Classic TV shows you loved but simply can't watch anymore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

It doesn't mean the show itself is bad, it can be a highly regarded, award-winning gem, but for whatever the reason you can't watch it anymore.

For me, it's M*A*S*H. I loved it in its intitial run and would never miss it. Now, I just can't bring myself to watch it. Not sure why. Maybe its subject of war depresses me a bit these days more so than when I was much younger. I know the finale really pulled me down and perhaps that has put me in a funk on the whole series.

What shows did you once loved but can't watch anymore?

2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Three's Company - I find it unwatchable now with it's unending sexual innuendos. I can't believe I ever watched the show.

3. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

All In the Family- too much screaming.

4. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

For me, it's probably M*A*S*H. I loved it back in the day and couldn't get enough of it. As a result, nowadays when I watch it, I know every line they are going to say before they say it. Not only that, but it's just unbelievable how much they cut out of the reruns - and badly, too - so that also makes it very hard to watch!

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I've a hankering to re-watch 'Moonlighting'. It was a favourite series of mine in the 80s. Not seen it since it aired. Reason I (simply) can't watch it any more is I threw away all my Betamax videos.... :winkgrin:

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Dukes Of Hazzard

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Same. It was great when I was 6 years old but terrible as an adult.

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

For me it's "Laugh In". Back in the sixties/early seventies I thought it was hilarious
    and cutting edge. Watching the reruns now on "Decades", not only does it not seem
    funny, most of the time it's just silly and nearly unwatchable. (I do still like seeing
    Goldie Hawn though).

a customer, Grootna, Gumboo and 10 others like this.
  9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I'm sympathetic to this, but the show always reminds me of a somehow more honest time that's hard to imagine today.

11. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

M*A*S*H, which I used to watch all the time. Watching them now the episodes from around '75 and later are too freakin' sanctimonious as it became "woke."

jonathan, nifticus, Karnak and 21 others like this.
  12. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Yes! And whenever Mr. Roper made a stupid joke he would break the 4th wall and look right into the camera with a stupid grin. Never paid much attention way back when, but now it's just irritating.

13. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Yep. Can't believe it had as long a run as it did, not to mention spin-offs.

I was flipping through the channels recently and came across an episode where Jonathan Frakes played the part of Daisy Duke's boyfriend or something. It was sooooo bad. Probably one of those roles that today he doesn't admit to playing...:D:D:D

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In hindsight, I would say that nearly all TV shows from the 60s and 70s that I enjoyed when I was a child or teenager have not held up well. I never expected Gilligan’s Island or Laverne and Shirley to be high art, but, when I see an episode of a vintage sitcom now, I find it completely unwatchable. Even the smarter shows from the era, such as Bewitched or Mary Tyler Moore, seem hopelessly dated compared to the standard of quality that TV has reached over the past ten to twenty years. That each episode of pretty much every show had to be self-contained, because in the pre-DVD, pre-cable, pre-streaming era, there was no guarantee that every viewer would catch every episode, largely foreclosed the possibility of more intricate plotlines that stretch over several episodes or seasons.

15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

"Good Times" and "Charlie's Angels". Man, those shows are pretty bad. I saw a couple of episodes of "The Bob Newhart Show", and that seemed to hold up pretty well. "Taxi", too, for the most part.

MikaelaArsenault, Tim 2 and bpmd1962 like this.
  16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

SNL. It was comedy gold in its golden years.

Now, though? Mean, nasty, and vicious.

17. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I found this with a lot of old shows when DVDs first became available. I've got deep memories of the best moments from The Beverly Hillbillies and The Munsters, to name a couple. But watching a handful of episodes, you realize most series from the days of 26 (or 39!) shows a year are pretty thin gruel with maybe a few well remembered "classic" episodes.

18. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The British original, MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE, was much better(I'm like a broken record with my British originals!).

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Leave it to beaver. Many boxes of Capt Crunch watching that show.

20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I loved MASH back in its day when I was growing up, but it wore on me a long time ago. All that clever "quipping" that makes up most of the dialogue just doesn't hold up for me (see also Cheers).

21. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

When I was in my teens, I was hopelessly devoted to MONTY PYTHON and even assumed I'd grow up to BE them! I still think the shows are brilliant, but I really overdosed on it back in the day and can't sense why I went so fanatical over them(especially since finding Tony Hancock and STEPTOE AND SON, which have much more depth, though to be fair those shows weren't the same kind of comedy!). PYTHON's sister show THE GOODIES is an even tougher slog now!

MikaelaArsenault and hi_watt like this.
  22. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Not sure what you mean by "woke." but I probably agree. The show became too self righteous for my taste.

Robert Altman, director of the movie, disliked the TV Series as he felt it missed the point.

23. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I tried doing a dvd run of Magnum PI, which I really liked back in the day. It’s unwatchable, now.

24. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I think the original cast run of SNL isn't nearly as good as that generation makes it out to be. There are some definite keepers there, but a lot of that stuff hasn't aged all that well, if it was even that good to begin with. I think the Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers era crushes it.

25. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Cheers is pretty cringe worthy now especially when men are threatening women with physical violence. And the women get turned on by it. Yikes.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.