Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Both tunes are great--both have their charms. These Stones discussions are great because everyone is so passionate about their particular favorites.

"Claudine" would have fit seamlessly on Girls--and I'm a sucker for that 50s-esque rockabilly storm Keef and Woody generate on that track.

- siyt

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love Claudine. The deluxe bonus discs for Some Girls and Exile are brilliant, brilliant. I know some folks dislike the modern vocals, but they never bothered me at all and I actually think both of those discs hold up as amazing additions to the Stones' core catalog. The Some Girls disc in particular is like a completely new Stones album--and a great one! You've got your country-tinged stuff (No Spare Parts is so great) and a little bit of reggae (Don't Be a Stranger) and a little bit of bluesy rock (So Young). Even a classic Keith warbler in We Had It All.

That's what I would prefer for a new album, actually--a little mixture of everything, rather than a blues album or a rock 'n roll album or what have you. If this is the last time, I want them to show off their variety. They love music and they have done so many styles so well--they just put 'em through a Stones filter. :cool:

Edit: Oh, and I'm on the side of loving Far Away Eyes for what it's worth.

Sean, MerseyBeatle, enro99 and 9 others like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I would also like to hear some variety, which is after all what the Stones often give us with an original long player.
    If there is a country song all the better, (I am not a fan of the genre at all but I like the Stones doing it) the Stones are so great because their genuine fascination with musical forms keeps them from being solely a blues rock act.
    Some would love it if they'd stick just to that but their margins and scope are so wide they consequently cannot just play rock.

Sean, bonus, steelinYaThighs and 4 others like this.
  4. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Agreed. Even when they amazingly depart from blues rock, a la Continental Drift, 2000 Light Years from Home, there's something brilliant there.

5. steelinYaThighs

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments on the Outtakes Discs for Exile and Girls, P.W. In particular, I agree with your assessment of what some have termed "Old Man Jagger" vocals from 2010 (Exile Outtakes); for a then 67 year old man, The Commander "delivered" admirable vocal performances--given the project undertaken, I viewed it as a labor of love for him and his fellow musicians. It shows on the quality of the finished product.

Ha. You & Me both on "F.A.E."--I like when The Commander does that tongue-in-cheek stuff--he (and the band) make it their own. This is why they silenced the naysayers in 72 and 76 and 78 and 81--they could take any genre and style it with their own musical signatures making it their very own. They were doing that in the early 60s when they were doing those Chuck Berry/The Mighty Howlin' Wolf/McKinley Morganfield covers--great, riproaring covers, but with signatures from all the band members.

- siyt

Sean and Parachute Woman like this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Fisrt of all I love Dear Doctor and Far Away Eyes, two of my all time faves by them. Second of all, I don't know why you are saying he uses his normal voice on Dead Flowers, because he is affecting the hick voice there as well, and I can also hear it in Torn and Frayed.

Sean, Aftermath, entropyfan and 3 others like this.
  7. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I never suggested nor want that either, but mixing it up
    would be great. Another blues/country/rock LP is what
    I have in mind.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Two great songs, there. Goofy but WELL played and sung. Love 'em!

tkl7, bonus and Exile On My Street like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm not really a fan of pedal steel guitar either.

walrus likes this.
  10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

:faint:

twicks and Elliottmarx like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Claudine quite a bit. It has a retro feel to it even though the lyrics dealt with current events at the time.

It would have improved Emotional Rescue if they would have included it instead of some of the weaker tracks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Agreed

steelinYaThighs and John Fell like this.
  13. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Im kind of surprised they stopped doing the deluxe version of albums. I wonder if those were the only ones they intended on doing (Sticky, Exile and Some Girls).

I would be in for more deluxe releases but it must not be lucrative or time-prohibitive for them to do it for other albums.

Maybe instead of just doing live releases for the “From the Vaults” series they could actually put some studio tracks and cuts on a release.

MPLRecords likes this.
  14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Now that I think about it, it would be like another version of “Rarities”—but, um, it would actually be a collection of rarities.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

All of the following are TTBOMK and Something I Read Somewhere:

* The Stones deal with Universal called for precisely 3 deluxe reissues, and 3 have been delivered.

* Forced "Copyright releases" don't apply to recordings after 1972, so I wouldn't hold my breath for "Goats Head Soup - Bubbling Under"

Boomy likes this.
  16. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Like Indian girl

steelinYaThighs and John Fell like this.
  17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

To each their own, I don't particularly like oboes or honking sax solos, so I understand not being a fan of certain sounds. I melt when I hear pedal steel, it is one of the most beautiful and evocative instruments of them all. Simply gorgeous and loaded with emotional impact (for me.) It has a very American sound and, while not played on every street corner, reminds me of the best parts (the arts) of this nation.

Rojo, Sean, btltez and 5 others like this.
  18. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Well I for one am glad they did not, because it would be in bad taste for me to listen to it, since she murdered my wife's sisters husbands best friend.

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You can just say your brother-in-law's best friend.

Sean and OberonOz like this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really like it in certain songs outside of a traditional country context. Like Knopfler brought a full-time steel player on the last Dire Straits tour, and he contributes some tasty stuff to the whole On The Night album, and B.J. Cole's contributions to Spiritualized, Richard Ashcroft's first solo LP, etc (among a ton of others). When used subtly, and for color, it's a really cool sound, but I agree I'm not super into it being the primary lead instrument.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's nowhere near as bad. Although my preferred "Dead Flowers" is the one from the Stripped album...from a purely musical standpoint, I think Jagger was a better vocalist there than in the early 70's, which served certain songs better, including that one. (Conversely, of course, the rawness and youthfulness of his 20-something singing is what made the original versions of "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Street Fighting Man" so great. It's a case-by-case thing)

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They have to be appreciated for what they are. They come across as satirical portraits - of the working class women they portray. These are guys who date and marry jet set models. They wouldn’t come anywhere near the woman in “Far Away Eyes” - bleary, worse for wear and tear, and suffering from extropia. The “bow legged sow” in “Dear Doctor” is even worse.

The country hick vocals just underscore the disdain. It’s all a bit mean-spirited, but it works because the songs are genuinely funny, and the instrumentation is great. And, only the Stones would have the nerve to release music like this - and as a single, even!

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  23. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I can understand your side of the argument I suppose. I just don’t agree after 40 years of my friends and I gleefully singing along with our own fake accents. So much joy and happiness. It works for me.

Sean, steelinYaThighs and bonus like this.
  24. steelinYaThighs

I will give you this--"Indian Girl" is the weakest cut on ER.

- siyt

25. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.