Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

And on a Fender Tele. Still no school like Da Old School! He gives things like "Respectable" even more muscle.

- siyt

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Didn't say anything about releasing. :)

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My understanding is that Keith really likes the country stuff, but Mick doesn't, so that's part of the reason he does the parody type vocals. But yes, it is funny to me, which is part of the reason I like it. Even better when he does the "bow legged sow's" voice in falsetto.

Sean and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Playing to the Texas crowd, but pretty good:

5. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Thanks for this, because you've got me reexamining three of my all-time favorite Stones tracks--ones that I think contribute mightily to the success and appeal of the respective albums on which they're placed.

But the (affectionate, I would say) satire involved doesn't have to do with the women in the songs, but with the narrator men who are pining after the women in question. Jagger is singing about those women through his characters' eyes...

In the cases of "Far Away Eyes" and "Factory Girl," I think it's actually touching that the men in question--shaggy dogs themselves--are pretty frank about the, shall we say, easily overlooked appeal of the women in question, but still wholehearted in their tributes and devotion to their ladies. That is, for me, a big part of what gives the songs their enduring lift and charm.

(And while it's completely speculative and probably a fool's errand to try and connect any of this to Mick Jagger's heart and soul, I can well imagine that he sometimes wishes that his own famously wandering eye would simply settle on one woman...I'm one of the maybe five people who thinks that "Always Suffering" is a terrific Stones track.)

In "Dear Doctor," the joke falls even harder on the narrator, who doesn't want the girl--but who may or may not be regretting it all when she's gone.

Portrayals of women aside, I would agree that Jagger's rendering of these characters at least flirts with mischievousness, especially given the worldly, cosmopolitan characters and viewpoints depicted elsewhere on the two LPs and elsewhere in the Stones' catalogue. But again, I hear affection for--as well as a frank recognition of distance from--these "Salt of the Earth" types...

For all the knocks the Stones have taken for racism, cultural appropriation, and misogyny, I think it's kind of amusing that we're spotlighting their possible offenses against a white, male, (usually American, but see also: "Hang Fire" and "Where The Boys Go") working class...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Michael D, Sean, No Bull and 3 others like this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

And nearly always the early case.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Depends on if you're talking studio or live, as well. I find his live vocals from the 70's-early 80's almost unlistenable at times. The band makes up for it, but it's almost like Jagger didn't really care about how he sounded live until the Steel Wheels tour. But I think he was better able to tackle more sensitive, melodic material better as he got older and better trained. He's a blues singer at his core, and it's perhaps one genre where aging actually improves certain qualities of their voice. I mean, B.B. King was 40-ish (or older) when he cut a lot of most celebrated records, and I think part of it was the maturity of his voice.

Rojo likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have always preferred his vocals from the Steel Wheels tour over the period from 75 to 81

Rojo, Shambolicus and walrus like this.
  9. walrus

I miss the youthful angst, but i'll sacrifice that for actually being in-tune, singing proper melodies, and even enunciating a good chunk of the words semi-coherently. :laugh: I wish there was a magical universe where Steel Wheels Mick sang with 1970's band performances.

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Chuck Leavell deserves a ton of credit for that - he stabilized the Stones as a touring ensemble, what with finding the 'proper' keys for Mick to sing in (like IORR, record in E, now played live in B), using a metronome to count songs off with the same tempos each night, etc.

Sean, Plexiclone and steelinYaThighs like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Now, wait a minute. I agree that you could argue his being better than 75 or 78, but not 72-73. Everyone, Jagger included, was at their peak. The Who at Leeds, the Beatles at Shea, the Allmans at Fillmore East? I would take the Stones in 72-73. Greatest show on Earth.

“Dead Flowers” here. Jagger and Richards at the same mike, Mick Taylor’s soaring guitar fills, Nicky Hopkins’ piano.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    DocShipe, Sean, RogerB and 4 others like this.
  12. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Brussels Affair is proof in the puddin' that your thesis is on point, Sir.

Circa 72/73, no one was hotter than Tails--and his lead work on live renditions of stuff like "Gimme Shelter." They melted the gates of Heaven down with their overwhelming sound.

- siyt

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I was talking studio and the recordings that made their legend.
    I do not agree Jagger with his maturity has become a better blues singer as he has got older but he Has become more mannered!

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can't disagree more with this. Mick's singing through the 70's was dirty, unpredictable, great and horrible. Same with the band, the haphazard endings, the careening guitar interplay... all of that was sterilized with the arrival of Chuck Leavell and continued post Steel Wheels to the current day. Still love them though... :)

15. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I guess I should've posted 'Chuck Leavell either deserves the credit or the scorn, depending on how you feel...'

I think from 2012-on, they've found a good balance between being raw and polished, live. Especially Ronnie, the unsung MVP of the later years...dude has stepped up his game HARD.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Supposedly Chuck pushes to change up the set lists but sometimes he is overruled by Jagger.

krock2009 likes this.
  17. walrus

I love the way the band sounded in those days (except for the 81-82 tours, just not into how they were playing that tour at all), but Mick slurring through songs is more distracting than anything else. I guess if I was there, I wouldn't have cared, the energy made up for it, but just listening to recordings from 1975, for example, it's like, man you could put in a little effort vocally.

RogerB likes this.
  18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Not even Sneaky Pete's or Dave Gilmour's?

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

Thaaank Yooou! 100% agree. Less "Long-Haired Leaping Gnome",
    more concentration on VOCALS. I hated that period barring a few tunes
    AND it was great they started on the heels of, "Take the A Train" and
    "Black Limousine" is a great tune, too.

20. TheDailyBuzzherd

See? That's pretty good! What year again?

Sean, The MEZ and Former Lee Warmer like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

That '75 tour is the only one I find distasteful, vocally *and musically. '81/'82 was pure gold.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like the set lists better in 1981-82 but prefer the 1978 tour.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not really.

24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

creases as sharp as a knife! LOL. I love it.

Sean, TheDailyBuzzherd, bonus and 2 others like this.
  25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

yep and it has that rolling Jerry Lee Lewis 50's vibe on piano as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.