Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Ok, I finally had a chance to dig my copy up and here is the runout groove info:

SIDE 1: 8E-6001 A-2 SP
    SIDE 2: 8E-6001 B-2 SP 1-15M1-1 JOHN M
    SIDE 3: 8E-6001 C-SP
    SIDE 4: 8E-6001 D1 SP

All have that CR contained inside an "S"

The vinyl is very noisy and the music has no dynamics at all. My individual vinyl Doors studio albums sound much better than this collection, though that isn't saying much. I've no need for the vinyl anyway - I have the 4 DCC CD's and remasters for SP and MH.

One thing I see on side 4 - the side is around 23 minutes long but the runout groove area is about twice as long as the other sides which means this was cut at a very low volume. Lower volume = more surface noise. All sides pretty much sound like poop though.

It's albums like this one that made me rejoice when CD's came around.

Great songs and sequencing though! :thumbsup:

2. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I have a 2 CDR set a friend made for me with includes both LPS and you still have some room for a few more missed LP tracks. I did the same thing years ago with I compiled both LPS on to a c120 Tape and theen got rid of all my Doors lp's!!!! AKKKKK. I figured this was all I needed at the time..that was years before.. He's Young, Hes hot and hes dead! lol

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Right now I regret not buying that mint German LP of Weird Scenes I saw at an out-of-town record strore last year.

Not my first regret I ever had in music collecting, nor probably my last either.

agundy likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thanks for checking your vinyl. Sorry to hear that your pressing sounds so bad! I'll have to do a needle drop of mine at some point and upload some excerpts to the forum.

5. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

And,with the video comps they've put,they've never included the complete "Unknown Soldier" promo,American Bandstand or their first TV appearence doing "Break On Through" on a local LA show "Shebang!",hosted by Casey Casem.(Look how long it took them to release "The End" from ROCK SCENE:LIKE IT IS,Canadian TV,10/67).

6. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I picked one of these up on ebay for a few bucks. The seller didn't list it as a German LP so i was a bit surprised when it arrived. In a quick A/B it seems to beat my US copy although not by much. Both sound great to me.

My US copy isn't an SRC, the numbers:
    8E-6001-A CTH
    8E-6001-B CTH
    8E-6001-C-1 CTH
    8E-6001-D-1 CTH
    First pressing maybe. And sides 1 and 4 are on one lp, 2 and 3 on the other.

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I have this on vinyl (red and black elektra label) and the sound is amazing!

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The way everyone pitches a fit when yet another Doors comp is released, I'm kind of surprised at the responses on this thread.
    That being said, this is my fave of all of them. "13", as well. I grew up with those lps., and loved them at the time. They are just compilations, people!
    Get all the cds/lps and make your own comps, or.. wait for the new box. This one looks to be pretty good....:righton:

9. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Well, I just cleaned up my copy and listened to it today thru the headphones. I must say it does sound kinda thin, but it's not bad considering what it is. There is still some vinyl noise, but that is because you have to crank it up so far just to hear it, due to the small grooves. If I switched over to the CD at the same volume while my new CD of Bob Seger- Face The Promise was playing, I'm sure I'd rattle the windows out of the house.:uhhuh:
    Listening to this one again did bring back memories of late night listening sessions with a bottle of Southern Comfort by my side. Thankfully, those days were gone years ago, and listening with a hot cup of Maxwell House, I was able to actually hear the music for what it is.
    Surprising, my vinyl is still in great shape though, considering it was played mostly on a cheap BSR changer when I first got it.
    I think I'm going to do what was suggested earlier, and make my own CD using the tracks from the individual CD's, and needledroping "You Need Meat" (I might just needledrop the whole LP while I'm at it, soon as I get some longer cables).
    :cool:

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

My Canadian pressing sure doesn't sound thin to me! Here's an mp3 needle-drop excerpt from "Spanish Caravan" - please let me know what you think:

http://deus-ex1.com/Spanish_Caravan.mp3

The matrix numbers from my pressing are in the following post:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2040182&postcount=38

I do admit I can hear some surface noise in headphones, as it is cut quiet, but I find the overall fidelity of this album is much better than average. A very nice sounding record!

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

...or not. :p

It sure sounds good to me, anyway.

12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That makes no sense, because the cover of their debut album emphasizes Jim more than the others, and they never seemed to have a problem with that.

13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

I already reneged on my opinion . . . but they are on a crusade to emphasize the "band" and not Morrison alone.

14. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

What about the "Morrison Hotel" album?

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That too, but Jim is not quite as dominant as on 'The Doors' cover.

16. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

I was talking about the name, not the pic.

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

On the other hand, I pulled out my vinyl Doors 13 for a quick listen and this sounds really nice. Much better than Weird Scenes... I think I'll need to make a needle-drop of this one.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I'll say it once again, the Canadian pressing I have of "Weird Scenes" sounds quite nice. :D Listen to the sample of "Spanish Caravan" I posted earlier. Maybe they used the tapes marked "Do Not Use". :shh:

19. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

My dad has this album, but I never listened to it much when I was growing up. The one that hooked me was the two disc "best of" CD set that came out in the '80s. Later on, I made a tape copy of that set and added songs that seemed like glaring omissions to me, like "Moonlight Drive."

I like that "Weird Scenes..." isn't a conventional compilation by any means. I might have to burn the track listing, just for kicks.

20. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What a puzzling choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.