Upgrade recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dani Kalmar, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani Kalmar

Dani Kalmar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been using AT LP120 for 2 years with Ortofon 2M Blue and looking to upgrade to a non DJ turntable up to $1000. I'd like to continue using the 2M Blue for now.
    I have been looking at the likes of 1Xpression Carbon & Rega RP2 which are sold where I live.
    Which one would be a better choice?

2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Any chance of buying used? I don't know what's over there but hopefully it's something! How much is the Rega Planar 3? In the US They're around $1000 USD. Would have a nice upgrade path with a Rega. However, you'll need a spacer to use an aftermarket cart.

SandAndGlass and Bananas&blow like this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A Rega Planar 3 is about £650 over here including cartridge, or £580 without the Elys. (About 4 $ = £3). If local prices are high, could you import one from the UK direct ? It would be more of an upgrade over your nice AT, I think. Or look at the used/ex demo/open box markets.

Dennis0675 and Twinsfan007 like this.
  4. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I have played Rega, Thorens, and a few others not worthy of mention. The table I am using now, and the one I would replace with an exact copy if there were a need, would be a used VPI HW MK III (since I can't quite bring myself to spend the amount necessary for a SOTA vacuum turntable...). I am far from the most experienced around here with multiple turntables, but if I were spending around a grand that is what I would do.

5. Dani Kalmar

It is possible to find used TTs but when buying a new one I have the option to trade in the LP120 and aslo there is warranty to address issues that may come up during setup.

Roycer likes this.
  6. Dani Kalmar

I can possibly get the Planar 3 over here without cartridge within my budget, and install the 2M Blue which is almost new.
    Is the Ortofon cartridge compatible with the Rega tonearm? I read somewhere it is taller than Rega stock cartridges so wouldn't it pose VTA issues ?

7. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Yes you just need to get the Rega spacer which goes for about $30. It will raise the tonearm 2MM. Although I've read ideally you want to raise it 4mm because the height of a Rega Cart is 14mm and the Ortofon is 18mm. But I know people play Ortofons on Rega tables with the 2mm spacer. There was a thread recently about the best $1,000 TT recently. The P3 was a popular choice. And if you want to keep upgrading it you can.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Not familiar at all with Rega TT’s, so maybe this question is crazy, but could the OP use two 2MM spacers?

9. Dani Kalmar

Also I read that someone suggested to replace the felt mat to a thinner mat which might lower the head by 2mm. Does that make sense ?

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

On my old RP3 and Ortofon, I just got small some nylon washers from the local hardware store and added them as spacers between the arm and plinth. I can't say that they are better than a full spacer bit they are very simple to install and at least can let you test it before committing to a spacer.

(not my photo - I actually used much smaller black washers, but this is a good illustration)
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass, Bananas&blow and Helom like this.
  11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

That’s my old P5. Must be about 8 years ago. Those nylon washers were over 3 mm tall, with a Goldring 1042.

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yeah I saw your AK post and forgot you were over here as well or About the time I hit enter I realized I should credit you. :)

I didn't have any pics of mine.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Between those two, the Rega.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Bananas&blow

I would also encourage you to keep an open mind about "DJ turntables". Technics tables have been getting excellent reviews for sound quality, quality of build and speed stability. They sell a lot of tables for a reason.

patient_ot and BayouTiger like this.
  15. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Ortofon will fit almost every turntable ever made , except Rega you could need spacers this is a rega problem not ortofon
    Ortofon are 100years old & why do rega not stick to industry standards to get you to fit there own inferior cartridges

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Dani Kalmar

Yes, I agree it is annoying that Rega sort of force you to not use other cartridges. and that is a major con when I weigh the Pros/Cons.

displayname likes this.
  17. Dani Kalmar

How about the Project 2-Xperience model ? It costs here more or less same as the Planar 3. Not sure yet what cartridge it comes with in the local market.

willboy likes this.
  18. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

Mofi Studiodeck without cart is worth a look

h46e55x and displayname like this.
  19. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This was a big deal for me too. I needed to the love the Rega P6 exponentially more than others I demoed to commit to that. I did like it more than expected, but not enough to purchase. My money went elsewhere.

At that price point you'd be looking at a MoFi Studiodeck as well potentially. I was looking at the next level up, but this is where my money went.

h46e55x likes this.
  20. Bananas&blow

The major con is unscrewing 3 screws? There are youtube videos that walk you through it. There are also spacers that come in 2 pieces and you don't even have to raise the arm more than the distance you are raising it.

BayouTiger likes this.
  21. displayname

Depending on cartridge selection and the number of spacers needed, it's also common for the lid to no longer close. With the spacers you can accommodate any cart, but that doesn't mean you can close the lid. That was always an odd choice to me.
    Not a deal breaker on it's own, but enough to be the loosing factor in a tie breaker. Plus it's a preference thing. For some people it's really a non-issue. For others it's a deal breaker.
    When there are several good options in this price point on the market, no reason not to get what you want.

BayouTiger likes this.
  22. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I bought my LP120 USB used about 18 months ago off CL for ?150. You might try CL and then just buy what you want. My personal preference is vintage, having sold Hi-fi in the 70's and early 80's. I only bought the LP120 as a third TT to plug directly into my computer and my live performance mixing board. It works great for that.

But yeah, if it was my only TT, I'd want to upgrade too. :)

I'm also extremely partial to vintage and, FWIW, I only do direct drive. And it's for the same reason that I only do shaft drive and alloy (as opposed to spoke) wheels on my motorcycles, and timing chains no my cars. Maintenance and reliability. I don't like messing with stuff like this when it's a daily tool.

displayname likes this.
  23. Dani Kalmar

For me if I can't close the lid it is a no go from the start...

Vinyl is final and displayname like this.
  24. Dani Kalmar

How about the Project Debut Carbon Esprit? would this model work well with my 2M Blue cartridge ?
    Maybe I can achieve a decent upgrade without spending a grand ?

25. displayname

At the price of the Esprit I would just go with the PLX for $100 more. I know you don't want a DJ table, but I think the PLX likely stands above the Esprit.

At the end of the day, the Esprit is just a Project Carbon with an acrylic platter and a speed box. Both of those items are nice touches over the regular Debut, but all in all it's still a Debut at it's core. Same arm, same plinth, same motor.

Stanton56 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.