My conclusion is Led Zeppelin Presence my #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I like Presence. I can't go as far as to say it's my favorite LZ (sorry but that'll always be Physical Graffiti), but it's definitely in my top 3 or 4 for them. I always think of it as their "rainy day" album, because I first heard it on a rainy summer day and some of the tracks (esp. "Tea For One") seem to fit. (Likewise, LZ III is a spring album, LZ IV is a winter sounding album and Houses is a "first day of summer" album).

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I invite anyone here to check out our ongoing Zeppelin song-by-song thread. We have about 2 more PG songs to go before we start discussing the Presence songs.

pablo fanques and Xodus like this.
  2. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

The cool thing about Achilles is that it's like a mixture of Immigrant Song, Stairway to Heaven, The Song Remains The Same and Kashmir, but with something "extra" to keep it from sounding derivative of those songs.

3. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

I love all three of those songs!

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  4. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Thank you!! I thought I was the only person that liked Hots. It's prime crazy Zep,
    just rhythmic as hell, and all of them swinging away. And that solo is one of Page's wildest!

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  5. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Depending on the day, it'll switch with III as my favorite. It's always a treat to hear ALS or NFBM. Like with most artists, the reason I dig them the most is because I haven't been overexposed to them; not trying to be a contrarian. I know the difference between my favorite and "best" album. I know III and Presence aren't their best but they are my favorites.

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

My first Zep LP, and one of my favorites still. I think “Royal Orleans” works a lot better than “The Crunge”, “Tea For One” works better than “Since I’ve Been Loving You”, “Achilles Last Stand” is the drummer’s and producer’s finest ten minutes, “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” is a monstrous piledriver, and “Candy Store Rock” a fine homage to their love of 50’s rock’n’roll, not to mention a good way to mark Swan Song’s signing of Dave Edmunds. The only downer for me is “Hots On For Nowhere” which is one of the very few tracks by anyone which I find intensely irritating, and anyway pales compared to “The Wanton Song”. And let’s not forget that the record sleeve is their most mysterious and oblique.

7. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Since I've Been Loving You is probably my favourite Zep number and it contains perhaps ny favourite Page solo, so to say that their sequel of that song, Tea For One, "works better" is pure blasphemy. I'll pardon you seeing how it's Christmas.:D

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  8. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I’ll just say that “Tea For One” is their finest blues. “Since I’ve Been Loving You” is one of their finest... whatever it is. Not quite a blues. Or rather, it’s a sterling example, along with “You Shook Me”, of how Zep manhandled the blues into something... louder and heavier. But “Tea For One” I feel stands with anything the blues masters recorded.

padesu, Scott Sheagren and Llyrren like this.
  9. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

For about 20 years "Presence" is the only Led Zeppelin album I still enjoy listening to.

10. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

It’s my least favorite (excluding Coda) but still very good

11. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

It is my favourite too. I find the artwork compliments the music so well. It is the music you would expect at this point in their carrerr but not the vibe. It is very dry and heavy but, not in the heavy metal sense. I love the sound of the album and the music is great. ​

Rockin' Robby and Scott Sheagren like this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

2nd favorite after Physical Graffiti. Achilles is my favorite LZ song.

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I like Presence.
    It's a good album it's just different.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

LZ was a fav of mine from 1975 until about 2005 when they started running out of gas with me.Presence was never in my top LZ five.More power to you.:pineapple:

15. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Thanks to your thread, and getting the All The Songs book for xmas, i bought Presence last night. Not much different than i recall, but hearing it on headphones for maybe the first time, the bass playing stands out more. This album seems very bass driven to me. And the different guitar parts are clearer. Still seems like there are no lead guitar solos on Royal and Candy, which gives the album an unfinished feel to me. I like the first song better than before, though it still sounds like The Charge Of The Light Brigade.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Despite a couple of good tracks, Presence has a sort of dullness about it compared to all the sparkling, intoxicating albums that preceeded it.

California Couple likes this.
  17. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

It may be their worst album lyrically. Though that is not easy to tell, since you cannot hear what he is singing half the time.

18. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I'll take In Through the Out Door
    over Presence

any day.

BDC likes this.
  19. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I thought it was an absolute bore when I first heard it and now its grown on me to such an extent that it's now my third favorite Zep album behind the debut and hoth!

This also might be one for the controversial thread but I perfer Tea for One to Since I've Been Loving You.

padesu, Rockin' Robby and Llyrren like this.
  20. Xodus

Xodus Forum Resident

Me too. "Since I've Been Loving You" is ballsier, while 'Tea For One" has a beautiful fragility to it. When I first heard it, though, I almost bailed on it because of the fake out intro.

21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've always dug it, it has an ominous undercurrent somehow. Achilles Last Stand was a great achievement.

Rockin' Robby and Crimson Witch like this.
  22. Not one of my favorites, but the 3 strongest songs on it make it essential. I guess for me the lack of instrumental variety (acoustic instrumentation and keyboards) puts this album on the lower tier.

23. meimnoone

meimnoone Forum Resident

Group the first three together
    Fourth and Fifth together
    Take off the outtakes on Graffiti, and anything on Presence
    would fit with the 1975 Graffiti tracks.
    Just an opinion, always liked Presence.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I like it. It's a lot better than ITTOD and HOTH, imo, and only suffers (but not much!) by comparison with 1-lV and PG.

Plus, ALS is my all-time favourite Zep track.

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Nobody's Fault But Mine was the first Zep track I ever heard - on the radio, aged 14. I didn't know what to make of it and other 'fans' at school had never even heard of it. :)

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.