Classic TV shows you loved but simply can't watch anymore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Murdock steals the show every time he gets a line. Hard to believe those guy could pop off so many rounds without hitting anything/anyone!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

When I was a kid, I loved Bosom Buddies. It's pretty much a terrible show, by any standard.

3. Agree on both counts!! I hadn't realized MeTV was running Buck Rogers -- I'll have to set the DVR and remind myself just how bad it really was. But I sure liked it when it first ran, when I was age 10-12 roughly (I was born in '69).

WKRP will absolutely stand the test of time, though, as I suspect will Barney Miller.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Welcome Back Kotter was my favorite show as a kid. My wife has been going through the whole series on reruns lately, and I have trouble watching them now. It really doesn't hold up.

daca, Moshe, rod and 1 other person like this.
  5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Really?

I've watched a few of them in recent weeks, and they are cringe-worthy at times, and very tired and dated humor. I worked in radio 40 years ago, and thought then that WKRP was fantastic. Today? Nearly unwatchable.

rod and Grunge Master like this.
  6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Space:1999

Used to like this back in the day (when I was 10!).....but time has not been kind.

Blastproof and mr. steak like this.
  7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I loved The Partridge Family as a kid. Just started watching the first few episodes from season 1, including the first (pilot?).

Anyhow, what strikes me is how well cast this show was (minus Tracy and Chris, but they never really mattered). The chemistry is pretty much there from the git go. Susan Dey is especially watchable, good looking and mature beyond her years. Dave Madden is really good too.

But watching now as an adult, this show is absolutely ludicrous. I cannot believe they wasted the cast on such insipid episodes, seemingly on the lowest of budgets. Famous pop band performing at a picnic, or whatever. And, why is the audience full of 60 year old stuffed shirts?

I can watch about five minutes, then FF to the song of the day, and then, out.

Steve Litos and Jrr like this.
  8. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I can’t watch Adam 12 anymore, but have no problems with CHiPs, Dragnet or Emergency. Go figure.

Can’t watch:
    Hee Haw
    Lost In Space, Season 2
    M*A*S*H
    Happy Days
    Good Times
    Mary Tyler Moore (but yes to Bob Newhart)
    Excepting the musical segments, The Monkees. Same with The Beatles cartoon.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Sadly, "Planet of the Apes" was cancelled in its first (and only) season... It was the victim of a bad time-slot and a network that did *nothing* to really promote or back the show... I have the issues of the old "POTA" magazine from the 70s and there's an interview with Mark Lenard ("Urko" on the TV series) where he says something along the lines of the then head of CBS said something like "I will not have an 'Apes' show on my network", so you can see how much support it got from the network brass before it even went on the air... Of course, it did end up on CBS, where it was pretty much doomed from the start, initially being set to air on Tuesday nights, then moved to the TV graveyard of Friday night before it even aired (where it was up against two huge shows of the day, "Sanford and Son" and "Chico and the Man"), and then being cancelled because it wasn't attracting enough of or the right kind of viewers... I have a deluxe edition of the "Behind the POTA" documentary, and it includes a 2 hour interview with Roddy McDowall and when they get to talking about the TV series, he says how the show was dead in the water before it even aired and how the brass would say "Oh, we love the show" but they did absolutely nothing to support it or try to save it from cancellation...

I really wish the show would have been gang-busters over here like it was in the UK, where it was a top rated series, which they aired several times from 1975 to around 1977 or so... The CBS network should have paid attention to that, seen the show could have been huge, and rescheduled it to a better time slot and gave the show a little more time to find an audience... Then leave the show in a good time-slot, and then air the repeats over the Summer where it could have easily picked up more audience (like what happened with M*A*S*H in its early days)...

PS: In addition to the show not attracting the "right audience", "POTA" was supposed to have been the most expensive TV series on the air up to that point, so they used that against it as well...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Grand_Ennui

Agreed, Dave was really good on the show, and the Rueben Kincaid/Danny Partridge dynamic was some of the best stuff on the show...

"The Partridge Family" isn't my favorite show of all time, but I find it watchable... Different strokes for different folks and all that...

fr in sc likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Yeah, "Howlin' Mad" (that was his nickname, wasn't it?) Murdock was my favorite of the characters on the show... I remember the kids down the road liking him too, although I don't recall if he was their favorite-It might have been "B.A." (Mr. T's character)...

Anyway, you're right about them never shooting anything... M-16s, occasional explosives, the works and nobody got killed that I can ever recall... Even when we watched the series, my brother and I would comment on that aspect of the show...

Lightworker likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

I would say that's true for me too, for a large amount of the shows I used to watch anyway... I'm seeing shows listed in here and thinking "I love that show!"...

bmasters9 and j_rocker like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx for the info.
    Again a underrated show !!!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Seinfeld

Keith V, Moshe and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

We used to joke about those "kinder, gentler Ruger Mini-14s" that never could hit anything, Normally, they are tactically effective up to about 150 yards.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Silver Spoons... used to love that show as a kid but completely unwatchable now.

17. Grand_Ennui

I'm not to the point of finding "Seinfeld" unwatchable, but I can see where people could get burned out on it since it's on so much...

Keith V, Regginold31 and Lightworker like this.
  18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yaga zuzi,
    Yaga zuzi,
    Yaga zuzi zim!

19. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Family Guy
    Futurama
    That 70's Show
    House
    Later seasons of Law & Order (around season 11 onward)
    Law & Order SVU
    Law & Order CI (except the episodes with Chris Noth as Mike Logan)
    Later seasons of MASH (around season 8, onward)
    Star Trek - Voyager
    Bewitched (the Dick Sargent episodes)
    Andy Griffith Show (the color episodes)
    And to a lesser degree:
    Seinfeld
    Star Trek - TNG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    bmasters9 likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Really?

21. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Anyone here remember Science Fiction Theatre? I'm sure my age is showing. As a little kid, I thought this was a little corny and low-budget, but still cool, late at night on an old B&W TV. I recently bought the DVD out of nostalgia, and couldn't even get through the first two episodes. Gave it to the public library. Today, it plays like a fourth-rate The Outer Limits.

[​IMG]

22. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Seinfeld was the second-best sitcom ever, after The Honeymooners. I can still watch all those shows and never get sick of them.

j_rocker likes this.
  23. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

:tsk:

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I find Futurama incredibly rewatchable, probably the most rewatchable animated show ever produced - no embarrassing ethnic stereotypes, no cringe-inducing humor.

25. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Became too preachy.

fr in sc, jupiter8 and Grand_Ennui like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.