Losing Bass Frequencies Again?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Had the problem before and I think it was either related to my amp of cartridge which might have been adjusting a little as it was brand new.
    Now I think its starting to happen again, dont recall bass passages of some of my favorites being this lacking in impact and grunt.
    Anyone got ideas of how to test for a solution?

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Try another source with the same music to determine whether the problem is related to your turntable.

3. Leonthepro

The only problem is that I dont have another source that I know very well. I could pull up Aja and Dark Side on Spotify but I have no idea if those are as bassy as my records. And its not like theres no bass at all, just weaker than I remember.

4. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Can you borrow an amp or turntable from someone else to use in your system as a test?

5. Leonthepro

I could possibly borrow a turntable, but that would mean switching carts too which sort of throws a wrench in the test.

6. Leonthepro

Before it seemed to just go back to normal over time. And one thing I suspect might be at play here is the VTF. Anyone know if VTF can affect bass performance or not?

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

FM radio has bass. Try that.

dennis the menace likes this.
  8. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

At least then you could eliminate your amp as the source of the problem, right?

9. Leonthepro

I suppose, or if his cart just has less bass then I still wouldnt know what the problem is.

10. Leonthepro

Turning off my amp for a while at least, to see if that changes anything. Tried a track online that I know pretty well on vinyl and it seems a bit whimpy too, but Im not sure.

11. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I would try a different amp to see if this changes the bass response at all. I have never listened to a Cyrus 2 amp but have read that it can sound thin, lacking bass, to some people. If a different amp results in a lack of bass response then you know that you may need to adjust VTF and VTA to get dialed in. I would start with VTA and then adjust VTF because it will change as you adjust the VTA. I see you're turntable is a Rega RP1? I don't believe there is any VTA adjustment on your table. Any easy work around is using thinner or thicker platter mat's to get you where you need to be. Nagoaka recommends a VTF of 1.8 - 2.0 grams. The heavier (closer to 2 grams) you set the VTF, the more bass you will usually get.
    Your loudspeakers are rated to go down to 35hz, plenty of bass for your room. You may need to play with speaker placement to get the best bass response as well.

I hope this helps

12. Leonthepro

Thanks, but this is not a thread for optimizing bass performance, its a problem of losing it in general compared to normal listening. I was quite happy with some bass performance my setup yielded with the right source, but not so right now.
    And yes, VTA is not adjustable on the RP1 and Ive always heard that people who shim for their Nags never hear any changes, which is pretty logical considering the stylus shape, its no exotic profile.
    I might try different VTF when I get a digital scale though.

Chazz likes this.
  13. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

That being said, the easiest way to test initially is to adjust the VTF when you get a scale. If that doesn't yield results, then try a different amp.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Looks like turning the amp off for a day or so has not helped. Next I should try VTF changes probably.
    I think it might be the amp though as Ive tried more digital tracks and none seem to reach good seat shaking bass.

15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Did you move speakers or is there any other thing that has changed in your room? Just ruling all other possibilities out ...

16. Leonthepro

Ive not moved my speakers in a while, and I cant really think of anything I changed recently. Thing is I remember this happening, or something similar to it when I changed carts from the Nag 110 to the 200. I had the VTF at around 2.0 at first since I was using a bad scale. When I figured that out I changed it to 1.75 and decided to put it there since it didnt sound all that different anyway. Later on I noticed this lack of bass, it was clear as day and I thought some of my new hifi records were just bass shy at first, but I soon found out that it was not the problem.
    Then just randomly it seems my records started to have bass again and I reasoned that the Nag just needed a little time to get used to the lighter tracking.
    Now that its happening again Im really confused though since the cart has not been moved at all. And since digital tracks seems bass lacking as well I think it might be the amp this time. I will check all the wiring too, just because I guess.

bever70 likes this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Have you checked the voltage on your AC line ?

Kyhl and Leonthepro like this.
  18. Leonthepro

Nope, dont have any tools for that.

19. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

All you need is multimeter.

20. Leonthepro

Which I dont have, but I might be able to get one in a while. Not sure what voltage I should have though.

21. tman53

You can find them pretty cheap. What voltage you should have is determined by the supplier to your home. You should check with them and then check your home. Your measurements should fall into the spec determined by the supplier.

22. tman53

If you do have swings in voltage it could be an issue. If severe enough it could damage components.

Kyhl and Leonthepro like this.
  23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That was my thought. I still haven't tested my voltage.

Here's a short version of why I suspect it.
    A year ago my system sounded fine. Then I boxed it up. Marked speaker locations on the floor using tape. Emptied the room to fix and sand walls prior to painting.

Skip forward to October 2018 and the gear goes back into place. Treatments go back into place. Power it up and the bass was missing. I tried moving speakers around for three months. Even started speaker shopping.

Bring on the polar vortex last week and our power flickered off for a few seconds. It was a pucker moment with outside temps at -20F and heading lower. The next neighborhood west was without power for 7 hours.

The next day I'm listening and it seemed like the bass was back. Listened again the next couple nights and it sure seems like whatever they changed fixed our power too. My system sounds better now.
    Someday I'll measure but tonight, after having a beer in the driveway with the neighbor post shoveling, I'm content to open another beer and enjoy.

Leonthepro and johnny q like this.
  24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t bother faffing with VTF. I don’t believe it will make a massive difference. What about the speakers? Are they working properly?

bever70 and Leonthepro like this.
  25. Leonthepro

How can I tell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.