John Lennon 1980 footage -Insanely Uber Rare

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There isn't a lot of footage of John Lennon from 1980 but now we have some new material filmed on october 13, 1980 during Seans birthday party at Tavern On the Green in NYC. We can also see John and Yoko's art dealer and close friend Sam Green and Seans nanny Helen Seaman.

Enjoy this wonderful footage. :)

Sean, Jazzmonkie, Jeff57 and 97 others like this.
  2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Poignant

John looked happy, like he really had his act together, and was optimistic about the future.

RIP John Lennon

3. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Nice video, like the Harlem Globetrotters pinball! Touching to see John and Sean together having fun.

Sean, lordcat, Exotiki and 11 others like this.
  4. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Hardly rare as this footage has been around for almost 2 years now and much longer before that in private collectors hands. If this has stunned you then you obviously would be amazed at what is out there :)

5. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a lot of footage from 1979 which has been on YouTube for years but this is kinda rare. We saw bits of it in the Imagine movie and a video but not the whole thing.

Anyway, not everybody has seen this before so it's still cool.

6. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. Not everyone has seen this.

Man at C&A, Sean, TonyCzar and 22 others like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You can really see that John was finally coming into his own. And that was going to be a positive effect for many other people in his life. What a crying shame.

Sean, ODIrony, Exotiki and 16 others like this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Feel free to post. Would be much obliged. The more Lennon clips, the merrier.

Sean, Exotiki, Hootsmon and 11 others like this.
  9. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I had never seen this, thanks for posting...and making me cry a bit. Wow.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never seen this, thanks. I don't think one can read much into it except John looks physically fit and alert.

11. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Back in the 1990's, a Beatles collector bragged to me about owning hours of Lennon's private home videos, courtesy of Fred Seaman.

It was one of those conversations where you try and politely end the conversation immediately...while slowly backing away...

12. Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why John wouldn't have looked fitter, happier, more productive, in 1980, given that he had spent 5 years relaxing with family at his home? Getting back with Yoko and having Sean in 1975, the "lost weekend" was far behind, by the time Sean was born. I would expect a man in his late 30s to look and feel pretty good. Or, am I missing something?

13. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

There isn't anything unexpected about this. It is just incredibly sad seeing this and knowing what is going to happen less than two months later.

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The Chapman footage?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

I have seen pictures from the birthday party but I have never seen the filmed footage. Thank you for sharing!

16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

OK now give us the studio footage of John from 1980. Amazing how such little images and video we have from the making of what was John's planned "comeback" album. Did he not plan on promoting it much except for a few interviews?

If I was Jack Douglas I'd have been hounding John and Yoko about getting a top photographer and filmmaker in the studio for some of the sessions.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  17. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

He was booked to play the John Harms in Englewood NJ that New Years Eve and my local paper had a half page ad for the show right under the half page obit.

18. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Gosh, am I the only one who thinks he looks too thin, and maybe ten years older than he is?

19. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

No you're not seeing things. In fact images and footage of John from 1974 (his alleged "lost weekend"), he looks very fit and healthy.

It think it was only the first couple months out in LA that he went a little wild with booze, and after that he got pretty healthy and was in great shape. You an see his arms looking like he's been lifting weights in some sleeveless pics from 74.

By 1980, he looks a decade older, and is very thin, almost frail, for sure. Reminds me of Bowie in 1974/75 at the height of his cocaine use and malnutricious diet.

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Yeah, I would never call John in 1980 "fit". Nowadays it seems that "fit" means "skinny", "thin", "anorexic", or whatever. Overly slim. It's not.

21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

everyone looks happy and at peace. nice video.

Doggiedogma and oboogie like this.
  22. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Damn this is hard to watch. So sad to know it would end a couple of months later.

23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I think thin people were more normal in 1980, George was super thin for a while in the 70s. Nowadays not many people are truly thin.

Fullbug and AFOS like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually, he looks around 40 to me, and he seems to have the build of many Japanese men who eat at home and avoid take out places. The traditional Japanese diet has very little fat. Perhaps he spent five years eating “fish and rice” instead of “fish and chips”?

dee, Sean, fmfxray373 and 8 others like this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you have a link to more footage, please post. I would love to see it. What does it consist of?

Derek Slazenger and oboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.