Classic TV shows you loved but simply can't watch anymore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Preferred the film myself. TV theme song was a hit though, suicide...that is.

2. alexpop

I'm wary of old tv shows, you can o.d. binge watching them, they get repetitive and boring real quick.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, without a week between episodes even a brilliant sitcom can become obviously labored.

4. alexpop

Spoiled for choice now. Too many current TV series that are more appealing. Something a few up years old ? I would be preferred ( rather than a fifty year old show)to binge watch say Breaking Bad.

5. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Of those Sid and Marty Krofft shows listed here, I still like:

Land of the Lost - only the 1st 2 seasons; once Marshall was gone, the series plummeted right down that waterfall along with any sense of decent writing
    The Banana Splits - kind of a joint effort with Hanna-Barbera, this one still evokes the psychedelic fun of that late 60's era

Other Sid and Marty Krofft shows not listed, which I still enjoy:

H.R. Pufnstuf - soooo much better than Barney, and completely ripped off by McDonald's; I actually own this series on DVD along with the 1970 film
    The Bugaloos - well, this one's pretty stupid, but I find it far more entertaining than those SNL bees, and Martha Raye was a hoot (albeit in small doses)

The rest I either can't watch anymore, or never watched in the first place. :tiphat:

6. I watched all of them at least once.
    My sister liked Sigmund so that was watched quite a bit.
    Lidsville may be the worst kids show I have ever seen.
    The Banana Splits was a very close second the Lidsville.
    Land of the Lost was okay. I mean Chakka's lines were worth hearing anyway.
    Far Out Space Nuts was not very good either, but it had Gilligan...I mean Bob Denver.

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  7. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Entertainment Tonight.... Give the the Jon Tesh and Mary Hart days of the 80s/90s... We're so oversaturated with "the celebrity" now being shoved down our throats on social media, reality tv, and the internet, that I cannot stomach any more shows devoted to the entertainment business... Used be decent interviews and topics, for a long time it's been anything but news-worthy :rolleyes:

8. Chris DeVoe

The problem is the quality of the celebrities. It used to be you had to have some actual talent in acting, music or some other artistic field to be a celebrity. But most of what passes for "celebrities" these days are just famous for being famous. Can someone explain to my why I'm supposed to care about the Kardasians? I'm aware one of them had a leaked sex tape, but I'm sure I could find the same acts performed by a thousand other women with more skill...and a lot better lighting.

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The Lawrence Welk show just doesn't seem to have the old zip that it had once.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Agree! Also it used to be rare for tv/movie stars to be seen outside their native habitat, now we see many of them any time we care to, and often when we don't. This has ruined award shows for me, why watch 3+ hours of a show where you're really interested in about 11 minutes of it and you can see those later that night on youtube.

My entry into the "can no longer watch" goes to the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I loved him, loved the show, but the repeats just don't hold up. But that's ok, it wasn't meant to be viewed critically 20-30-40 years later.

11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I get no kick from champagne music makers:D

12. Chris DeVoe

At least the people on the Oscars have genuine talent.

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

On another note, what about - Hee Haw- Buck Ovens, Roy Clark, and then there were the girls.

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I see so many mentions of M*A*S*H*. I just recently rewatched the entire series, and while I may not appreciate it as much as I used to, it was still eminently watchable.
    Seinfeld, on the other hand, not so much. I think it may be because so much of the series has been discussed ad nauseam, the jokes and situations don't seem as cutting edge as they used to.

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd be able to watch it anymore or not, but the first show that pops into my head is "The A-Team"... I watched it every week when it was originally on, but I don't know if I'd think it aged well... I was going to buy one of the season sets, but skipped it... If I see one again really cheap, I may buy it to review the show and see how it's aged...

MikaelaArsenault and Lightworker like this.
  16. Grand_Ennui

I still like "LOTL", although the third season is by far the weakest, what with Chaka speaking English (albeit broken English) and Will's end of episode songs (which weren't many, thankfully)...

17. Grand_Ennui

Agreed on M*A*S*H-I still find it watchable, especially the first three years... When Trapper John and Henry were gone, it lost a lot, and when Frank Burns was no longer part of the show, that's when I find it starting to get on its preachy high horse (although there were moments of that beforehand of course)...

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy to say that there aren't any...I still love them all...

19. alexpop

Just watched Planet Of The Apes tv series, don’t recall viewing this real back in the mid seventies. Pretty good I thought.

Why no series 2.
    Too violent?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

True, the one that was the pilot for Happy Days was pretty good. In fact it was better than the Happy Days series was after season 2.

21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Agreed, I might watch it on occasion. Yes, it did get preachy, but it was still one of the most well-written and well-acted TV series of its' time and I can still appreciate it on that level.

a customer likes this.
  22. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I've been watching The Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu-ray lately, and it holds up very well today despite being set in a very, very different world. It's pretty obvious that Carl Reiner's brilliant writing is the main reason.

I started watching a few episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which I never watched back in the day. It's very dated and not very entertaining. Maybe it gets better after Season 1, but I'm beginning to think I'll never make it that far.

My copy of The Complete Ernie Kovacs will arrive tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if those bits are as hilarious as I remember them.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The pilot for Moonlighting is outstanding. I enjoy both seasons 1 & 2 (and some parts of 3) but I think the pilot was absolute perfection. It felt like a feature film at times.

Dynasty - I like seasons 1 & 2 but the rest is just so campy and over the top, it's like too much candy. Dallas holds up much better for me.

24. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I have been watching Buck Rogers reruns on MeTV. What a bad show. Bad stories, acting, set design, SFX .. but I still love it.

WKRP has held up really well through.

25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I remember watching The Dukes Of Hazzard in a hotel in Paris circa 1986 with full French dialogue-dubbing.
    We pretended everybody was Cajun and it actually worked pretty well that way.

MikaelaArsenault and Jack Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.