The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Picked up a minty mono of this at a record faire this past year and love it! I believe the cover was done by the same folks as "Ole".

Starwanderer and Mugrug12 like this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

How's this sound? Mixed bag? Is there any Tony Oxley within? Looks tasty.

3. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed. And the odd thing is that Disk Union, DIW's parent, has issued many Jazz reissues, not to mention them being a Japanese company. And who is more active in Jazz reissues than Japan? Lots of DIW titles deserving of a second life.

Starwanderer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

Right place, right time eh?
    ;)

5. AxiomAcoustics

Nice juxtaposition, need to do this. What pressing of NY Eye do you have? I just have a Get Back reissue, which, well.....

6. AxiomAcoustics

Next duet of beauty.

Charlie Haden & Brad Mehldau: Long Ago And Far Away

Charlie Haden: Double Bass
    Brad Mehldau: Piano

Another November recording, live in Mannheim Germany Nov 7th, 2007. Another marvel of duet mind-meld beautifully recorded and played with the setlist comprised of standards and Haden comps with the average time running in the 10-12 minute mark. No rushing through the "hits" here, plenty of exploration, solo passages. You can actually hear the negotiation, a few moments of tentativeness between the infrequent colaborators, and pure improvisatory joy. We put this on repeat and it just engulfed the house in warmth. In fact, the recording is so warm and burnished it's almost euphonic. Miss it if you hate the sound of discovery and Jazz communion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What, is everyone watching the Superbowl?

7. AxiomAcoustics

And just realized that I had meant to ask what titles/era you had been checking out?

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

That one I don't own. I stream it on Spotify 320kbs. I was actually inspired because a store near me has an original on the wall, but it was too expensive
    for me. Would love a nice reissue! Im doing better w the Miles Davis, with a 2 eye early mono.

9. AxiomAcoustics

OK then. The ESP/Get Back Italy I have is ~$35, and is serviceable. But, it appears that ESP has a reissue out that runs ~$26 via importcds. I'd say worth a try, if the OP is not an opton:
    https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Eye...&sr=1-1&keywords=new+york+eye+and+ear+control

Mugrug12 likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Dinner time. AP SACD:

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, Berthold, lwh1 and 9 others like this.
  11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note "Blue Note Classic" US Press LT-987) 1979 .... recorded April 14th + 24th, 1967 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Lee Morgan (tp) + David "Fathead" Newman (ts) + Cedar Walton (p) + Ron Carter (b) + Billy Higgins (dr) .... another quality - unissued until 1979 - Blue Note session for Lee Morgan .... he matches splendidly with the soulful tenor of David "Fathead" Newman and the Rhythm Section (Cedar Walton !!) is classy anway ....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MagicAlex, lwh1, fingerpoppin and 6 others like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Audio Wave XRCD24 AWMXR-0008) 2010 .... recorded August 11th, 1964 .... Lee Morgan (tp) + Jackie McLean (as) + Curtis Fuller (tb) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Bob Cranshaw (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... excellent (Curtis Fuller !!) .... said to been shelved due to the success of "The Sidewinder" (until 1980) .... beautiful Alan Yoshida remaster - what more to say ....

13. A Tribute to the Immortal Fats Waller
    [​IMG]

Satch Plays Fats - Louis Armstrong and his All-Stars (Columbia/Legacy) CD
    with
    Louis Armstrong (trumpet/vocal), Velma Middleton (vocal), Trummy Young (trombone), Barney Bigard (clarinet), Billy Kyle (piano), Arvell Shaw (bass), Barrett Deems (drums)

Sessions recorded 1955
    plus
    7 additional tracks recorded between 1929 - 1932 and credited to either Louis Armstrong & His
    The Hot Five or Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Impulse! Nippon Columbia Stereo YP-8533-AI) 1976 .... recorded June 13th + 14th, 1961 .... Wayne Shorter (ts) + Lee Morgan (tp) + Curtis Fuller (tb) +Bobby Timmons (p) + Jymie Merritt (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... all the clever money goes to the wondeful early 60`s recordings on Blue Note, but this one is very good indeed with truly passionate playing by Wayne Shorter .... btw Jymie Merritt unrightfully was an underappreciated bassplayer - this platter gives uncounterable proof ....

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the image.

16. [​IMG]

The Big Beat - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (Blue Note) CD

Bass –
    Jymie Merritt
    Drums – Art Blakey
    Piano – Bobby Timmons
    Tenor Saxophone – Wayne Shorter
    Trumpet – Lee Morgan

Recorded 1960

24 bit Japanese CD issued as part of the Blue Note - The Finest 1100 series.

Excellent music presented in excellent sound.

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Riverside Victor Music "Riverside Original Recording Series" Japan SMJ-6074) 1975 .... recorded October 23nd + 24nd , 1962 @ Plaza Sound Studios, New York .... Wayne Shorter (ts) + Freddie Hubbard (tp) + Curtis Fuller (tb) + Cedar Walton (p) + Reggie Workman (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... talked earlier about the clever money going for Art Blakey`s early 60`s Blue Note euvre - but his first two out of three) outings for Riverside are outstanding and this studio date has all the assets of a classic Messenger session aka a tight band, first class soloists and excellent choice of material .... again Wayne Shorter is superb and so is the bass performance of Reggie Workman - what a bass payer .... btw the Keepnews Colletion Cd 0888072301870 from 2007 has two bonus tracks and very good sound ....

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't know if this is Jazz I feel it,. or just a great record.
    [​IMG]

Tim 2 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

The John Wright Trio ‎– South Side Soul

From '60 with Wendell Roberts on bass and Walter McCants on drums. Another - at least to me - obscurity brought on by YT's algorithm which I listened to and greatly enjoyed this morning. At least this gem was reissued via OJC on CD unlike the Bill Jennings albums I was listening to before. Very bluesy as John Wright's Chicago roots are on full display (even though he's originally from either Kentucky or Tennessee, depending on source).

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Atlantic Rhino Records "Atlantic Jazz Gallery" US Press R2 75598) 1999 .... recorded May 14th + 15th, 1957 @ Atlantic Studios, New York .... Johnny Griffin (ts) + Bill Hardman (tp) + Thelonious Monk (p) + Spanky Debrest (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... the session covers mostly Monk compositions and the composer audibly feels spirited by this energized Jazz Messengers incarnation .... special mention goes to trumpeter Bill Hardman and tenor "little giant"Johnny Griffin, the latermentioned demonstrates (again) his affinity with Monk`s euvre ....

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Liberty Press Blue White Label BST 84258) 1967 .... recorded March 14th, 1961 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Wayne Shorter (ts) + Lee Morgan (tp) + Bobby Timmons (p) + Jymie Merritt (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... finally arriving with the Jazz Messenger at Blue Note in the early 60`s and this session - amazingly not released until 1967 - features the band (again) in top form .... Wayne Shorter is growing beyond himself and Bobby Timmons has some deeply soulful contributions .... wonderful indeed ....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  25. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics