VG vinyl records and lower grades.. Who buys them and why?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Old Zorki II, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

It’s code for groove wear, in my experience.

12" 45rpm, Izozeles and Old Zorki II like this.
  2. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Many (most) record buyers don't do it for the sound quality. I don't. A lot of people just want something tactile in their hands to enjoy their music, as well as use a format that encourages paying closer attention to the music, or album listening. Having something tactile also can be a way to pre-commit to exploring new albums - you own it to use it. (Most of the records I buy I've never heard before). Streaming, mp3s, etc don't do any of these things. Others may have different justifications.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  3. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I would think if it wasn’t a South African pressing, you’d be lucky if an African record left the press in better than VG condition. Same with Jamaican and to a lesser extent, Communist bloc and Southeast Asian pressings.

4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I bought 60’s records back then when prices were reasonable. Sadly, that’s not the case anymore

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

I have several records from former Soviet Union (local jazz mostly) and Chechoslovakia (mostly classical) from eighties, they are not bad.
    But earlier, especially from 60th and first half of 70th, generally "sizzling bacon" regardless of condition.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  6. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident

I never buy VG albums sight unseen. I almost never buy VG+ sight unseen because audibly VG+ should have be surface noise, scratches, or be worn to a point that’s noticeable and too many people improperly grade their stuff.

When I have felt comfortable with a seller and pulled the plug and actually got a true VG+ than I remember that seller for future purchases.

I have picked up VG from my local places but this is that scenario where it’s rare and might not cross my path and I can get it for $10-$15 when a true VG+ would cost $60-$100.

To your point I don’t get it either. I’m would always spring an extra few bucks for VG+ if available (but like I said I don’t consider VG sight unseen)

I do understand some people would rather have say 20 VG Records for $60 rather than 10 VG+ as quantity means more than quality. Another point may be that people newer to buying used vinyl don’t really understand the definition of each grade. With them Very Good sounds better that it actually is be definition.

This whole group of vinyl purchasers are potentially why sellers can misgrade their stuff and continue to get away with it - but this would be a different thread!!

ausgraeme and All Down The Line like this.
  7. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yeah, that's true enough. however, there is a big difference between a record that has had say a limited press in a poorly run plant in Lagos, that starts life as a VG+ in real money, is well looked after by one considerate owner (I have quite a few of these) and a record that has been slung across the room from party to party over the last 40 years

the box I got was full of the latter, unfortunately

8. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I have a horrible feeling that you're actually being serious.

I'd rather pay a busker to strum it for me.

But on a serious note, these are the last few VG/VG+ albums I purchased - all from local record stores, incidentally, where there was no "better" copy available. Which streaming service would you suggest I should have used instead?

Ewan MacColl & Peggy Seeger - the Long Harvest vols 1,4, 10
    Choker Campbell - Hits of the Sixties
    Brenda Lee - Sincerely
    various - Hot Hits Volume 3
    Rikki Sylvan - The Silent Hours
    and a couple of bootlegs.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Well said.

10. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I've bought a few rather rare VG records for short $ and was pleasantly surprised by condition.
    A few years ago I bought The first Grateful Dead LP on WB, mono gold label.
    The seller only had a history of 5 sales but great feedback. I think I paid $12 and when it arrived the vinyl itself was much closer to VG++.
    It's basically taking a chance that the seller is being cautious with their grading.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  11. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I’ve purchased records in bad shape with outer sleeves in VG+ or better shape to replace damaged covers a few times. I trashed the records.

12. BWichmann74

[​IMG]
    Jimmie and Vella
    Heartbeat

A bit of feel good Soul from a couple of late teenagers produced on the West Coast in the late 60’s.

I’m not real exposed to West Coast Soul but it seems to have just a bit of the Hippie vibe and I really dig it. Gotta get my hands on more - any solid West Coast Soul recommendations??

phillyal1 likes this.
  13. BWichmann74

My bad - just dropped this in the wrong conversation!!!!!

Sorry about that...

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

On Discogs I only look at listings for NM or M (won't even consider VG+ or lower).
    I scan their feedback for past purchases to check out the accuracy of their grading.
    I also ask questions with a seller I'm unfamiliar with.
    If they don't answer me back, that means communication with the seller will be bad.
    I'll move on and find the record elsewhere on Discogs.
    After a few purchases with a certain seller that I'm happy with their grading, I'll add them my friends list on Discogs.

Darryl

15. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

who buys them??

people that can not afford to pay the NM (or VG++) prices in store

just saw a store sell VG grades on Thriller , Off The Wall , 1999 , the 1st Madonna , a bunch of Husker Du and Replacement's records , all to the same person at $15-$22 each ---when the above albums sell for $35+ in nice grades , a lot of people are happy w/ VGs

though truthfully , not me

16. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I'll give you $12.50 haha. Nice pick up!

17. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I have purchased a couple of Blue Note originals at Very Good before I realized that Very Good meant lots of surface noise, beat up covers, don't waste your time. I hardly buy used vinyl on-line - I know to many people it's worth the risk, but for me it's not worth the time.

18. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Would you mind sharing who is on your list?

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Some of my favorites (Who I've done several orders with & had no problems) are...

funkyfrancofan69
    ryanrecords
    swdaman
    StaxOfWax
    BrothersRecords

I can also send messages with questions before I purchase & it's not a problem.

Darryl

12" 45rpm likes this.
  20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

As mentioned, VG means nothing in many cases. The grade winds up being close to NM to poor. I've bought lots of VG graded records that play fantastic and only needed a cleaning. I look at a record (in my hands or by photographs), gage what I'm willing to pay for it, and either pay or not. I really don't care what letters a seller assigns to it.

zongo likes this.
  21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

What’s the difference between a record G & G+?
    I know there can be noticeable differences in grading.
    M vs NM
    VG+ vs VG

Darryl

22. Old Zorki II

Interesting, that was not my experience at all. I had records sold as NM which can only be qaulified as VG at best (scratches, groove damage, horrible warp), but not the opposite. Every time I bought (albeit it happened very rarely) VG+ in end up closer to VG- then to NM ))).

CharlesS likes this.
  23. Old Zorki II

I can attest BorthersRecords quality, but they usually very pricey.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Considering that VG these days often means a grade or two lower I imagine the buyers own Crosley players or enjoy the nostalgia of snap crackle and pop from their VINYLS. :)

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I like when you click on a listing page & it has a blue button that takes you to more copies for sale.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.