% of the picture that was left after cropping looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'll be aware of that through the whole film. We went to the moon in Academy ratio.

jtiner likes this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Looking forward to this!

Yes, it's a weird choice if the movie is in 2.35 but most of the footage was filmed in 1.33.
    Same with The Beatles and Elvis Presley documentary. If you gotta crop, why not go half way with 1.78?

4. budwhite

But wait a minute

In December, the Apollo 11 filmmakers told Vanity Fair that Dan Rooney, an archivist at the National Archives and Records Administration, knew the footage was boxed up in a vault somewhere but he had no idea what kind of treasure he was sitting on. As NASA was preparing the Apollo 11 launch, it made a deal with MGM Studios to film the mission preparations and their aftermath. MGM set up a crew to film it all using the same epic Todd-AO70mm treatment it gave to blockbusters like The Sound of Music. Six weeks before launch, MGM lost interest but NASA wanted to go through with it anyway and managed to get the crew filming. Some of the footage was used in a short documentary, but most of it was locked away. Now it’s coming to the big screen along with audio culled from 11,000 hours worth of uncatalogued recordings.
    https://gizmodo.com/stunning-trailer-for-apollo-11-brings-us-never-before-s-1832132176

I'm guessing that the 70mm footage was shot in widescreen

5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is that all vintage footage? If so, WOW!

Also, the tail end of that trailer (last 5 seconds or so) sounds like it's using the theme from Stranger Things.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    j_rocker and longdist01 like this.
  6. budwhite

Sure looks like it. Good old analog quality for the ages

andrewskyDE and longdist01 like this.
  7. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Awesome!!

longdist01 likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

That's pretty amazing, will have to see that on the big screen!

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Can't wait. I grew during the space race. I'm a space geek, I have Neil Armstrong's autograph :)

Jamey K, andrewskyDE, RogerB and 9 others like this.
  10. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Anyone know when this will open? Is it a theatrical release or TV release? Looks incredible.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    RK2249 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks for this I'm definitely there! I've seen this trailer in the theater and it was a knockout.

13. budwhite

Sorry to dissapoint you :whistle: The 70mm widescreen footage looks spectacular and you can see that it's not cropped.
    Great read The Found Footage That Provides a Whole New Look at the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LarsO, jamesc, Phillip Walch and 9 others like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Looks good. Michael Collins looks 14 years old!

RK2249 and longdist01 like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

No, this one is about Pollo 11, a documentary commissioned by the owner of a chain of 10 Mexican fried chicken restaurants to celebrate the opening of his newest one.

JuanTCB, Murph and Ghostworld like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Here on the other side of 50, everybody looks like a teenager. I knew all my doctors do.

MrSka57 and jtiner like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can hear the calls to MGM: “Marty, I’m telling ‘ya, we need to pull the plug! We got nothing here! No story, no action, guys spinning on carnival rides and throwing up! Characters? You can’t fill a lot of screen time with nothing pilots mumbling “A O.K. And “Outstanding.” Love story? Not a sibgle hot broad! Unless you can think of a way to get Yvette Mimieux down here to Florida in a bikini, I’m washing my hands of this project — Now!”

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Enshrined in a song at a tender young age.

Murph, rburly and Pete Puma like this.
  20. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Yeah actually I will amend my comment. They did the 70mm on Earth for the Cape, Houston and recovery. So those were actually widescreen and do look great. But if they show anything widescreen shot in-flight to, from, and on the moon, those would be cropped. I'm looking forward to it whatever may come.

budwhite and longdist01 like this.
  21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I agree any in flight footage should be shown at actual ratio. I believe much of the in-flight and lunar surface still photography was done with a pair of 70mm and a 35mm cameras but the motion photography was done with 16mm.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Yes. I don't think the astronauts had 70mm film cameras on board, lolol.

23. Chris DeVoe

The video camera to capture the first footstep was a fairly late addition the the mission.

Kiko1974, budwhite and longdist01 like this.
  24. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm in. I think I have seen everything I need about the whole Apollo program and the Gemini program and then this beautiful looking piece comes along.

25. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Oh yeah, and take that you g-------d flat earthers. Showing off grainy stupid looking shaky video of Venus with a Nikon P900 trying to convince 4 year olds and senile men that we are in a dome surrounded by ice.

I know there is no direct comparison between this film and flat earth theories but after spending about a week watching these crazy a-- videos on YouTube where all they do is build conspiracy with self referential youtube videos I am simply staggered by the detail of what I see in these Apollo 11 stills. This all happened not on a set but in real life with real adults involved. It was an amazing, complex and scary thing to do taxing the limits of what American ingenuity could do with only one goal in mind. The detail in the film reinforces to me how this accomplishment is such an amazing and very real thing.

Fire away flat earthers, it's the internet, I don't give a darn what you say. This happened, space exists; it's far higher than you think it is and we have really great looking views of it as proof. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.